Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member with a new machine
New member with a new machine
Just as the subject says.. 

I am a new member here and with a new Dream Station, just wanted to introduce myself.

I am 41, male and have been a very successful CPAP user for 12 years. I was diagnosed with severe OSA and was given a Remstar Bipap Auto M Series the day after my test. I felt great after the test and called later that day to insist that I get a machine ASAP. I was told that they already had one for me. Upon meeting with the assistant that set up the machines for patients ( I never met with a doctor) I was told that my oxygen was dropping to 80% and that I had well over 200 "events" an hour. Apparently I was close to not waking back up at all. After driving my car off the road three times and falling asleep while getting out of my car, I believe them. (insert countless other horror stories here). I do still have my original study, but have not been back to the sleep doc for 12 years. I may also have the oldest still perfectly working Remstar M too as I was still using it until this past Monday. My pressure is at 16 and has never been changed. I need to get the hour count off that thing. I have been through 3 hoses, 1 tank and 3 masks throughout the years too (Ebay). Everything else is stock. I use tap water and don't really clean it all that much.

So needless to say I don't have the option leave my trusty M at home which has been a challenge since I am also an avid camper. Through the years I have made and drug around batteries to power my machine. I now have a relatively light weight lithium solution (3) lbs that I can get 2 nights out of (about 12 hours).

I have had a spare M for camping, but that machine failed (service error) and I have been running on thin ice with an old machine and no backup. After a few calls I found that I would need to go through the whole testing process again and possibly have huge wait times for a new machine. My original testing facility is long out of business so no help there. When a quick search on Ebay returned no results for a machine I looked on my local FaceBook area sales and there lies a almost new Dream Station complete with heated hose and humidifier. Total hours used was around 60. The asking price was 400 and I got it for 350. 

So after a good cleaning and a tweak to the settings (memory wipe too) I am up and running. I am an IT guy so I am loving all the geeky reporting that is possible on this machine. I have DreamMapper installed and have installed SleepyHead as well. I need to get a good handle on the info as there is quite alot, but that will come with time and reading. I decided to set my DS up in Auto CPAP as I wanted to take advantage of any adjustments the machine could make. Just sounded like a good idea. My new DS is going to be the princess getting only distilled water and regular cleanings. Grin

DreamMapper reports:
AHI .3  
Mask fit 100%. 
Min pressure 13cmH2O    (going to bump this up to 16)
Max Pressure 16cmH2O   ( will bump this too I think, maybe 18 or 19 as I reported an OSA)
Mode CPAPCheck

I am seeing some conflicting information between DM and SleepyHead. SH shows some leakage and DM does not. 

Does anyone know if running in Cpap Check vs Bipap offers any benefit? Should I have continued as BIPAP or am I onto something? The numbers appear to look good (to a novice).

Thx folks

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member with a new machine
edit ignore what I said before and I have now deleted., I just noticed you have swapped the bipap for an auto cpap

new post..
I would keep the min at 13 for now, till you get a chart up. the apnea is being treated at this pressure

Have you got the clinical manual from the link?
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes I did thanks. I do need to get some charts up and have someone have a look to see if I'm missing something.

Appreciate the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and welcome, I would not put up the lower pressure until you see what you need normally on the high pressure.
I would bump up the high to at least 18 just just to see how high it gets.
I think you need to get your data chart up so the guys here can have a look to see how you are doing.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
bige94, I also started on the M-Series, but retired it several years ago with over 19000 hours. One big advantage of the new dreamstation is that you can access detailed data in #Sleephead. Be sure to download and install this free software. You will learn a great deal about your therapy. With the Dreamstation in a range of 13 to 16 you only had an AHI of 0.3. That's nearly perfect, and unless you are uncomfortable, there is no need to change pressure. This is where the data can help. You only had one OA event, and you can look at the charts and see what pressure you were at when it occurred; however this is not a cause for changing pressure.

Your machine should be in Auto mode. The Mask Check mode is just for checking mask fit. Download the free clinical setup manual for your machine from the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-03-2017, 12:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: bige94, I also started on the M-Series, but retired it several years ago with over 19000 hours.  One big advantage of the new dreamstation is that you can access detailed data in #Sleephead.  Be sure to download and install this free software.  You will learn a great deal about your therapy.  With the Dreamstation in a range of 13 to 16 you only had an AHI of 0.3.  That's nearly perfect, and unless you are uncomfortable, there is no need to change pressure.  This is where the data can help.  You only had one OA event, and you can look at the charts and see what pressure you were at when it occurred; however this is not a cause for changing pressure.  

Your machine should be in Auto mode.  The Mask Check mode is just for checking mask fit.  Download the free clinical setup manual for your machine from the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Thanks Sleeprider,

I have used the manual to set up my machine and have looked at the data using SH. I'll get some logs up ASAP so i can get some insight.

BTW... I checked my old M and have 22493 hrs on it. Going to be my camping/ back up machine now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2017, 12:48 AM)bige94 Wrote:
(11-03-2017, 12:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: bige94, I also started on the M-Series, but retired it several years ago with over 19000 hours.  One big advantage of the new dreamstation is that you can access detailed data in #Sleephead.  Be sure to download and install this free software.  You will learn a great deal about your therapy.  With the Dreamstation in a range of 13 to 16 you only had an AHI of 0.3.  That's nearly perfect, and unless you are uncomfortable, there is no need to change pressure.  This is where the data can help.  You only had one OA event, and you can look at the charts and see what pressure you were at when it occurred; however this is not a cause for changing pressure.  

Your machine should be in Auto mode.  The Mask Check mode is just for checking mask fit.  Download the free clinical setup manual for your machine from the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Thanks Sleeprider,

I have used the manual to set up my machine and have looked at the data using SH. I'll get some logs up ASAP so i can get some insight.

BTW... I checked my old M and have 22493 hrs on it. Going to be my camping/ back up machine now.

The M-Series seemed pretty durable, and I was resistant to retiring it.  Once done, I never looked back.   Let us know if we can help.  You have a lot of experience and seem to have this down.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bige94,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2017, 08:12 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi bige94,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy and also with your new machine.

Thanks Trish
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,282 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 200 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 535 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,097 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,619 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,070 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 495 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.