Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member questions
New member questions
Hello All,
I just started treatment 3 days ago and have a few questions. I was set up with a Resmed S9 auto in cpap mode set at 10 cm, EPR off, humidifier 3.0, 80 degree heated hose and swift fx nasal pillow mask. I'm very satisfied with the improved sleep already. Can it get even better with a few tweaks? My gut feeling is they may have my pressure slightly higher than I need it. My AHI average is .3 " AHI of 35 untreated" I still wake up a couple of times a night, but doesn't really bother me because it is so much better than it was before treatment started.
The way they have me set up is a 2 month trial with a new rental unit and if it works, than the insurance will purchase it for me. If I make changes to settings, could this affect compliance and cause problems with my insurance provider? I would like to try it in auto and see the difference. Why would the doctor not prescribe utilizing the machine to it's full potential? Does using the EPR settings have any negative long term implications?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member questions
You've only used it for 3 days. Give it some time. Don't change anything at all in terms of setting.

The most important thing at this stage is to make sure you have a mask you like and works.

The tweaking you save for when you've been using it for a few months. Things are going to change. Your body and brain will get more used to it and everything will settle down.

And an AHI of .3 is damn near perfect. Anything less than 5 is considered ideal. And that number is going to vary from night to night. The idea here is to look for (and wait for) trends to occur. No two nights are the same.

And yes, messing with the settings during the insurance trial is not advisable. Especially not with an AHI like that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sandman, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know that turning on your EPR would hurt anything, but as far as anything else goes,Since you have only had your machine for a few days, it might be better to wait and collect some data for your DME to get a feel for how your treatment is going. But keep checking back into the forum and hang in there for more suggestions, best of luck to you. In addition, what PaulaO2 said is right on .!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I don,t know if it affect your compliance but others can help with that.
Which S9 Auto: S9 AutoSet or S9 Escape Auto
EPR and humidity setting are comfort features..Its matter to experiment and find that sweet spot
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. This site is great. Have learned a lot reading through the posts here. I won't touch anything until after I do my followup with my therapist in a couple of weeks. zonk, my unit is the S9 AutoSet. I'm glad I finally went in for the sleep study. I feel so much better all ready. What surprised me the most is the psychological effect it has had on me. I think the last few nights have been the first nights I truly "slept" for a long time!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hiya Sandman Welcome to the forum

My EPR was set to 1 it stayed that way for months I changed it to 2 and that helped me to exhale with less difficulty ,as for the other settings I believe I would wate on them with the exception of the humidity setting.
Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sandman, That's good that you are noticing improvements, It is amazing what a GOOD nights' sleep will do for you. just keep sticking with it, CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Sandman. You should be very glad to know that you have one of the best machines on the market. For the first few weeks, do whatever you have to to make sure that you stay with this machine. We can adjust it to your needs later. I hope that you like your mask as this is one of the most important aspects of CPAP therapy.

Stick with it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all! As for the mask, I tried a full face and a nasal mask during the study. I did some research on line about the nasal pillow masks. The supplier said I could exchange if I didn't like it, but I'm happy with it so far. I figured out I don't care what's on my face if I'm actually asleep!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 496 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.