Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member from Scotland
New member from Scotland
Hello everyone!

I have been browsing this forum for a while and thought I better join as I do have some questions for you all.

I currently use a Resmed S8 and have been for about 5 years but my sleep is not so good these days and need a siesta in the afternoon to keep me going.

Question - Is it worth forking out to try a nasal pillow? Currently use a nasal mask.

Question - I do not use the humidifier as I woke with a 'drowning' sensation. Should I revisit this?

I like the look of the AirSense 10 AutoSet. Is this THE machine to have? Not sure if NHS Scotland would provide it, but will be asking today!

I have more questions, but I suspect as I look around, they will not be new questions.

I realise a lot of things in life are subjective, but any opinion on my questions are welcome.Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member from Scotland
Welcome

Question - Is it worth forking out to try a nasal pillow? Currently use a nasal mask.
Yes, if you are dissatisfied with your nasal mask. Many people like the nasal pillows; but for some, they find the pillows make their nose sore.

Question - I do not use the humidifier as I woke with a 'drowning' sensation. Should I revisit this?
Yes -- humidification is a comfort feature. A more modern machine like the S9 or A10 can use a climateline hose that prevents the "rainout" effect.

I like the look of the AirSense 10 AutoSet. Is this THE machine to have?
It's the latest from ResMed. The S9 is still a very useful machine.
Your S8 has limited data capability; and requires a special card and card reader.

Kindest Regards,

Mongo
U.S.A.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day DumfriesDik, welcome to Apnea Board.

Good questions you raise, but I have a couple for you. Which model S8 do you have? They can come as straight pressure or Autoset. Have you had a sleep test in the last 5 years? Apart from the need for a siesta are there other issues worrying you? You say you don't sleep well, but what's the nature of the sleep disturbance?

Now to your questions...

Should you get a pillows mask? Why do you ask? Is your present mask comfortable or does it cause you discomfort? Does it leak? Is it five years old? By all means try different masks but if cost is an issue and your present mask is ok then there's no need. On the other hand if your current mask is uncomfortable or leaks or is getting old and skanky then you might want to look at a new one.

Humidifier - my abiding memories of Scotland feature mist, drizzle and rain. Under these conditions you probably don't need a humidifier. Do you experience dryness, sore throat or stuffiness? If you do then maybe you do need the humidifier. As Mongo said the Climateline heated hoses virtually eliminate rainout.

Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset? It's a top machine, no doubt. As to whether it's the best or most appropriate for your situation it's a bit hard to say without a bit more information. I think it would be a really good choice for the great majority of apneacs.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys for getting back in touch so quickly.

I have spoken with the sleep clinic today and I have to jump through some hoops. So, they are going to send out a new mask as mine is over a year old. I will use the new one and it works. Next hoop is to increase the pressure - I don't know what it is set at, at the moment.

I do not know why am I am waking. I go to bed about 10pm and I fall asleep in seconds. But come 4 or 5 in the morning I will wake up and be wide awake. I am not able to get back to sleep. I realise that is not bad for some, but I feel it is not enough for me. If I stayed up later, I would still wake at four in the morning!

The machine is an S8 Escape and over five years old.

Scotland is particularly wet and wild here at the moment and we do run a dehumidifier in a room other than the bedroom. I might revisit the humidifier tonight.

I would not mind paying for a modern CPAP if I felt it would help me.

Still, its the lotto tonight, so it might happen yet!
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact your machine is an Escape means it doesn't collect much (if any) useful data. Without that data, adjusting pressures etc is a bit like throwing darts in the dark - you might get a winner and you might do some damage. (Though you won't do any lasting damage with a CPAP). Increasing the pressure might help, but it might not.

I went through a stage of waking at 4:00 for no apparent reason. I think it was probably discomfort from the mask. Hopefully your new mask will be more comfortable and overcome this issue.

Given you've had a non-data machine for so long, I really think a sleep test would be in order, probably followed by a modern autoset machine with data capability. As you said, you might need to jump through some hoops to achieve that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually Dumfries, I started with an S8 VPAP Auto and graduated to the S9 VPAP Auto. I felt that the improvement from S8 to S9 was well worth it. Not only for the improved data but also for the improved breathing technology. I have not even entertained moving up to an Airsense 10 due to the fact that I see very little actual improvement and a fair number of design/manufacturing problems.

My personal feeling is to upgrade to an S9 Autoset or VPAP auto but that is just me

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
might be getting harder to find S9, at least new... since production has stopped on these is the only thing
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to our forum DumfriesDik!! You made a good move joining as you will get lots of good information here. Good luck with choosing a new machine too!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi DumfriesDik,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you can get a newer, fully data-capable machine. Here is a link to check out to guide you with which machines to get and which ones to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you on your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The "hoops" that you may have to jump through may well be the perfect fix. Can't really see why the type of mask (nasal or face, or pillows) should have bearing on your waking up routine. If its a (regularly a 4-5 am wake-up) then I don't think comfort has anything to do with it. (could it be a P call) as you've gotten older (although you didn't say how old you are). I offer the perhaps, that your pressure does probably need a tweak, as the health clinic suggested. A new ResMed auto would be something that you could learn to do yourself( pressure changes) from the recording data but that's something down the road. You need fixed now. Don't put all your eggs in one basket as far as thinking that the CPAP is the culprit that's causing your new nocturnal habits. Could be something else. Good solid sleep is very important.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 498 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,013 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.