Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member having difficulty
RE: New member having difficulty
Sounds good. I will give that a try. My next problem is how to tell my sleep clinician in a way that he is not offended. The reason the Epap is set so low is that by starting me off higher than that caused me difficulty with my exhalation, and I would quit breathing.. but that was before I had adjusted.. we will see.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 08:50 AM)Slim1950 Wrote: Sounds good. I will give that a try. My next problem is how to tell my sleep clinician in a way that he is not offended. The reason the Epap is set so low is that by starting me off higher than that caused me difficulty with my exhalation, and I would quit breathing.. but that was before I had adjusted.. we will see.

Okay, that's useful to know. Let's configure a little differently then. EPAP min to 4.0, PSmin 2.0 PSmax 5.0 max IPAPmax 12.0. The strategy remains to increase minimum EPAP until the OA is extinguished, but while accommodating your sense of being unable to exhale. The pressure support, even at minimum pressure will give you the feeling that exhalation is easier. This setting will still provide a much more stable pressure and better chance at reducing events. It may still be necessary to increase EPAP, but a slower approach is just fine.

I think this resolves some of the problems with the current settings, and is a bit less aggressive. With this change, I think we're only changing the PSmin, which does not affect starting EPAP pressure. This will not likely stop the OA but it gives you more of a bilevel feel, and it's a good starting place.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I am at the office. Tonight I will have a look at the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, here are my settings.
Mode - Auto BiPap
Max Ipap - 9
Max Epap - 4.0
Min PS - 0
Max PS - 3
Flex type - BiFlex
BiFlex - 2
BiFlex lo - Off

What does PS stand for?
Post Reply Post Reply
PS is pressure support. The difference between IPAP and EPAP. There should be an Min EPAP not a max. So, I suggest:
Mode Auto B
Max IPAP 12
Min EPAP 4.0
Min PS 2.0
Max PS 4.0
Flex BiFlex
Biflex 2

To clarify what this means. When you start therapy with the old settings you are at 4.0/4.0. This is the root cause of the obstructive apnea and hypopnea. With the new settings you will start at 6.0/4.0. The machine will automatically adjust and if it detects obstruction will raise EPAP. If it detects hypopnea, snores or flow limitations it will raise IPAP. On your machine EPAP and IPAP can move independently, but with the PS min of 2.0, IPAP will always be at least 2 cm more than EPAP, but never more than 4 cm. The machine will only to to as high pressure as necessary to resolve AHI. You may need more EPAP pressure if significant obstructive events occur, but lest take our time. The settings I have outlines are very very conservative for minimal pressure and to facilitate exhalation, but give you more pressure support which I'm sure you will find more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 07:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: PS is pressure support. The difference between IPAP and EPAP. There should be an Min EPAP not a max. So, I suggest:
Mode Auto B
Max IPAP 12
Min EPAP 4.0
Min PS 2.0
Max PS 4.0
Flex BiFlex
Biflex 2
I adjusted my settings, as suggested. Here are the results from last night

[Image: pB8I7cB.jpg]
[Image: hPQHiN5.jpg]
[Image: 2nt85zb.jpg]

Question: Although the machine tells me my leakage rate is at zero, Sleepy head shows lots of leakage. Is this significant? And is there correlation/causation between leakage and the OA event?

Post Reply Post Reply
If you could organize your Sleepyhead charts as shown in this tutorial, it would help a great deal. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

Leaks look more than acceptable from here.

Congratualtions on the improved results. How did it feel in comparison?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Much better, thanks.. more energy and endurance during the say, although it seems i have an event shortly before I wake up in the morning, and there is still a headache when I wake. I also wake up once or twice in the night; not sure what is waking me up.

WP
Post Reply Post Reply
You can switch the machine off and back on to mark an awakening then it might be possible to identify a cause. Meanwhile, I'd stay with these settings for a while and verify you continue to have good results. That is actually pretty exceptional.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2016, 09:18 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can switch the machine off and back on to mark an awakening then it might be possible to identify a cause. Meanwhile, I'd stay with these settings for a while and verify you continue to have good results. That is actually pretty exceptional.
If I am awake enough to remember to do that, I will!
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 499 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,014 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.