Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member & Cpap user.
RE: New member & Cpap user.
(04-10-2014, 02:07 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: trish6hundred, pink is a lovely color! All shades of it!!! My Dad is 82. I think he has had sleep apnea too. He has always snored since I can remember and in January underwent open heart quadruple bypass surgery. He is doing very well right now following surgery. He has lost weight in the last year as he and my Mom have cut back on their food intake and even share one entree when they go out to dinner. My Mom tells me she doesn't hear him snore like he once did since losing weight. I am now trying to talk my brother into getting a sleep study. He is a big man and snores. I keep working on him. He has some other issues distracting him at home at the present time and I keep reminding him to get checked.
I know what you mean, my dad has snored since I was a kid, talk about wrattling the walls. Anyway, my dad had bypass surgery, too. When he was in the hospital, they were concerned about his snoring and tried to put a mask on him and boy, he raised a fuss over that. He told me about that and I told him he was a wimp; here he went under the knife and griped about a mask with some air coming out of it, amazing. He had all that pain and yet complained about a little air in his face.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 02:56 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: I know what you mean, my dad has snored since I was a kid, talk about wrattling the walls. Anyway, my dad had bypass surgery, too. When he was in the hospital, they were concerned about his snoring and tried to put a mask on him and boy, he raised a fuss over that. He told me about that and I told him he was a wimp; here he went under the knife and griped about a mask with some air coming out of it, amazing. He had all that pain and yet complained about a little air in his face.

In defense of your pop: We're required to throw a fit over the little things. That way, when something big comes along you'll give us the unbending sympathy to which we feel we are due.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 10:35 AM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: Welcome to the forum mstiff027. I have noticed both you and trish6hundred have the ResMed S9 AutoSet "for her" and both mention the clicking noise. I have the ResMed S9 AutoSet. I was disappointed my DME didn't supply me with the 'for her' model. My ResMed does not make any clicking noise though. I wonder if it is something with the "for her" model. Why that would be I don't know ... I assumed ResMed and ResMed for her were just different colors (pink). For my ResMed, I bought a pretty skinit with orchid design and have gotten over that I didn't get a pink machine Smile

As for the humidifier tub, I just top mine off. I dump it once a week and clean it with the rest of my equipment. I use distilled water while at home but while traveling I use tap water in hotels. My tub uses different amounts of water depending on how dry it is in the house. We have a wood stove and in the winter with the stove burning, it has to be filled every night. I have some left over after one use but not enough to get it through a second night. We have stopped burning the stove for the season and I can get two full nights before I need to fill it. It will depend on the humidity setting you have on your machine too. The higher the setting, the more water it will put out.

I am not familiar with your mask. I use the Swift FX nasal pillow and like it a lot. I am considering getting the 'for her' size when I am due for a new mask next month. The headgear I have now fits 'ok' but I have to adjust it a lot especially now that I have used it for 4 months and the straps are getting stretched. Hoping the for her size will fit a little better.

Good luck with your therapy. Stay around, read a lot and ask questions. This is the place to be. Folks here are encouraging, and full of good information.

Imasurvivor thanks for your response. I talked with my Homecare agency earlier & asked about the clicking that's going on, on my machine & she assured me that the noise is normal. The manufacturer supposedly knows about it and said it won't harm anything. As to why it clicks she couldn't say. I just feel better now knowing it's not a real machanical issue. As for my machine color it is not pink (although that would be kinda nice if it was) WAIT should it be, if it's the "her" model? Anyway I'll look into Skin It soon so I can decorate it some. Boy!! It's a lot that goes into managing Cpap therapy, it's quite overwhelming (big sigh!!.) Thank God for these forums to talk & brainstorm with people.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 03:29 PM)retired_guy Wrote: In defense of your pop: We're required to throw a fit over the little things. That way, when something big comes along you'll give us the unbending sympathy to which we feel we are due.

Why are men big ole babies when their sick?? If they have a lil cold or something it's the end of the world lol. Retired_guy I know you can answer on behalf of the men. Do you know why is that? Trish6hundred's dad went through a major surgery but couldn't deal with some air in the face lol. Cute though.
Post Reply Post Reply
When dad was talking to me about that a few years back, when he had his surgery, I did try to sympathize with him. He said, it felt like 15 pounds of air hittin' me in the face. I said, yeah, I'm sure it felt like that, but really it wasn't that much. I was just amazed that he didn't make any fuss when he went in for open-heart surgery but he really did about the "15 pounds of air" in his face, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 10:04 PM)mstiff027 Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 03:29 PM)retired_guy Wrote: In defense of your pop: We're required to throw a fit over the little things. That way, when something big comes along you'll give us the unbending sympathy to which we feel we are due.

