Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member some questions :)
New member some questions :)
Hello. I have been sneaking around the forums past couple of days without an account and thought I would make one. There seems to be a lot of awesome and experienced people on here willing to help others. 

So, to begin with I'm 24 5'10" 180 lbs. I love working out and everyone always said you don't have sleep apnea because you have to be overweight with a thick neck. Well, I knew that wasn't true I know two people who aren't overweight who have it and one in my family. I have been tired for a very long time days drag like no other. I have been put on differing medications but nothing helped. 

I thought it was a possibility but no insurance for a sleep test or, the cpap. My ex-gf told me I snored and sometimes stopped breathing. It was so bad she had to leave or, I had to make sure she fell asleep first. Fast forward a friend of mine doesn't use his anymore he thinks exercise has helped get rid of his. Go figure.......everybody's different. 

I now have the Resmed S9 AutoSet with Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask. I've learned a lot from the forums. I know how to unlock the Clinicians Menu and what does what but, I have no idea how to get myself dialed in. I used it last night on auto and had an ahi of 24 but, I barely slept at all getting used to the mask so take that with a grain of salt. I'm going to get a new SD card and Sleepyhead. Are there any recommendations you guys would have or anything I can give you guys to help me get going? 

Thanks again I really appreciate the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member some questions :)
MC92

I can vouch that you don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea. I am 6'2 190 and in pretty good shape. Like you I snored like a beast and wife noticed restlessness and breathing issues. Anyways best thing I did was get the device although I am only 2.5 weeks in. Once you get used to the mask, it makes it a lot easier. Lots of great people here that are always more than willing to help. Good luck.

Side note.... Are you a mouth breather when you sleep? I had the nasal and switched to pillows, game changer for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 07:13 PM)Effers Wrote: MC92

I can tell vouch that you don't have to be overweight to have sleep apnea. I am 6'2 190 and in pretty good shape. Like you a snored like a beast and wife noticed restlessness and breathing issues. Anyways best thing I did although I am only 2.5 weeks in. Once you get used to the mask, it makes it a lot easier. Lots of great people here that are always more than willing to help. Good luck.

Side note.... Are you a mouth breather when you sleep? I had the nasal and switched to pillows, game changer for me.

That's a really good question. I know I start breathing with my nose and prefer it. I have really narrow nose towards the top, it's like nothing wants to get through there. I guess the downside of being single is I don't have a gf anymore to figure out if I switch to mouth breathing or get feedback which sucks. My new pickup line "hey, wanna watch me sleep so I can get information on my sleep apnea" Tnx for the post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I think you'll find no argument from this forum that sleep Apnea comes in all shapes, sizes and fitness levels.

Without a sleep study or sleepyhead data it could be hard to help you dial settings in. An AHI of 24 is pretty high, and depending on the type of Apnea, it might help inform the direction. I think the first step is to download sleepyhead and post the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, c0mbe

Do you think I should get a sample size of about a week or so on auto mode for sleepyhead? Or should I run it tonight and post the results tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
mc92,
A hint that you may be mouth breathing is a dry mouth. Also, You might try; "Hi!, What's your AHI?"
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape,

I can't say I notice a dry mouth. He had an extra new mask and it was only Nasal Sad. I should really find out lol. Also going to read that beginners guide to sleepy head in your links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mc92,
When you get your SD card and get #SleepyHead downloaded, you can upload a screenshot here, and someone will be happy to take a look.
An AHI of 24 is pretty high, but we can help you get that dialed in.

Did you delete or reset the previous users data from the machine, because if not, when you put in a new SD card, the machine will rewrite some of the data back to the card.

Use the tutorials at the end of my post to show you how to organize your graphs in #SleepyHead, and post them here.  
Sleep-well
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2017, 07:29 PM)mc92 Wrote: Hi, c0mbe

Do you think I should get a sample size of about a week or so on auto mode for sleepyhead? Or should I run it tonight and post the results tomorrow.

Usually you need more than 1 night to spot a trend.  A lot of people on this board will tell you to wait a week after making changes to settings as it may reveal trends that would be lost on one night.  In this particular case, since you are trying to figure out where you are, it would be helpful to post a night just to make sure your starting settings are on the right track.  

For ex:  7 could be far too low a starting pressure and suffering through multiple nights of high AHI isn't going to tell you anything other than raise the minimum.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,

I just went and bought a new sd card. Can't wait to upload the data tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to switch to a full mask and the nasal mask will work. They look expensive. Thanks for the post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 142 9 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 265 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 305 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 494 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.