Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member, test results today, anything I need beware?
New member, test results today, anything I need beware?
I'm um, fast tracking my testing to try to get on some sort of treatment, when I decided to try my Pulse Oximeter because I kept waking up, and saw lots below 80, and my sleep steadily going from 5 hours of nonproductive to worse, well, fast tracking it.

So I've gotten in to a sleep doc and in-home testing (just the pulse ox and something up the nose, the...resmed plus unit I think it was). I had a good night (for me, I'm sure they still got sub 80's, but I wasn't awake 5/8 hours).

Anything in particular I need be concerned about/you wish you'd known at this stage? Or do things progress at an ok pace?

I want to be sure to end up with something expandable enough for when I have weeks like week before last, that's for sure.

Thanks! And, well, all things considered, glad to be here! Hope to contribute as well as take eventually Smile

--Alex

----------More background stuff below for any who want it-------------

44 yr old male, pushing the top of my ideal BMI but generally healthy and, well, traditionally active. Always insomniac, lately progressively worse. Added almost daily migraines or headaches to the mix.

Since this is my year of doing all of the doctors I usually put off I saw psychiatrist and neurologist, got a few meds for insomnia and migraines and an MRI, nothing amiss, meds not helping with migraines/headaches.

Noticed my heavy breathing when I awake after an hour or 2, thought, hmm, if I'm out of breath, lets use that pulse ox from the closet and see, and sure enough, I'm out of breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member, test results today, anything I need beware?
Welcome to Apnea Board awoodby,

It's good you've had an in home study done, now a lot depends on what insurance coverage you have.

Contact your insurance and make sure you understand what is covered and what you many be responsible for. Then keep bugging your doctor for results of the test.

You may be required to have a second study done (called a titration), this will tell the doctor what pressure is needed to control your apnea. From there, you will get a script to purchase a Cpap machine. This is where you will need to educated yourself on the machines available, so that a DME doesn't try to give you what we call a "brick", a machine that gives no useful data.

Of course, depending what your testing shows, you would want no less than a fully data capable Auto Cpap machine, with heated humidifier and hose.

Here is a link that will help you in choice of machines and what to avoid:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Always ask for a copy of your sleep study and perscription for your records.

If you do not have insurance coverage, or have a high deductible, it may be better to purchase out of pocket.

Here is a link to a supplier list to help you check things out. Supplier #2 sells good used cpaps and also new open box units at a lower cost.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Don't want to throw anymore at you, but you did ask. Grin
Good luck, and let us know of your results.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh by all means, throw more at me if you wish, I'm a fast reader Wink

I'm looking at all of this with optimism, and hope that in a month or so, I'll be better than I've been in who knows how long.

Well, except for every 4 or 5 days when the exhaustion just brings all that emotion up for a few, but then back to optimism Smile

Good to have something to look into, something to possibly fix rather than just progressive deterioration!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2016, 12:14 PM)awoodby Wrote: Oh by all means, throw more at me if you wish, I'm a fast reader Wink

I'm looking at all of this with optimism, and hope that in a month or so, I'll be better than I've been in who knows how long.

Well, except for every 4 or 5 days when the exhaustion just brings all that emotion up for a few, but then back to optimism Smile

Good to have something to look into, something to possibly fix rather than just progressive deterioration!

It's good to have the attitude you seem to possess, this take a lot of adjusting to, and the right attitude helps.

One more thing, finding a mask that works for you is the hardest part, so when you
get to that point, ask your supplier/DME for a 30 day trial, so you can return and try something else. Smile

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read through that, I was aiming for the Resmed 10 Auto. The Phillips PRS1 Auto's half the price and bluetooth? Hrm. But I can't see skimping a few hundred at the risk of one iota of better sleep right now.

I have very good insurance too, that should help even more.

Thanks very much for the info/letting me know where to look in such short time. I'm sure within a week or 2 I'll be caught up on most of the rest, these will help greatly going in to today though, and I thank you much!

--Alex
Post Reply Post Reply
I will definitely try to use a supplier that allows returns/30 day trials, that's a great idea, I was wondering how I was going to manage the masks, thanks for that tip too!

Well, off to my results appointment, I'm so ready!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi awoodby,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you at your appointment.
Hang in there and much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the Dr.'s appt was a bit of a let down. I knew I'd had a few good days when I did the in-home testing, well, lowest I'd gone was 82, and I'd stopped breathing 16 times, apparently that wasn't enough to warrant any rush or something, he wanted me to come back in like 3 weeks for an overnight test, IF my insurance allowed, and MAYBE get me on a cpap.

Way too much ifs.

One advantage to being way overexhausted, when, my voice cracking, I told them that wouldn't work, I'm not functioning, etc, they did manage to get me in next week, and from there they will get me on a machine.

SO, NEXT week to start on some help I guess. Oh, and I suspect, to start the fight for the machine I want. So, planning for that now!

As you can probably tell, my exhaustion is overcoming my optimism, I apologize if I'm being whiny, it's just the sleepy talking, it will pass.
Thanks @trish4hundred!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

glad you found us before heading in to DME Smile

If you have great insurance, you will probably be getting your supplies via DME. Look at your policy for Durable Medical Equipment, if you have premium plan (as I do) all of this may be covered at 100%. a DME will generally let you try on several masks in their office and choose and give you 1 free exchange in the first 30 days. This worked out fine for me. One tip is to try laying your head on something while trying the mask --- can be difficult in the dme's office.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
@DariaVader The sleep clinic will be sending me home with some kind of unit after my overnight next tuesday, then 2 months later I come in for an appointment with the Dr.

Where will the DME fit into that?

I do have a premium PPO plan (because I know I'd mess anything else up), it's covered anything else I've thrown at it.

Will the one they send me home with be something to test out what I really need, measure and the like? Then the decision/fight comes when I meet with the Dr. at the end of the 2 months? Or will my insurance make me go to some DME shop at that point with the Dr's script?

Just trying to figure out what to get, a specific script or DME or what, to get an autoset as I KNOW my sleep varies greatly, I don't want to be stuck to one pressure when my needs vary so greatly.

Thanks for the input!!

--Alex
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 181 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 158 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.