Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member - Self treating snoring problem
Cool 
New member - Self treating snoring problem
32 year old male here, and tired of my wife complaining about my snoring and hitting me throughout the night to make me roll over. I've never had any sleep issues / tired issues, as long as I didn't sleep in the same bed with her. I have gained weight, about 60 lbs more than I should be carrying and since I've gained weight I've gained the snoring issue.

I ordered a used device from supplier 2. At the moment not sure which device I'll get, guess it's luck of the draw (was 75 bux). I also ordered a nasal mask too that fits my head size. Going into this blind (very high deductible insurance plan) and have started a diet / cardio plan to get back down to 155 lbs.

If you were self-treating, what would be the lowest pressure to start at? I have read the post on starting low and changing after 10 - 14 days of treatment and observation (at my own risk obviously).

I'll follow up with the device information when I receive it later this week.
Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member - Self treating snoring problem
What system did you buy? Is it an auto-titrating CPAP? There are equations that can be used to provide a "first guess" on pressure setting. The equations are not perfect but their predictions are typically within plus or minus 3 cm of the sleep study titration. A good initial sleep study would be best...
Post Reply Post Reply
the model bought is "pick of the luck" standard used cpap machine which high blower hours, So i won't know until I get the machine. I can't afford the sleep study currently because my deductible is 10,000.00 before they will cover, and I just don't have the cash on hand for the initial study and then second night to adjust the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi whodi, WELCOME! to the forum,! hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
good luck with the draw .. hopefully one of the two data capable machines S9 Autoset or PRS1 Auto with humidifier
you need to know AHI and leak rate otherwise have no clue if set pressure doing its job as should or need some adjustment

most of nasal masks comes with med size headgear but the size of the cushion is most important

this template would give an idea of size
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ow_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 11:43 PM)zonk Wrote: good luck with the draw .. hopefully one of the two data capable machines S9 Autoset or PRS1 Auto with humidifier
you need to know AHI and leak rate otherwise have no clue if set pressure doing its job as should or need some adjustment

most of nasal masks comes with med size headgear but the size of the cushion is most important
I used a template for the mask. I've got my fingers crossed for a data capable unit , otherwise I can use wife not waking me up for a baseline pressure test..
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is not data capable and you are intent on self-treatment, then you may have just wasted the money. Without the data, you have no idea if it is working or not. Snoring does not happen with all obstructive events so while it can be a kinda sorta maybe indicator, it's just a wild guess.

People can snore and not have sleep apnea. Your money would have been better spent on an oximeter first. A few nights of using one and looking at the data would have told you a lot. Dips in the blood oxygen overnight would have been a good indicator that something, most likely sleep apnea, is present. The number of times it dipped would have helped, too.

Without data, you have no way of knowing a lot of things, the primary thing being whether you are even having events. If the machine turns out to be a ResMed with "Escape" in the name or a Respironics with the word "Plus" in the name, you just bought a $75 closet decoration.

Sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it is.

Yes, it's possible to self-diagnose and self-treat but only with a data capable machine. And yes, it is possible to do the same with a non-data capable but the only "proof" you'd have is that you may or may not feel better and that the snoring may stop. There's steps to go through, each taking at least 14 days between changes.

We can help you along as much as we can. Here's hoping it is a data capable machine! I hope it is.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 12:38 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If your machine is not data capable and you are intent on self-treatment, then you may have just wasted the money. Without the data, you have no idea if it is working or not. Snoring does not happen with all obstructive events so while it can be a kinda sorta maybe indicator, it's just a wild guess.

People can snore and not have sleep apnea. Your money would have been better spent on an oximeter first. \

Sorry to be harsh, but that's the way it is.

Fair enough, and you're not being harsh. Worst case scenario I can sell the device on craigslist to someone looking for a second machine.

Currently my main goal is to stop the occasional snoring.
I don't think I have apnea - I don't show any of the symptoms besides occasional snoring (that drives my wife crazy). Hopefully the machine is data capable, but I knew I was taking the risk compared to spending 250 more for a data capable unit at the vendor's site.
Btw, I appreciate you and the others taking your time and giving me your insight.. its much more than I could get from a Dr at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whodi--Welcome. Here's another possible indicator that you're doing more than snoring. Ask your wife to check (if she hasn't already noticed it) along with snoring if she's aware of any signs of you struggling to breathe at times during sleep (when she awake due to the snoring). There could be some slight body movement (twitching) along with your struggling to breathe at times during apnea events. She may also be able to notice if there are any times you stop breathing for several seconds. These reports from my wife were my first heads-up that apnea was present.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've asked her if she noticed any pauses in breathing when I was snoring and she said it's a constant steady rate.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,567 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,484 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,330 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 899 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,469 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.