Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member – things seem fine?
New member – things seem fine?
Hi everyone!

First, I wanna say how much I appreciate this forum and all of the contributors. With the wealth of information here, I feel like I’ve really been able to take my health and future into my own hands.
Thanks

After finally admitting I could benefit from using a CPAP (it’s a somewhat long story that involves shame and denial!), I realized I needed information and data in order to evaluate how my therapy was going. So, I got SleepyHead and an SD card. For the past 1.5 months, I’ve been looking at my data, but it’s not terribly interesting.

My AHI is usually 0.3 or lower. My 95% pressure is ~6. And after getting a few comfort items (HoseBuddy, Lanolin Cream), the thing I'm working on now is trying to consistently prevent my mouth from falling open because it is causing my partner to wake up from the noise of air whooshing out my mouth.

I’ve tried several methods: 1.) the tape method (rubbing tape residue off my upper lip in the morning is not a ritual I want to make permanent); 2.) tongue-sucking(?) method (this sort of works but is inconsistent); 3.) a soft cervical collar (didn’t love not being able to bend my neck); 4.) a single strap chin strap (doesn’t work, falls off every time); and 5.) SleepWell Pro chin-strap (I appear to be mildly allergic to the neoprene material, but it does a pretty good job).

I ordered another chin strap today that is a different material and doesn’t go under my ears (which was also an unexpected problem). So, we will see. I've even considered modifying the ones I already have, but I may not have to do that.

Other than that, upon first use of my CPAP with nasal pillows, I started feeling less randomly tired and I started having dreams again! I also feel like I had less cravings for sweets, or at least more ability to control the cravings. So, those are nice positives!

In conclusion, I don't have any specific questions, but am dealing with some sub-optimal situations and am open to any advice.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member – things seem fine?
Remember a full face mask is not a failure just a different tool if you can’t stop the mouth leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. How bad are your leaks?  If they're not too bad and they don't bother you than it may not be a big thing. If they're crossing over the red line alot on SleepyHead than you may want to try the Full Face Mask.

If you want you can post a chart here to show your leak rates. The instructions for posting sleepyhead are below.

Great job on the low AHI numbers. Just a heads up the AHI numbers can read lower than they actually are due to leaks if they're bad enough.

Welcome
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi merkySuperNova,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting it adjusted to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
see how you with the mouth breathing, I needed to move to what's called a full face mask, that covers the mouth and nose.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi merkySuperNova,

I think you have got it well sussed Big Grin 
All the shortfalls you have picked up already.
You will find ways round most of them or learn to put up with them.
If not ask.

Welcome to the forum.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 50 865 1 hour ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [Treatment] New User; Fine Tuning- First 3 Days of Data jgthegrouch 9 421 01-16-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: jgthegrouch
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  [Pressure] A few weeks in, how can I fine tune my settings? Keicereal 5 371 12-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Keicereal

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.