Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member, mask issues
New member, mask issues
Hi all,

I'm a new member and new to cpap, started therapy on July 15th, 2021. I'm a 56 y.o. woman who's snored and had sleep issues since my twenties. In 2010 I asked for a sleep study, and the doctor told me that I didn't need a study because I didn't have apnea   Huhsign 
For the last 6 years at least, probably longer, I've been waking up gasping for breath and having nightmares where I couldn't breathe. All the doctor ever wanted to do was prescribe sleep medication.

Fast forward to 2021, a new doctor decides I need to see a psychiatrist because I'm taking the medication they prescribe to me. The psychiatrist orders the sleep study and the results come back that I have severe sleep apnea. All I was told is AHI 35 and O2 dipping to 84%. Based on info here, I'll be ordering a copy of my sleep study results so I can get the rest of the information.

As far as adapting to the mask, I didn't have much problem the first couple of nights, even without the ramp. I felt like trash during the day. Also had some headaches during the night, but those seem to have resolved. Still tired, but not miserably so. 
Then, last night I woke up twice and realized I didn't have the mask on. I don't know if I took it off or it fell off, but I think (if I read it right) Oscar said I had the mask on for all of 3.2 hours. MyAir score was 95 when I first got up, then later when I checked it changed to 61 Sad((((

The only thing I can think of is that I have been waking up every morning with a sore nose from the air pillows, so maybe I'm pulling it off because of that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member, mask issues
Almost everything done here is through OSCAR.  It is a program that is free to download and use.  You get it at the top of the site.  You will need a SD card to put into the cpap machine.  Sleep with it in the machine and then download the information to OSCAR.

here is a link to help with oscar.

OSCAR Help - Apnea Board Wiki
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I did get my info on Oscar, still figuring out how to delete my personal info and such. Hopefully I can figure out the rest tomorrow. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is nothing personal on the oscar charts except your profile name.  If you want to not have that show make a new profile with an other name.  Then reload your information from the sd card under the new name.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Or, just edit your profile and rename it. When posting images here, please use the F12 key to capture the images. If you need some help, please see the links in my signature below.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2021, 11:39 PM)Needsleepasap Wrote: The only thing I can think of is that I have been waking up every morning with a sore nose from the air pillows, so maybe I'm pulling it off because of that?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It seems most experienced people on this board have a collection of different masks.  I'm trying my 4th mask now.  Maybe "pillows" isn't the right mask for you -- it didn't work for me.  You might want to try a nasal mask..  There is a lot of 'trial and error' in this journey of sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2021, 09:49 AM)Rich66 Wrote: It seems most experienced people on this board have a collection of different masks.  I'm trying my 4th mask now.  Maybe "pillows" isn't the right mask for you -- it didn't work for me.  You might want to try a nasal mask..  There is a lot of 'trial and error' in this journey of sleep apnea.

Ok, thanks, I'll look into that. I woke up a few times last night with nose "issues".
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I think I finally got the Oscar data. Can someone please look at it and tell me if I need to change anything? I'm still waking up often.
Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Your low pressure is the inhale pressure. 4 is the absolute lowest the machine can go. That is ok for a child but an adult needs more air. That may be the reason you took your mask off. 

4 would be like breathing through a straw. I need at least 9 or I’m pulling of my mask to get enough air. If your mask fits correctly, the min is all you can inhale. 

I would suggest 7 min. I think you will be much more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Out of curiosity, are you using the "for her" strap with the P10 pillows, or using the regular blue one?

I started with the regular one when my pressure was lower, and it seemed like the pillows wouldn't stay put and kept slipping off.  

So I moved to the purple version that's a shorter strap, and it kept the pillows in place, but they rubbed my nose raw.  

So, I decided to go back to the regular blue ones, and things are much better now.  But, I think the key is that my starting pressure is higher now that I'm dialed in with my treatment, and that allows the looser blue strap to work correctly.

With your super low pressure (how do you even get enough air at 4???) you may just have the blue strap slipping and sliding around.  Try the higher starting pressure recommended by other folks and you may see a better fit from the get-go.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 47 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 109 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 156 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  issues during REM sleep... ifsmithy 5 214 03-04-2024, 12:09 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.