Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member (Diagnosed with UARS)
RE: New member
Perhaps you could do as suggested and hose up while watching TV for a few minutes at a time. Familiarity reduces anxiety and all that. You may fall asleep and not even notice at the time.

I use propranolol for occasional anxiety and it works well for me.
I also use OTC L Theanine for ADHD and for me it is very effective at slowing my mental sit-n-spin.

Finding the right mask is the key and that can be a real challenge for some. I being one of them.

I was diagnosed with OSA at 62 and I know now in retrospect I have had it since I was in my teens. Having my CPAP machine has changed my life!

Hang in there and once you get this sorted out you won't believe how much better you can feel and think!
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tarah,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck wit CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 02:14 PM)tarah Wrote: O.k. right, microsteps. Like just putting the mask on without being hooked up for a few weeks or even months, until it doesnt feel like i want to rip it off and throw it in the trash.  Then reevaluate. Thanks for the perspective.

You found this forum. That was a really big step. Have faith.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2017, 01:51 PM)tarah Wrote: I tried the machine last night and it did not go well. Not only did I not come close to sleeping with it, the anxiety it's creating for me made going to sleep without it extra difficult. I slept a few hours in the early morning.

I'm going to talk with my psychiatrist this week about the machine. Anxiety can get out of control quickly for me. For now, it needs to go in the closet for a week until I can face it again. Trying to strong arm my way with it is not going to work.

tarah,
Just sitting here reading your posts and I understand the anxiety you feel.  I’ve been at this 3 years now, but it wasn’t so easy in the beginning.  Anxiety can get out of control if you let it.  My doctor took one look at me and said...”you won’t be around to enjoy your grandchildren if you don’t do this.”  Yes, that seems “strong armed”, but it worked with me.  I literally had to talk myself into this.  

Putting your machine in a closet isn’t going to work.  Out of sight...out of mind!  You have small children to raise.  Do this for them!  

Talk to your doctor!  Possibly he/she can give you something to help until you can adapt.

A Tip: Bring your machine out to a living room or an area where you can watch TV or read while wearing your mask with machine on. Do this an hour before bed. You will be surprised how fast the time flies by, and you don’t even realize the machine is on. This does work. Give it a try.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,080 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 695 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 5 337 04-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  CPAP Not Helping... Possible UARS?? TiredTim 0 155 04-02-2024, 05:24 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 25 2,238 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: subconscious
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 191 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 307 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.