Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member with a few questions
New member with a few questions
Hello everyone. I am glad I found this forum. Hopefully I can get some questions answered that I should have had nailed down when I started this adventure. I believe I have been using a CPAP for over 8 years. The same machine since day one. It was the one they pulled out of their closet handed to me and sent me out the door. My experience with the doctor and assistants was less than desirable and only got worse from that point.
After a sleep study and follow up appointment I was handed a ResMed Escape S9 with humidifier and I use the Mirage FX nose mask. They had set it already and was sent out the door.
I had two follow up appointments where the doctor poked his head in and asked if I was doing okay then off he went. Then that was it. I have been sleeping okay. My questions are the following.
1. What is a normal check up schedule for someone with sleep apnea?
2. How long do these machines last and how would I know if it wasnt working correctly?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member with a few questions
My sleep doc expects to see me annually, unless something comes up requiring a visit sooner.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2017, 08:45 PM)nicpaige Wrote: My questions are the following.
2. How long do these machines last and how would I know if it wasnt working correctly?

1. The frequency of your visits is determined by the severity of your condition and if your symptoms appear to be getting worse or you develop new symptoms. So there is no such thing as a "normal" check up schedule. Personally, I have found that with many doctors most checkups are a product of the insurance compliance issues and have little or nothing to do with your health. If you have downloaded the #SleepyHead software and reviewing your numbers, you may wish to discuss pressure changes in your therapy before you undertake self-determined changes. I expect to see my sleep doctor once per year to review progress and results absent any modifications to my daily activities which may require a consultation. Pretty much how you feel is the guideline to seeking an appointment.

2. Most machines have a design life of at least five years and many are still operational long after that. You may wish to have your doctor or DME check the pressure once in a while or you can purchase a pressure gauge and do it yourself periodically. If you have a "burnt" or strange smell in the system after appropriate cleaning, you may wish to have it checked out professionally. If you are on Medicare, you may be eligible or a new machine after five years. Otherwise, it is a function of your finances and insurance.

Good luck with your continued therapy.

"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2017, 08:45 PM)nicpaige Wrote: Hello everyone. I am glad I found this forum. Hopefully I can get some questions answered that I should have had nailed down when I started this adventure. I believe I have been using a CPAP for over 8 years. The same machine since day one. It was the one they pulled out of their closet handed to me and sent me out the door. My experience with the doctor and assistants was less than desirable and only got worse from that point.
After a sleep study and follow up appointment I was handed a ResMed Escape S9 with humidifier and I use the Mirage FX nose mask. They had set it already and was sent out the door.
I had two follow up appointments where the doctor poked his head in and asked if I was doing okay then off he went. Then that was it. I have been sleeping okay. My questions are the following.

Hi nicpaige,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

A normal followup with your Doctor should be once a year; that is what most insurances would require. You have been lucky to not have problems in the 8 years of therapy on the S9 Escape. But now it's time to think about an updated machine.

Depends on your situation now (whether you have insurance coverage or not) how to proceed. If you have coverage, they may require you to have a sleep study done, especially if you haven't seen a doctor for 8 years.

If your old enough to have Medicare coverage, you would be eligible for a new machine, but they would still require a new study.

Do you have your original perscription from 8 years ago?

If you don't have coverage, there are ways we can advise to obtain a good machine for a decent price.

Start some research on the current machines and which to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Your S9 escape may or may not be working at it's best, and it is a matter of time before it will die.

You will want to pursue a fully data capable auto cpap that works with #SleepyHead software.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide so we can help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nicpaige,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You are due for a new machine, you would be better served by a fully data-capable one.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 143 11 hours ago
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 306 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 463 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.