Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member here
RE: New member here
You might want to try a hybrid mask. They are less likely to leak than a full face mask.

I would also recommend you make an appt with a good ENT. Perhaps something can be done to relieve your sinus problems.

It can takes weeks or even months to get acclimated to CPAP therapy, but as that continues to happen you will get relief from symptoms such as anxiety and insomnia.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a FX MIRAGE nasal by resmed ASAP. NOT THE FX pillows. The nasal mask. After trying many, this was finally the answer for me. Be patient. At first you will be frustrated. But as you perfect you sleeping position, you will find minor adjustments will come very naturally to you while hardly even waking up. Sometimes you don't even touch your mask to make the adjustment. You just move your head slightly on the pillow, the mask slides a bit back into position and you are back to sleep in seconds. Hang in there. Remember, high pressure settings mean tighter fit to your head to prevent air escaping and driving you nuts. A lower pressure setting with no leakage is as good as a higher setting with leakage. Same air is getting down your throat. Tight adjustments lead to discomfort and frustration. You must be comfortable!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried every mask you listed. None worked. Then I tried the FX MIRAGE full nasal. The nasal pillows made my nostrils almost raw to the point of bleeding. This mask finally solved my problems. Highly recommended!
Post Reply Post Reply
For me the Swift FX pillows are nirvana. They seal well, and I forget that they're even on. Only had some nostril discomfort for the first few days as the skin toughened up.

Masks are very much personal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2013, 10:05 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: Two things immediately come to mind:

Are you washing the silicone cushion daily with something that won't leave any oily residue so the cushion is "squeaky clean" (i.e. tacky).

And

Have you considered shaving the beard? I know people say that FFMs will work with beards; but, my experience has been that they just don't play well together.

Sleep-well

I am indeed cleaning the cushions daily. My therapist suggested sensitive baby wipes and that's what I'm using. Also washing my face before bedtime.

(07-27-2013, 10:47 PM)Mark Risley Wrote: I have tried every mask you listed. None worked. Then I tried the FX MIRAGE full nasal. The nasal pillows made my nostrils almost raw to the point of bleeding. This mask finally solved my problems. Highly recommended!

I haven't tried this one, but the F-P Eson nasal mask is heaven-if only I could keep my mouth shut. I haven't tried a chin strap but may give one a try. I like to keep things simple if I can.

I have tried both the Quattro FX and the Quattro Air this week. With the Quattro FX, the spring clip arms continue to ride up into my eyes. It seems like a weird design feature to me. I would love the Quattro Air except for one strange thing-over a period of time, my lower lip somehow falls out of the mask which obviously creates a huge problem. It's like I need an extra-large and they don't make one.

For the time being I'm going back to my Mirage Quattro-I just put a new seal on it. It's big and clunky and has caused me the most facial bruising and bumps but at least I seem to be able to screw it down tight enough to mitigate the leaks.

Thanks again to all!

Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth-breathing aside, the burning sensation you experienced with a nasal mask is something I have never had, and I run 11-20 pressures, frequently getting up to 19. As PaulaO2 suggested, perhaps the problem is either too much humidity, or rainout (water condensation in the hose/mask) getting into your sinuses. The latter will certainly cause a burning sensation, since the pH will be wrong. Have you tried a heated hose, and if so, increasing its setting?

Nasal pillows can cause a "fire-hose airflow up the nostrils" sensation, which I believe is due to laminar airflow up the nostrils, rather than turbulent airflow that happens normally and with nasal and full-face masks.

With regards to your congestion issues, I find that the pressure plus moderate humidity actually acts to clear out my sinuses and keep them clear. Previously, when I was operating the humidifier passively (ie. airflow over un-heated water), I was getting dry stuffy sinuses after about 4 hours. With my humidifier set to 2, that problem has gone away.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried 4 masks before I found one to stick with.
It's the Palairo nasal pillow. Yeah, not for everyone but it works for me because it's small and there hardly any head gear. I finally stopped scaring the wife by looking like something out a cheap SCI FI movie.

I'm a mouth breather and you CAN train yourself to keep your yap shut overnight. The chin strap just adds more junk on your head and I refused to use it.

For me it was just a matter of remembering not to mouth breath during the day and that took care of mouth breathing overnight in a about a week. Like anything in life, your mileage may vary.

You can get rid of the strong pressure feeling when you first put on your mask by taking a half-dozen breaths like you are trying to blow up a balloon. It just magically disappears after that. I've stopped using the ramp.

A touch of your wife's moisturizer on the parts that go into your nose help stop the burning until you get used to that part.

Whatever mask you settle on - stick with it. The changes are slow but they are real and unless you're real lucky you'll be on this for the rest of your life.

I don't love it but at least I can now ignore it when I'm going to bed.
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
I should probably say that the one nasal mask I've tried (F-P Eson) isn't a nasal pillow mask. It looks just like a smaller version of a FF mask but just covers your nose. And actually with this mask there is no strong pressure sensation, rather the complete lack of one. That's what caused me to question if all was OK. I guess it works though, because when I open my mouth the air comes rushing out in what might be described a reverse snore.

I sure wish I could learn to keep my mouth shut and stop the nasal burning sensation because this mask is a lot easier to use than my FFs. And like some others, I don't think a chin strap is for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2013, 05:12 PM)courtney123 Wrote: You can get rid of the strong pressure feeling when you first put on your mask by taking a half-dozen breaths like you are trying to blow up a balloon. It just magically disappears after that. I've stopped using the ramp.

Ah, young padawan, it still takes you 6 breaths? When the force grows stronger in you, you will find that one breath is sufficient. But continue on this path and you will soon reach enlightenment. To stop using the ramp is but one step, albeit a good one.

Lolabove

Old dude, many mouth breathers have made the transition to a nasal mask. Being smaller, it is easier to control leaks. Because of the specifics of the airflow, there is no sensation of a "fire hose" of air going up your nostrils. And there is no irritation against the nostrils.

I have found that, having got somewhat used to the bizarre effect of pressurized air coming in through the nose, I now have more control over the various "valves" (for lack of a better word) in the throat. With the mask on, I can successfully block the nasal passage to burp, yawn or even talk. I can also successfully block the mouth passage to allow me to open my mouth without any air leakage. I have no idea if it carries over into sleep, but I don't have any mouth leakage issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Ah, young padawan, it still takes you 6 breaths? When the force grows stronger in you, you will find that one breath is sufficient. But continue on this path and you will soon reach enlightenment. To stop using the ramp is but one step, albeit a good one.

HA!
Good one.
I bow before your wisdom :-)
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,023 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,558 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 998 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.