Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member needing initial assessment
New member needing initial assessment
Hello - so great to have found this forum!  I started therapy with a DreamStation AutoCPAP almost three months ago.  I’ve had rather uneven results while trying to settle on a primary mask, a process that has dragged on due to long waits for appointments with the sleep clinic/equipment provider.  I'm currently using an Eson nasal mask, which has been quite comfortable, and I see progress on the horizon.

I was diagnosed with “mild” sleep apnea.  The results of the diagnostic testing were:  zero OAs, 29 Hs, and 6 CAs over a total sleep time of about 3.5 hr, resulting in AHIs of 13.9 (left side), 5.3 (right side), and 120.0 (supine, but only 4.5 min in that position).  I can post the results if needed.

My machine pressure is set for 9 max and 6 min.  Since therapy started my AHIs have ranged from a high of about 9.6 to a low of about 1.2, but not with any real trend.  The OAs have been low to absent; the predominant sleep events are Hs, CAs, and RERAs, with FLs.  I mostly sleep on my right side.  I’ve posted three charts: Nov 26, Nov 25, Nov 25 + detail.

I would greatly appreciate a quick assessment of my charts, what to watch for, and what changes might be needed or tried.  Thanks very much - I look forward to participating in the group!

[attachment=17525] [attachment=17526] [attachment=17527]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member needing initial assessment
Hmmm...  Have to figure out how to get attachments to show up.  Sorry!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 04:38 PM)Salcorn Wrote: Hmmm...  Have to figure out how to get attachments to show up.  Sorry!

Welcome to the forum, we can and will help you.

I bet you missed the last step, to insert the attachments.

Are you using Flex?  At what value?  And I understand taht your centrals are up, to what level?  It is not uncommon for centrals to increase when you start CPAP.  But after 3 months they should have reduced.

Please attach a copy of your overview chart from OSCAR as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Fred, and thanks for the welcome - glad to be here!

Regarding the attachments, I did click the "insert into post" button, but only a file name or designator showed up in the message (e.g., "[attachment=17525]") for each of the attachmentsand not the image.  They're .png files, which should be OK, and the largest of the three is 686kb, just under the 700kb limit.

The A-flex is currently set at 2.  The CAs have ranged from 3.6/hr down to 0.2/hr.  In just the last five days they've ranged from 1.7 to 0.2.  The overall average is 1.3.  No obvious trend.

The charts of course will reveal all, as soon as I can get 'em posted.  Not sure how to troubleshoot that, but I'll work on it.  I'll try attaching the overview chart to this reply:

Well, didn't work - same problem...
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it did work.  Let me try this on the others:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately disappearing attachments seem to be a current problem, related to the fact the Apnea Board servers are getting overloaded. The Thanksgiving donation campaign was primarily to raise funds for an upgrade.
Post Reply Post Reply
Two things stand out. First you are tucking your chin. See how your obstructive events are clustered. That's the tell. The solution is a soft cervical collar or a sleep or anti snoring collar. See my signature for details on the collar

Second is the central Apneas. For starters turn off your flex. Basically your pap machine is operating too efficiently and is washing out too much CO2 from your blood . Turning off flex should restore the balance
Post Reply Post Reply
OK.  I changed the Flex from 2 to 1; I don't know yet if it can be switched off completely.  I will try the new setting for several nights and see if or how things change.  Last night was pretty much like recent ones:  AHI 4.16; CA 1.28, O zero, H 2.88.

I'll look into the collars next.

Thanks so much for the quick response!
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI, there is VERY LITTLE therapeutic difference between Flex = 2 and Flex = 1. Look in your clinical menu for turning Flex off. In other words, you will see very little difference in your central numbers by reducing your flex to 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good to know.  I'll get it turned off before tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 224 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 200 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 208 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 207 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  New and Needing Help... ranvanman 12 804 02-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: SnoozeBest
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 337 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.