Why are men big ole babies when their sick?? If they have a lil cold or something it's the end of the world lol. Retired_guy I know you can answer on behalf of the men. Do you know why is that? Trish6hundred's dad went through a major surgery but couldn't deal with some air in the face lol. Cute though.

Well it's because we.... well, we ......... just a minute while I ask my wife. No, on the other hand that wouldn't be too good of an idea.
I'll get back to you on that.

Edit: Ok, here's an example. Tomorrow I have to go get blood sucked out of me for a cholesterol test. Early in morning! Before my wife even has an opportunity to feed me my breakfast!

I know, extreme, but now I think you understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2014, 10:14 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: When dad was talking to me about that a few years back, when he had his surgery, I did try to sympathize with him. He said, it felt like 15 pounds of air hittin' me in the face. I said, yeah, I'm sure it felt like that, but really it wasn't that much. I was just amazed that he didn't make any fuss when he went in for open-heart surgery but he really did about the "15 pounds of air" in his face, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)

My Dad didn't have time to worry about the open heart surgery. It was diagnosed in January when he was diagnosed with double pneumonia and his heart enzymes were found to be high. He was sent by ambulance to a larger regional hospital where they did some tests and surgery came quick. My Dad is a real trooper. Two knees replaced (at the same time) and one hip replaced. He cares for my Mom who has macular degeneration and is very much dependent upon him. He has to do all the driving and running errands and helping my Mom with every day difficulties due to her limited vision. Mom is now facing a surgery in a couple weeks for a tumor that has been discovered on her ovary. I am concerned. I am a two time cancer survivor. I do not want her having to go through any of that bad stuff.

My parents tell me over and over and over how proud they are of me by facing head on all the medical problems I have had, doing what I need to do and moving forward ... including CPAP therapy and learning so much about it. I haven't pushed my Dad with CPAP. None of us really knew all about OSA and CPAP before my journey began in November. Dad had the heart surgery 3 months ago and is doing great and he isn't snoring now according to my Mom. His snoring seemed to diminish as he lost weight. I am pushing my brother though and letting him know the symptoms he has that go along with OSA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2014, 10:44 AM)ImaSurvivor Wrote:
(04-10-2014, 10:14 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: When dad was talking to me about that a few years back, when he had his surgery, I did try to sympathize with him. He said, it felt like 15 pounds of air hittin' me in the face. I said, yeah, I'm sure it felt like that, but really it wasn't that much. I was just amazed that he didn't make any fuss when he went in for open-heart surgery but he really did about the "15 pounds of air" in his face, (Ha-Ha-Ha.)

My Dad didn't have time to worry about the open heart surgery. It was diagnosed in January when he was diagnosed with double pneumonia and his heart enzymes were found to be high. He was sent by ambulance to a larger regional hospital where they did some tests and surgery came quick. My Dad is a real trooper. Two knees replaced (at the same time) and one hip replaced. He cares for my Mom who has macular degeneration and is very much dependent upon him. He has to do all the driving and running errands and helping my Mom with every day difficulties due to her limited vision. Mom is now facing a surgery in a couple weeks for a tumor that has been discovered on her ovary. I am concerned. I am a two time cancer survivor. I do not want her having to go through any of that bad stuff.

My parents tell me over and over and over how proud they are of me by facing head on all the medical problems I have had, doing what I need to do and moving forward ... including CPAP therapy and learning so much about it. I haven't pushed my Dad with CPAP. None of us really knew all about OSA and CPAP before my journey began in November. Dad had the heart surgery 3 months ago and is doing great and he isn't snoring now according to my Mom. His snoring seemed to diminish as he lost weight. I am pushing my brother though and letting him know the symptoms he has that go along with OSA.
Hi ImaSurvivor,
It sounds like your Dad is making great progress, that's good to hear.
I hope your Mom's surgery goes okay and that they don't find any cancer.
I hope your brother will go for a sleep study soon, with all of your encouragement to help him along.
Yeah, I don't push my dad about his apnea, he's kind of hardheaded, but that's not all bad.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a new member as of today but I have been using a CPAP for a long time.
I have a ResMed S9 and am going to Peru with altitudes over 10,000 feet at times. Do I change the pressure with higher altitude?

When I got the machine the dealer had installed a memory chip and a wireless transmitter. I had to return them after a few months but I still get delays with the message: "reading SD card." Is there a way to avoid the delays with reading an SD card which I no longer have?

I have had difficulties sleeping in the last week but I assume that it is caused by tree pollen which is high at this time. I usually do not have allergy problems.

How do I get the ResMed S9 to evaluate my sleep quality?
Post Reply Post Reply
The best thing to do about the SD card is to buy one and put it in the machine. You should have one anyway. In fact, they should have given yours back to you.

If you have the manual, it tells you what altitude the machine auto adjusts for and how to adjust it from there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,457 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,022 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,003 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,587 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 297 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.