Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member & Cpap user.
Idea 
New member & Cpap user.
Hello fellow sleep cpap/bipap users.

I'm fairly new to cpap, and I have LOTS of questions. I have read through the threads & got some general information. But I wanted to introduce myself and get familiar with using forums. I hope I'm in the right thread, but I have one of two significant questions about the machine I'm using. Has anyone else heard a clicking sound coming from the ResMed S9 machine when it's off during the day? When I turn on the machine I don't hear the clicking ( like every 10 secs when it's off) but that's probraly because I'm hearing the air. It's kinda annoying if I'm sitting in my room hanging out. Even though the sound is sudle it's noticable.

My next question is about the mask, I have a nasal mask and even though I've used it for 2 days, my upper lip feels irriated like I can tell somethings been sitting on my lip all night. Is this normal? What can I do to relieve the feeling? Thanks ahead for any feedback that's given.Thanks[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member & Cpap user.
(04-09-2014, 05:48 PM)mstiff027 Wrote: Hello fellow sleep cpap/bipap users.

I'm fairly new to cpap, and I have LOTS of questions. I have read through the threads & got some general information. But I wanted to introduce myself and get familiar with using forums. I hope I'm in the right thread, but I have one of two significant questions about the machine I'm using. Has anyone else heard a clicking sound coming from the ResMed S9 machine when it's off during the day? When I turn on the machine I don't hear the clicking ( like every 10 secs when it's off) but that's probraly because I'm hearing the air. It's kinda annoying if I'm sitting in my room hanging out. Even though the sound is sudle it's noticable.

My next question is about the mask, I have a nasal mask and even though I've used it for 2 days, my upper lip feels irriated like I can tell somethings been sitting on my lip all night. Is this normal? What can I do to relieve the feeling? Thanks ahead for any feedback that's given.Thanks[/font]

Yes. I know that clicking thing. It's when the miserable cats are messing around on my nightstand. But wait, my miserable cats aren't at your house. Do you have any miserable cats?

Awhile back I believe it was "Zonk" who replied to a thread asking about strange noises. I believe what he asked was whether or not there was any other electronic things close to the machine. Such as a telephone, or maybe some clocks or clock radios, or super high-powered light sabers.... That sort of stuff.

About the mask sitting on your lip? Yes, I've experienced that. I believe the problem was solved by slightly lessening the tension on the bottom straps, but not so much as to create a leak. I know it was solved by going to a different mask. But that's not why I went to a different mask, so that's a story for another day.

Welcome to the board!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mstiff027,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I have heard that clicking sound with my machine, but it never was loud enough to bother me and now that I've been doing this for so long, I have just gotten use to it and don't notice it.
Hang in there for answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

I'm fairly new to cpap, and I have LOTS of questions.

First off. Welcome to the Board! can't answer your first question but I'm sure someone else with a S9 can. Question two. I'm with Retired -guy try easing up the lower strap a little. Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 06:20 PM)retired_guy Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 05:48 PM)mstiff027 Wrote: Hello fellow sleep cpap/bipap users.

Yes. I know that clicking thing. It's when the miserable cats are messing around on my nightstand. But wait, my miserable cats aren't at your house. Do you have any miserable cats?

Awhile back I believe it was "Zonk" who replied to a thread asking about strange noises. I believe what he asked was whether or not there was any other electronic things close to the machine. Such as a telephone, or maybe some clocks or clock radios, or super high-powered light sabers.... That sort of stuff.

About the mask sitting on your lip? Yes, I've experienced that. I believe the problem was solved by slightly lessening the tension on the bottom straps, but not so much as to create a leak. I know it was solved by going to a different mask. But that's not why I went to a different mask, so that's a story for another day.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the welcome & btw your quite comical retired_guy - I like that lol (makes me feel @ ease.)Smile I would like to check that post about the clicking noise, do you know how I can pull that thread up? I haved the slightess idea on how I can pull it up!! And my healthcare company did inform me I have 30 days to return my mask and get fitted for a different one, but it's only been 2 days so I'll TRY to give it a little more time. Cause if I have to deal with this feeling everyday I'll go nuts & they'll have to treat me for something else lol Bigwink . I'll try lossen up a lil on the headstraps. I also wanted to know is it HIGHLY RECOMMENED that I empty my water chamber to my h5i everyday? Theres always a lot of water still in it by the end of the night, I hate wasting all that distilled water I pay for.Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 05:48 PM)mstiff027 Wrote: Has anyone else heard a clicking sound coming from the ResMed S9 machine when it's off during the day? When I turn on the machine I don't hear the clicking ( like every 10 secs when it's off)
I have not heard but read some complain about the problem, the annoying 10 secs clicking from the humidifier, you can power down the machine (holding on/off button for few secs), switch the machine, or even get it replaced

