Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member, getting (re)started
RE: New member, getting (re)started
The main reason to change epr was to help with flow limits (they are just smaller apnea - see signature).  And it did limit them a little - but not as much as I thought it would.  You said that the feeling of the machine was different but how are you feeling..  Do you feel it help you?  You could try epr to 3 and see if it helps.  All it is doing is lowering your low pressure on exhale.  It does help with upper airway obstruction - flow limits. 

Your main type of event is central, and you are a new user.  Most centrals clear up after you get use to the machine.  A central is when you have no obstruction and you do not breath (hold your breath).  It happen to new users because your body reacts to co2 and with the therapy you have less co2.  After a while the body gets adjusted, most of the centrals go away.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Just clarification - I've been a CPAP user for almost 15 years now, so while the machine is new, the therapy isn't. Wasn't sure if you were

Anyway, the new machine definitely feels stronger than my older one. It took me a couple days to get used to it. Now, getting used to the EPR is a new hump to get over - it's already better than it was night 1, so hopefully won't notice it anymore before too long.

I feel good in the mornings, no dragging myself out of bed and I feel pretty alert as soon as I wake up. I feel like I'm waking up during the night more; it's very brief - enough to realize it - but doesn't impact my ability to fall asleep instantly again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Even if you have been on Cpap for years, this is a change and your body needs to adapt to it. I hope it keeps getting better.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
You didn’t say what type of machine your old one is but from your comments about epr I would guess your previous machine was from Phillips we prefer the Resmed here but as it’s algorithm I’d different to the Philips range of machines it can take some getting used to
Post Reply Post Reply
Gotcha - I just realized I never finished the sentence in my post which probably confused things.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help with the new machine - my old machine was a F&P Icon+.

I'll post 3 more days tomorrow and see if you guys have any additional input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last 3 days. I adjusted the EPR to 3 just to see if it was less abrupt on the end of the inhale. Didn't see much of a difference.

LL on Monday around 6:00 was a restroom trip. Felt good all 3 nights - didn't get as much sleep last night as I would've liked, but Forged in Fire had a marathon... Wink

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you feel any better but your flow limits are much better using the EPR.  Take a look at your old chart on flow limits and the new ones, it is quite a bit better.  Flow limits are apnea also just not as large and they are not timed (see my signature at the bottom of the page)  Flow limits can cause you to wake up or not get to deep sleep so I would hope you will start to feel a difference from your therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2020, 11:16 AM)staceyburke Wrote: I don't know if you feel any better but your flow limits are much better using the EPR.  Take a look at your old chart on flow limits and the new ones, it is quite a bit better.  Flow limits are apnea also just not as large and they are not timed (see my signature at the bottom of the page)  Flow limits can cause you to wake up or not get to deep sleep so I would hope you will start to feel a difference from your therapy.

So you're referencing the 95% flow rate number being better with EPR, correct?

I don't want to chase numbers, but what's the goal with all the data we are able to collect and analyze? If Flow Rate is good and I feel good in the mornings, is that the goal or are there still things we look to tweak or adjust to 'get better'? I've been reading up on the different measures and it sounds like an AHI < 5 is considered good - should it be lower, though?

What are the numbers for all of these measures on a healthy non-apnea person?

It's silly, but after being on CPAP for years, I really never thought about what the end goal was besides a good night's sleep... Once i hit that (very) subjective thing, do I just carry on?
Post Reply Post Reply
As time goes on things change as we age. Your settings will need to change. That is not to say each and every day you need to look at OSCAR but you do need to keep checking and see if things are different. The main goal is to feel better. Usually a lowere number is better. I my opinion just being under 5 is not real good but how you feel is what is important.

After coming to this site I went from 4.— to .3 or less for over 6 months and I do feel better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Super Necro since I finally got around to downloading more data.

I've had a bunch of lifestyle changes in a relatively short amount of time so not looking to make a ton of adjustments, just checking in.

Diagnosed with T2 diabetes Oct '22. Complete life change - lost almost 30 lbs since then, exercising every day, eating MUCH better. I wear a chin strap but have been waking up with air blowing out of my mouth somewhat regularly - this is new in the last 4-6 weeks.

I try to get to bed by 10:30 and alarm is set between 6:20-6:45 depending on the day. The last week or so, I've been waking up before my alarm.

Interested in thoughts from the board's experts. Last 3 days charts included.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,593 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 235 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,795 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.