Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member questions
New member questions
Hi, Forum:
I have an appointment in a couple of days with a med equipment provider. 
I will be getting a new cpap machine. I’ve used a System One for 5 years, and recently went to see the sleep doc because I’m very tired during the day. I had a sleep study done 5 years ago and was diagnosed with moderate apnea. 
So recently the doc checked iron and vitamin C levels. Thyroid had been checked recently. All are normal. 
When making my appointment to get a new machine, I asked the equipment person what machine they were offering and she said it’s an Airsense 10. How does that sound?

I’m not at all a tech person, by the way. 
Advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member questions
Be sure it’s an AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her.

If it’s an AirSense 10 Cpap, then that is a straight pressure machine.  Nothing wrong with that, but the Auto machines make more sense, especially since you will use it for five plus years.

This may help:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices

Also, be sure your doctor has written a perscription stating exact machine you want, no substitutions.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to expand on what OpalRose said, the Resmed Airsense Elite is the fixed pressure machine with full data capability. The 10 CPAP has very limited data and is not recommended. You may not care about data capability at the moment, but if you need to make adjustments later, that data will make things much easier.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll add one more thing
With Medical stuff, we all tend to sit back and take what is given us, as if we don't have a choice.
You not only have a choice, but you have leverage. Ask if you are getting either the AirSense 10 AutoSet or AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her. If not state that is the machine you want. If they don't tell them you will use another DME if you have to. Think of the DME as an Auto dealer for medical stuff. If one dealer doesn't "have" the car you want you just go to another dealer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2019, 06:55 PM)Latroon Wrote: Hi, Forum:
I have an appointment in a couple of days with a med equipment provider. 
I will be getting a new cpap machine. I’ve used a System One for 5 years, and recently went to see the sleep doc because I’m very tired during the day. I had a sleep study done 5 years ago and was diagnosed with moderate apnea. 
So recently the doc checked iron and vitamin C levels. Thyroid had been checked recently. All are normal. 
When making my appointment to get a new machine, I asked the equipment person what machine they were offering and she said it’s an Airsense 10. How does that sound?

I’m not at all a tech person, by the way. 
Advice?

The others have responded comprehensively and correctly IMO.  IF...IF...you learn from discussions with your supplier that they mean the Autoset or the 'For Her' version of the Autoset, you should do a jig because they intend to provide you with the best device currently available (assuming you don't now need a much more advanced and expensive adaptive servo-ventilator, or ASV, because you have complex apnea).  We're hearing hoofbeats and thinking of horses, not zebras...not yet.  Let's assume your apnea hasn't changed a lot, and that your past machine was serving you well with 'normal' or standard ventilation for simple apnea.  The Autoset series are excellent and you will be well-served by them.

The Elite version was mentioned.  I use that myself.  It's a straight CPAP, no bells 'n whistles, but it does have the modem built-in and a removable SD card so that I am centrally monitored and can extract my own nightly data via OSCAR.  OSCAR is freeware available up at the top of the page, in the black marquee.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who writes the script for the machine? Is it my local Primary medical provider (who is a M.D.) who ordered the sleep study, or the M.D. that the sleep study center uses to review the study results? I've heard that my Primary can makes changes to the machine settings if the patient complains enough. I am also up for a new machine since the one I have has reached it's end of life. I requested the new sleep study...not sure what my insurance company wants me to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Either could write it but I would choose my primary care Dr. It will mean one less Dr. to deal with in the long run. Ask him to specify the machine you want (recommend Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Airsense 10 Autoset for her) "dispense as written" That way the DME will not be able to provide a less functional machine.
In most cases you cam change settings yourself and we can provide guidance. Most doctors don't pay much attention to the data.
Why do you want a new sleep study?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
In about my 3rd year on the CPAP I felt I wasn't sleeping as well as the first 2 years. In my 3rd year, my primary medical provider had his nurse call the sleep center to schedule a new study.  The Center said I could just send in the SD card (which I had been doing each year) and they would look at the report. All they did was send a report back that said the readings are great with 100% compliance. I just dropped the matter at that point.

I wonder if there is something else going on with me such as restless leg syndrome or some other event not related to breathing. I'm also getting up at least twice a night for the bathroom. The first couple of years on the machine I was getting up just once about 6 hours into the night.  I don't know if this is a clue, but in I take an OTC pain pill or Restoril sleeping pill then I will sleep 6 or 7 hours before a bathroom run is needed.  Normally, I don't have any aches or pains.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 496 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.