Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member - having issued with Philips Respironics Dreamstation
New member - having issued with Philips Respironics Dreamstation
I purchased this device nearly four years ago and as most everyone here probably knows, it's on recall.  The company told me it could take up to a year or more before it's replaced.

I have no insurance, so getting another machine at this time is not an option.

So, I keep using it and noticed that within the past month or so, I will wake up with a dry mouth and a dry/tight throat that gets better when I use my nebulizer.  

I change my filters on a regular basis and use the humidifier every night too.

I'm at a loss to explain why I wake up like this, except it could be one of the following:

1.  This device is on recall.  Maybe what caused it be be recalled is why I wake up like this?
2.  I'm a mouth breather and have been going back and forth between using a nasal mask and a full-face one.  Tbh, the nasal mask is more comfortable.  It feels like I'm suffocating with the other one if I've got it on too tight.  If it's not tight enough, it leaks.
3.  I've got allergies to dust and mold, which is in this apartment.  I have three air purifiers in this apartment but they don't seem to help.

My AHI is very good.  It's 1.1 for the past day and .6 for the past month.  The mask fit is good too.  96% for the past day and 98% for the past month.

I've been stressing out over a number of things and am wondering if this is having an impact too.  However, I notice this problem only after getting up in the morning.  Like I said, some mornings are worse than others.  

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.  Imho moving from this toxic environment will be a great help but I need another device too.  I have a care manager at Catholic Charities who may be able to help me get another machine but I don't know how long that would take.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member - having issued with Philips Respironics Dreamstation
To really give you any advice we need to see your data.  We do this with OSCAR, it is a program that is totally free and you can download it from the top of the site.  You need to have a SD card in the machine when you sleep as it writes all of the information on it to be used by oscar.  I have a link in my signature as to the charts needed to be uploaded from oscar.  This is how everyone here gets help and I hope you will make use of it....
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to see your data, but I've found my mouth getting drier since it's moved from spring to summer, even using a FFM. If I use pillows, I have to tape my mouth, but even then, my mouth can end up dry if my chin drops, I get chipmunk cheeks, and the air circulates around my oral cavity. Even without leaks.

That said, with all those allergies and mold, that's not going to help your nasal congestion and sore throat, and the nasal congestion may well be worsening your mouth breathing too.

But let's get a look at your data and see if we can see anything obvious there with the mouth breathing, at least. Stress and worry definitely don't help with any of this, either.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2021, 12:04 PM)staceyburke Wrote: To really give you any advice we need to see your data.  We do this with OSCAR, it is a program that is totally free and you can download it from the top of the site.  You need to have a SD card in the machine when you sleep as it writes all of the information on it to be used by oscar.  I have a link in my signature as to the charts needed to be uploaded from oscar.  This is how everyone here gets help and I hope you will make use of it....

I downloaded Oscar to my laptop and tried to use it but am technically challenged.  It just wouldn't work.  I don't know what I did wrong.

I took the sd card out of my machine and thought all I had to do it put it in my laptop while Oscar ran but it wouldn't even let me get to that point.  I'm including screenshots.

I don't know what to do.  I'm stumped.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2021, 02:39 PM)Ratchick Wrote: It would help to see your data, but I've found my mouth getting drier since it's moved from spring to summer, even using a FFM. If I use pillows, I have to tape my mouth, but even then, my mouth can end up dry if my chin drops, I  get chipmunk cheeks, and the air circulates around my oral cavity. Even without leaks.

That said, with all those allergies and mold, that's not going to help your nasal congestion and sore throat, and the nasal congestion may well be worsening your mouth breathing too.

But let's get a look at your data and see if we can see anything obvious there with the mouth breathing, at least. Stress and worry definitely don't help with any of this, either.

I don't know what to do about Oscar.  As I said in another post, I downloaded it to my computer but it gave me several error messages.  I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

Re. this machine, I think part of the problem is the reason it's been recalled.  I'm still unclear as to why Philips Respironics recalled this device and wish they'd be forthcoming about the issues that forced them to make that decision.  In the meantime, because I am not insured I'm going to have to use this device even though it's causing me some issues.

I'm hoping to get a replacement through a local charity.  I found a Resmed machine today and if I can get my hands on it, would gladly use it as a backuip until I can get the Dreamstation replaced.  Only problem is, would it be safe to do this with Covid?  Is it safe to get a used machine?

In the meantime, I'm going to shop around for a chin strap I can use and also a new mask, both of which I can get on Amazon w/o a prescription.  They're faster with delivery anyway.  

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
This helped me.......

https://www.amazon.com/Ajustable-Solutio...P4YD&psc=1

I use a full face mask and I was breathing through my mouth and getting dried out. The strap holds my mouth shut so I don't mouth breathe as much. It may help you or not.

Also a rinse with this before getting in bed...... (is available at a local WallyMart as well)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KA...UTF8&psc=1
Post Reply Post Reply
When you start OSCAR for the first time you need to make a profile. Once you have a profile, double click on it. Then go to the Welcome tab. Insert your SD card in your computer. Select the Import SD card. Once it backs up your card and imports your data, select the daily view.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2021, 04:52 PM)StratCat48 Wrote: This helped me.......

I'm ordering some chin straps tonight (different brand but similar design), so I'm hoping this will help.  Re. Biotene, the thought didn't occur to me that I could use it!

Next time I order groceries I'll have them throw in a bottle.

Thanks!

(09-14-2021, 06:21 PM)LindanHotAir Wrote: When you start OSCAR for the first time you need to make a profile. Once you have a profile, double click on it. Then go to the Welcome tab. Insert your SD card in your computer. Select the Import SD card. Once it backs up your card and imports your data, select the daily view.

I didn't get that far.  It wouldn't let me do anything.

I'm going to uninstall it and start over.  Maybe it will work the second time around.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm giving up on Oscar.  I tried to get it to work one more time and it kept giving me error messages even after I tried to close it.

Is there another program just as good?  I don't know what to do.  Like I said earlier, I'm technically-challenged.

Sorry.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have never used OSCAR before, you should skip where it says to copy data from SleepyHead.

Have a look at this thread, for a possible fix for the error 5 you are getting: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ee-post-10

OSCAR is really one of a kind. There is the official Resmed clinician software, but that can be a real pain to get working, so I'd look through that thread, and hopefully, some of the other guys can give you some help if you're still having issues. I would suggest that you uninstall it completely, then try again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,879 11 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,199 Yesterday, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,207 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,823 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,890 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 199 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 474 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.