Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member having difficulty
New member having difficulty
I was reading somewhere online that there is such a thing as Complex Sleep Apnea. In other words -
Complex sleep apnea is a condition that occurs when a patient is identified as having OSA, but with the application of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) to eliminate the OSA, the patient develops Central Sleep Apnea. The cause of complex sleep apnea is not known at this time.

I have described my problem to sleep therapists, and they seem to discount what I am describing, by telling me to just hang in there and in time I will get used to the machine.

What happens to me is that while I am going to sleep, as I totally relax, after exhaling, my diaphragm doesn't involuntarily draw the next breath, and I will snap out of that state to being fully awake to consciously take a breath. This is not due to obstruction at all, and I am just barely awake enough to sense what is going on.

This happens while asleep too. I will wake up gasping for air with my bipap machine going so I know the event was not obstructive in nature. Is it possible that I have this complex condition, brought on by using CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member having difficulty
There are lots of different names for things. You sound like what I was going through. Any reason to think you might have COPD? That is what it was with me and I would describe my situation the same as you do. It took a long time to get the sleep Doctor to hear me.

If you want to really know what is going on you need to get the sleephead software assuming it supports your machine.
It would also help a lot if you entered what machine you are using and not just the therapy type.

If you are having trouble breathing just before you go to sleep, this is not sleep apnea because you are not asleep yet-it is happening, it's just going to be called something else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2016, 11:40 AM)PoolQ Wrote: There are lots of different names for things. You sound like what I was going through. Any reason to think you might have COPD? That is what it was with me and I would describe my situation the same as you do. It took a long time to get the sleep Doctor to hear me.

Thanks for your reply.
Quit sure its not COPD. I am (I think)quite healthy for 65 yoa. Non smoker, eating right, have check ups, etc.

But I will post specifics tonight. I know it's a Philips bipap machine. And I will download that software

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2016, 11:21 AM)Slim1950 Wrote: I was reading somewhere online that there is such a thing as Complex Sleep Apnea. In other words -
Complex sleep apnea is a condition that occurs when a patient is identified as having OSA, but with the application of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) to eliminate the OSA, the patient develops Central Sleep Apnea. The cause of complex sleep apnea is not known at this time.

I have described my problem to sleep therapists, and they seem to discount what I am describing, by telling me to just hang in there and in time I will get used to the machine.

What happens to me is that while I am going to sleep, as I totally relax, after exhaling, my diaphragm doesn't involuntarily draw the next breath, and I will snap out of that state to being fully awake to consciously take a breath. This is not due to obstruction at all, and I am just barely awake enough to sense what is going on.

This happens while asleep too. I will wake up gasping for air with my bipap machine going so I know the event was not obstructive in nature. Is it possible that I have this complex condition, brought on by using CPAP?

What you are describing sounds like central sleep apnea. The central ventilation drive in the brain is dysfunctional. Best treatment is an ASV machine that will non-invasively ventilate a person when a breath is missed.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on CPAP less than a month but I have had the exact same issue. I had no centrals on my polysomnograph; apparently CPAP can induce central apnea-like events when falling asleep, especially during the adjustment phase. I talked to my doc and got on Ambien to get me over the hump of getting used to CPAP.

However, what's helped take care of the breathing issues in the meantime is switching to a full face mask, upping the minimum pressure, and (on my model) adjusting the mask type setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
Slim, if you're able to download and use #Sleepyhead, we will be able to tell very quickly whether it matches the pattern of complex sleep apnea. Events like you're describing as you fall asleep are not actually central apnea, because you're not asleep yet, but if they occur repeatedly during sleep and especially in large numbers or clusters, that is a pretty good indicator. For your Philips BiPAP, anything prior to the System One 50 series without a SD card does not support sleepyhead. If you have a 50, 60, or Dreamstation series, you're all set.

Try to post a couple more times as you won't be able to post links or attachments without at least 4 posts...good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Slim1950,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting used to it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am excited to report that although it took me about 2 hours to get to sleep, I did get there finally, and stayed asleep until 5:45 this morning! Although I did wake up with a headache. AHI reading this morning was 1.7. I am assuming AHI means events per hour?
Periodic breathing was 0.

Onwards! Now I know it can be done.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good news! At least you put an issue you were worried about to rest. That's what we use the data for.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I downloaded and installed the Sleepyhead software and have imported my data. How do I upload it so that you can read and interpret the results?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,757 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,022 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,557 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.