Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member - Self treating snoring problem
RE: New member - Self treating snoring problem
I called the supplier and they do have an AUTO with high blower hours that they said they will set aside and send out. I'll update the post when it arrives (model information, etc). Only details i have is it is an auto respironics unit.

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, well, frankly, to continue being harsh and blunt, if you only want to stop the snoring and if your wife does not detect any difficulty breathing (twitching, jerking, snorting, gasping), then you are wasting your money.

There's all sorts of things to try first. There's the nasal strips that athletes use to help open their nose (Breathe Right strips?). There's seeing your GP to look up and make sure you don't have any polyps. If you snore predominantly on your back, you can sew a pocket on the back of a tshirt and put a tennis ball in it. This will keep you from laying on your back. Etc etc.

Using a CPAP machine to treat just snoring is like renting a semi-trailer to bring home a single sheet of plywood. It'll work but really overkill.

But, what you can do, if you've already pay for the machine, set it for the range of 6-12 and download Sleepyhead software. After a week or more, you'll have enough data to determine if continued use is warranted. Any lower than 6 and you may feel you aren't getting enough air. If you are snoring with your mouth open, you will need either a chin strap and nasal pillow or nasal mask, or you'll need a full face mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Tried nasal strips, i snore less on my side and more on my back - but I do have hip pain from scoliosis when I lay on my side for more than a few hours. I have tried nasal and throat sprays, had a checkup on my ears and nose in the past two years and nothing was found (I've snored much longer). I'm not going into the PAP treatment lightly - I do understand it has its quirks and many people hate it resulting in them not using their machines - however I would like to quit snoring and don't mind having a bit of air pressure to keep my airways open. If the machine does record events that i didn't know about, that's even better (but I still do not have the money for a sleep study currently).

Semi-Trucks are awesome! - I did order a nasal mask and thanks for the info on the chin strap, I need to grab one of those (since i purchased the nasal mask). Any chin strap recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone live in the South (I'm in the Mississippi Gulf Coast) - Just wondering if a humidifier is necessary since it is humid down here. I know the AC and heater takes a lot of humidity out, but it's still more humid here compared to other climates.
Post Reply Post Reply
Eh. I live in western NC and don't use the humidifier at all from mid spring to late fall. But we have a pellet stove and even with a pot of water on it, the air is nasty dry. And where you live is MUCH humid-ier than here. You may not need one at all.

You can try without then get one if you need it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2012, 12:23 PM)whodi Wrote: Only details i have is it is an auto respironics unit.
it has to say Phillips Respironcis Auto ... PR System One Auto (550P) and look like this
[Image: Photo_Remstar.jpg]

you don,t want M series older type machines, they need some special card reader and not supported by SleepyHead software to track your treatment

I would ask them about S9 Autoset and prepare to pay a bit more
better and more useful data display on the machine screen

humidity is something personal ... you have to find what works best for you
some don,t need at all but I use all year around regardless of the weather condition otherwise my nose get stuffed up

Post Reply Post Reply
ended up being a Respironics REMstar Auto M Series with Aflex - slept amazingly well last night. It did not come with the included proprietary smart card, but I did check the data menu on the machine and it said there were no leaks and no AHI's - not sure it didn't record because the card isn't present, but it did say I now have 7 therapy hours (that did change from 0).

No snoring.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats whodi... I think you'll like an Auto-CPAP... and the data-capability sure helps too!

if you need the Clinician Setup Manual for it, go here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thx! Yeah it was great being able to sleep and not worry about snoring. I might pick up a humidifier for it, same vendor offers them for 50. Blower hours says 4300 hours, but it works fine and was very quiet.

The only use for the smart card is to transfer data off the machine or is it required to record events?
Post Reply Post Reply
Nvm, it does, I tested it by holding my breath and it registered one.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,486 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,332 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 902 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,592 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,469 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.