Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Rio Mask
RE: Rio Mask
I checked my Sleepyhead data this morning and could not see any difference in the leak rates of the Rio vs. the P10. Note that I only used the Rio for about 1 1/2 hours, and there are a few spikes in leaks where I was obviously just messing around with the mask. When I was not messing with it, the leak rate was flatline just like the P10 plot for the rest of the night. As I noted earlier, the outflow air was very noticeable, when the P10 is just barely detectable. Just by looking at Sleepyhead data, one would not know that I switched masks during the 5 minutes where there is no data recorded (machine off); the same data on both sides after the switch.

Other minor points. 1) The Rio is made in Taiwan (on the bag, it has a manufacture date of 9/26/16), and 2) IMO will likely be less expensive than the P10. It is now, but with very limited availability at least when I ordered mine a couple weeks ago from an online seller.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Rio Mask
Much of the explanation of the mask and experience set forth by "sptrout" mirrors my observations. Two major things stand out. First, although the line can go over your head it goes up over your forehead first unlike the Dreamwear line which starts at the top of your head and goes back. That's a major distraction if you want to use the Rio like the Dreamwear. The second difference is with the pillows and the pillows support. The pillows don't lock in to the pillows support as well as the P10. The P10 pillows click into the support. The Rio has soft notches on the sides of the pillows which slide down into a catching mechanism. It seemed to hold but I had doubts about how well it would hold up. It did hold up for me the one night I wore it but I had to really secure it down to pass the mask fit test which I failed the first time. And, the plastic support was harder than the P10 and it has the potential to irritate the area between the upper lip and the nares.

Other than that I really liked the adjustable features of the straps - sides, top and back and I had no elevated or different AHI from my normal. My leak rate was down a little from the P10 probably because my current P10 is loose and the pillows older than 6 months so my leak rate had climbed up. This leads me to my last observation.

I decided to use this mask experimenting to revisit the Dreamwear. My major criticism the first time with it was the noise out of the front vent. For whatever reason this time around the noise was minimal. I also think the amount of air coming into the nares was a bit greater than the P10 at least for me and I liked that. I also really liked the tube out of the way. The leak rate for me on the Dreamwear was substantially better than anything I typically get with the P10. To be honest I really liked the Dreamwear this time around.

For now I will continue to play around with these three masks for longer periods of time but for now I am enjoying revisiting the Dreamwear.

Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,210 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,757 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,529 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.