Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member with questions.
New member with questions.
Just diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea after a home sleep study. I had 69 apneas and 65 hypopneas in just under 7 hours for an ahi of 19.6. Average oxygen was 92 with the low at 83. Not sure how all this works from here. What I know is My doctor will contact the home health care place here in town to get me set up with a Cpap. I have been reading up on machines an believe I would like to try the resmed a10 auto set, do I decide which machine or does someone else. Any input on what to do or not to do would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member with questions.
You absolutely have a right to pick the machine you want. You should not settle for anything less than a fully data capable auto cpap.

Here is a link to show you the newest machines and which to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Talk to your doctor soon and let him know what you want, so that when you go to the provider, they won't try to give you what we call a "brick". That would be a machine that is not data capable.
A lot of providers try to do this, because it's more profit for them.

You have to be your own advocate. Also, get a copy of your prescription and sleep study. You never know when you will need them, and it's easier to get these now than later down the road.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Junior7734,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What OpalRose said.

Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your
post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well 5 weeks later and a bunch of phone calls I will finally be getting my machine on Thursday. Irritating having to wait for approval from insurance when it isnt costing them anything. I'm getting a resmed A10 auto set, they said I have 30 days to return masks if they don't work. Hopefully that will work out as I have a full beard. I did find it odd that this is set up as a rental, I put x amount down and so much a month for 9 months. Is this common place? Any advice on this machine or mask suggestions? TIA.
Post Reply Post Reply
you can ask your insurance if they require rental. if you are paying out of pocket or much in the way of percentage, it is to your advantage to pay lump sum, or even go around insurance and buy online. Really depends on coverage. Seems the DME and Ins companies do like the 13mo rental scheme, tho
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Do the math and shop for your own stuff. Use this site for lots of information and support.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. My insurance requires the rental, comparably I felt the price wasn't too bad and I like buying locally in case of any problems. Just used the machine for the first time and think it went well. Slept almost 7 hours and my ahi was 1.5. Woke twice because I was tangled on the hose, but slept fine otherwise. It said I took my mask off twice but didn't know I had. Im usuing a nasal mask and it recorded no leaks, so that seems to be working and is tolerable. My throats was a little dry and sore this morning so do I need to adjust the humidifier setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
"My throats was a little dry and sore this morning so do I need to adjust the humidifier setting? "

Was you mouth dry ? could you be letting the air out of an open mouth ? if so maybe a chin strap or full face mask might help.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2016, 08:03 AM)Junior7734 Wrote: It said I took my mask off twice but didn't know I had ... My throat was a little dry and sore this morning

The machine is just guessing. From your description, you opened your mouth and dropped your tongue twice causing the pressurized air to rush out of your mouth. The machine interprets that as taking the mask off (same measurable effect to the machine) and this also dries out your throat mouth something serious!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just look at chill's picture Laugh-a-lot

On a better note what he said is spot on and may help you understand more.

Love you chill Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 154 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 136 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 495 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.