As for mask irritation, try mask liners ... pad a cheek, Remzzz liners and don,t over-tighten the straps and ensure the cushion is the right size and fitted correctly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wblTdWRpR...FFBD8C9BAE

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 06:53 PM)mstiff027 Wrote: Thanks for the welcome & btw your quite comical retired_guy - I like that lol (makes me feel @ ease.)Smile I would like to check that post about the clicking noise, do you know how I can pull that thread up? I haved the slightess idea on how I can pull it up!! And my healthcare company did inform me I have 30 days to return my mask and get fitted for a different one, but it's only been 2 days so I'll TRY to give it a little more time. Cause if I have to deal with this feeling everyday I'll go nuts & they'll have to treat me for something else lol Bigwink . I'll try lossen up a lil on the headstraps. I also wanted to know is it HIGHLY RECOMMENED that I empty my water chamber to my h5i everyday? Theres always a lot of water still in it by the end of the night, I hate wasting all that distilled water I pay for.Dont-know

Bottom up: No, I don't empty my water chamber every day. I do break down and clean it once in awhile. But day-day-day I just top it off with more distilled water.

Yes, try the mask for a little while. Sometimes I think we dump our masks without really giving them a fair shot. So a few more days since you've got a month. In the meantime read up on the various ones around here and see if there's something that strikes your fancy. Or someone else's fancy for that matter. I began with the same nasal mask you're using and had ok luck with it, but nothing to write home about. Mostly because I have to use a chinstrap to keep my mouth shut at night (my wife does it for me during the day) I decided to go to a full face mask. Of the two I tried, I like the Quattro Air the best. So it has become my number 2 go to guy. The number 1 go to guy is the Airfit P10. I'm doing very well with that mask.

As far as pulling up Zonk's comment is concerned, you could try reading all his posts. But that would take you awhile. So just stick around and I imagine he'll show up. I believe he lives in one of those Southern Suburbs (Australia or something) so he functions on a little different time frame. In the meantime, next time you visit your bedroom look around for anything that could be sending goofy messages to your machine. Like miserable cats or something.

EDIT: Well fancy that, even as I was speaking he was speaking! So you don't have to wait for Zonk anymore.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mstiff027,
To answer your question about emptying the water chamber when it's almost full, I don't and you'll get many different opinions about that, (Ha-Ha.) Anyway, I just top mine off about every other night, YMMV, of course.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 07:22 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi mstiff027,
To answer your question about emptying the water chamber when it's almost full, I don't and you'll get many different opinions about that, (Ha-Ha.) Anyway, I just top mine off about every other night, YMMV, of course.
I might have to call the homecare agency & ask if this noise is normal?!? & figure out what I should do. I don't have anything electronic sitting next to it that would interfere with it so that's not it.

Thanks Zonk!! I will look into those liners if I continue feeling the irritation on the top of my lip. I wanna be compliant with the therapy so I'll try before I say, "I hate this mess" & give up.

trish6hundred yeah I see there are different opinions about whether or not to dispose the water in the chamber each night or not. My homecare agency told me to empty it cause you don't want to breath in things into your lungs thats been sitting night & day. I just wanna be more "economical" especially if I'm paying for the water to fill it every night. I want to make sure it'll be ok to refill it as it gets low idk. Maybe I'll figure it out as I go but just wanted to know what others do. Is there a thread on this subject by any chance anyone?
Post Reply Post Reply
Tip with the humidifier -- don't fill it up Smile I only put in enough water so that it just reaches the bottom of the yellow "MAX" tab in the tub. You'll eventually figure out how much water to use, though it is highly dependent on the ambient humidity of your room. I've not heard any clicking noises from my S9 -- you can disconnect the humidifier to try to narrow down if it is coming from the humidifier or the blower unit.

BTW: I empty my humidifier tub every morning. Dark wet/humid places would just encourage mold growth I would think (if not in the tub, inside the H5i Humidifier unit itself).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,370 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 154 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 200 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,734 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,233 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,109 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,693 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.