Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member here
New member here
Hi folks,

I just signed up and wanted to say hello. I was officially DX'd in April with an AHI of 131, discovered after an episode of Atrial Flutter that required a cardioversion. I had probably had OSA for 30+ years but thought I was cheating it by side sleeping. At my June sleep doc visit my AHI was down to 1.7, but mask troubles are keeping me from sleeping more than 4-4-1/2 hours a night and sometimes less.

I look forward to being here and learning. As big a problem as I'm having with my masks I remain deeply committed to making this work.

P.S.- Hope it's OK to post this on the other forum as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member here
Welcome old dude, 131 is high, well done on getting it so low, what issues are you having with the mask? FFM take quite a bit of getting used to but there are some tips and tricks to them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there old dude,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Glad you are so committed to make your CPAP therapy work.
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing, so commitment is certainly needed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2013, 05:56 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome old dude, 131 is high, well done on getting it so low, what issues are you having with the mask? FFM take quite a bit of getting used to but there are some tips and tricks to them.

To over simplify the problem, when I get the mask(s) tight enough to actually seal and not make those obscene noises, I wake up looking like I've been in a bar fight. The bruises and bumps stay there for days or more, and are made worse by having to use the mask the following night. My DME therapist has told me I had it too tight, but loosening only makes it impossible to seal. I've tried the Gecko, Remzzes, band aids-everything I can think of.

In the defense of all concerned, I might be a tough customer. 5-10, 275 with a big bucket sized head and a fat face with a light, short beard.

I'm determined to whip the problem but it's very daunting at times!

(07-27-2013, 06:06 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi there old dude,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Glad you are so committed to make your CPAP therapy work.
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing, so commitment is certainly needed.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck.

Yes, you're certainly right! As a near lifelong acute and chronic anxiety patient I thought a feeling of choking/claustrophobia would be the problem, but it turns out not at all-it's the darn mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately as you know not one size mask fits all, one tip I suggest to everyone is have the hose coming from above your head either over your bed head or you can buy a hose lift or as a lot of us do make our own. This then pulss the mask up rather than pulling down on it, you may be able to loosen it a bit. I understand where you are coming from with the marks, it took me about 12 months to get used to the FFM and occassionally still get leaks which wake me up but at least I get more sleep than I used to, I used to only sleep 1-2 hours a night before being diagnosed and now it is quality sleep.
I'm sure others will be on to give you more suggests.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are nasal pillows or masks an option for you? If you're not a mouth breather you might benefit from a lighter, smaller mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried a chin strap?

Other FFM?

And yes, if you have it so tight it is bruising, it is too tight. 17/13 is not overly high a pressure that a FFM would have problems with it, other than their usual leaky existence. They are designed to float on the face, forming its own seal.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I surely do appreciate all the responses so far.

I have indeed tried a nasal mask; it was a F-P Eson and easily the most comfortable mask I've tried. I do suffer from a good bit of nasal congestion so I found that I would slip into mouth breathing, but the biggest problem was that after about an hour and a half I awoke to find that the inside of my nasal passages seemed to be on fire-no kidding, really burning. This even with my humidifier all the way up.

So I guess the search continues.

By the way, are nasal masks designed so that you don't feel the pressurization inside them like you do with a FF mask? I had to check to make sure my machine was on a couple of times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I have indeed tried a nasal mask; it was a F-P Eson and easily the most comfortable mask I've tried. I do suffer from a good bit of nasal congestion so I found that I would slip into mouth breathing, but the biggest problem was that after about an hour and a half I awoke to find that the inside of my nasal passages seemed to be on fire-no kidding, really burning. This even with my humidifier all the way up.

There's several things that could have caused the burning.
- too little humidity. Some people just can't handle the dryness. Others don't seem to notice a difference.
- too much humidity. It seems counter intuitive but it happens.
- moisture from the mask dripped down inside your nostrils. It can burn like mad. But you would have felt water on your face and had condensation inside the mask. I do this with my nasal pillows.

To stop mouth breathing, you can try a chin strap. And there's training yourself to not open your mouth at night. Someone will chime in with info on that.

Quote:So I guess the search continues.

Not all masks of the same type are the same. Another nasal mask may work better for you. Same with full face ones. Many of us went through a lot of masks before we found one (or two) that worked. Some of us switch between masks depending on season and health.

Quote:By the way, are nasal masks designed so that you don't feel the pressurization inside them like you do with a FF mask? I had to check to make sure my machine was on a couple of times.

That was your body getting used to the sensation of the air. It's a good sign! It's not limited to the type of mask but the user. When I first started, I used to could not speak while using the machine as the air just roared out my mask. Slowly I got better at blocking it until I sounded like someone with a cold. Now I don't think there's that much of a difference in sound.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Two things immediately come to mind:

Are you washing the silicone cushion daily with something that won't leave any oily residue so the cushion is "squeaky clean" (i.e. tacky).

And

Have you considered shaving the beard? I know people say that FFMs will work with beards; but, my experience has been that they just don't play well together.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,023 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,558 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 998 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.