Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member, still trying to figure out my machine
Question 
New member, still trying to figure out my machine
hi all, i am new to the board today....found you looking for information on the settings on my system....i have complex sleep apnea...OSA is 74 episodes an hour with duration average of 20 sec [can't really understand those numbers Huhsign ] and on second study found i also have central apnea, so i am on a Respironics BiPAP S/T with the System One humidifier.... started with a setting of 16/11 then 18/11 and newest setting is 18/13 because still having 10.3 episodes... my question: isn't the 18 the amount of pressure IN??.. i am having a problem with the different techs, 4 so far, and each change has taken a couple of trips into the offices...my manual is no where to be found, though i would swear it was in my carrier, so now i would like to see which settings are in the machine, and clarify what they mean.....as of the last visit to the tech, i have less pressure going in......it is 13...so which setting is wrong?.... and where can i find a manual? and i have no idea of the software used, i know that one of the techs i saw tried to download from my smart card and was not able to.......thanks for any guidance you can give...
Shy sam
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member, still trying to figure out my machine
(04-29-2012, 10:35 AM)sam18nov Wrote: .... and where can i find a manual? and i have no idea of the software used, i know that one of the techs i saw tried to download from my smart card and was not able to.......thanks for any guidance you can give...

Hi sam18nov. Welcome to the forum. You can find the clinician's manuals for many machines here, although I don't know if your's is included. Just check the various options - one lets you download immediately, the other requires an email response. Both are swift. If you don't find it here, let us know. Various forum members will undoubtedly have the same machine and be able to help more specifically.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2012, 10:35 AM)sam18nov Wrote: OSA is 74 episodes an hour with duration average of 20 sec [can't really understand those numbers Huhsign ]

I think you mean that your AHI is 74. 74 episodes an hour means that 74 times each hour you either stop breathing or your breathing becomes very shallow. Each of these episodes lasts for 20 seconds

Quote:.... started with a setting of 16/11 then 18/11 and newest setting is 18/13 because still having 10.3 episodes... my question: isn't the 18 the amount of pressure IN??..

Yes. The first number is the pressure while inhaling, called the IPAP, the second number is the pressure while exhaling, called the EPAP.

It sounds like everything is going ok for you. Just see what happens after a few days of therapy. Hopefully you can get your AHI below 5. That's the goal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2012, 10:35 AM)sam18nov Wrote: and i have no idea of the software used, i know that one of the techs i saw tried to download from my smart card and was not able to.......thanks for any guidance you can give...

Welcome aboard, sam!

Hopefully your sd card is not corrupted. As for the software, you might want to try SleepyHead (see the thread "[How to] SleepyHead CPAP Reporting Software - JediMark")

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much!! i have requested the manual, and have been able to see the settings....

i know that the mask is blowing a LOT less pressure in my face... so what happened??... i have been playing with this since september...
i have no problem leaving the mask on and using it all nite, every nite....but have had horrible leak problems, and now the pressure is so low, no leaks.....definitely going to check out the links....want to see what is going on.....

thanks again!
samShy
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you could use a little help adjusting your mask. Go to:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2012, 02:32 PM)Cutter Wrote: It sounds like you could use a little help adjusting your mask. Go to:

Shy thanks Cutter, very interesting.... will start playing with it....but not sure if it is needed now, since they backed off the pressure... makes me wish i knew what it was set on.....seems my card is blocked to downloads
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2012, 02:50 PM)sam18nov Wrote: ....but not sure if it is needed now, since they backed off the pressure... makes me wish i knew what it was set on.....seems my card is blocked to downloads

The display on the machine shows you the pressure as you breathe in and out.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for Jumping on the post but I just wanted to welcome the New Members and at last a European

Welcome

Le Hello conseil de direction apnea the et to welcome et and forum
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2012, 11:56 AM)sam18nov Wrote: i have no problem leaving the mask on and using it all nite, every nite....but have had horrible leak problems, and now the pressure is so low, no leaks.....definitely going to check out the links....want to see what is going on.....
Congrats using it all nite every nite, amazing how we get used to the pressure sometimes have put my hand in front of the mask or move it away from my face just to feel the air blowing and the machine still on.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Can Anyone Help me figure out what this is? jmperez1013 1 157 03-11-2024, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 327 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 494 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,021 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,556 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.