Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Smile 
Hi! I'm new here. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but my test is tomorrow night and I fully expect it to be positive for sleep apnea.

I have a few questions about the treatment.

1. Which is better CPAP or BiPAP?

2. How hard is it to adjust to the mask?

3. I'm claustrophobic. Will a mask be a problem for me?

Any information anyone is willing to share will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member
Dragon,

Welcome!

1. Please refer to the Wiki associated with this forum, but short answer below.

CPAP - Continuous Positive Airway Pressure. The machine provides a fixed pressure. It may have a means of decreasing the pressure on exhalation, called different things by different manufacturers (EPR Exhalation Pressure Relief, A-Flex, B-Flex, C-Flex, etc.). In general, this feature only decreases pressure by 3 cmH2O maximum. Many people find it doesn't synchronize with their breathing cycle and can be detrimental, many people think it work great.

BPAP, BiLevel - Bilevel is the same as CPAP but a more complicated machine that can change the pressure during inhalation and exhalation even more than the 3 cmH2O. It really is a different mode of treatment, often applied to people who have other respiratory issues requiring more than a standard CPAP can provide. These machines are, generally, much more expensive.

APAP, Auto - APAP is a CPAP or BPAP machine that has senses your breathing status and can either increase or decrease the treatment pressure, and the exhalation pressure on some machines, based on how you are doing that week, that night, or even that hour. While it is the topic of much discussion, many people have had very positive results using this type of treatment. Again, it is a different mode of treatment.

2. & 3. Some people adjust quickly, some don't. All I can say it most people who stick with it do adjust and their life is improved.

You'll have many more questions. You've found an excellent place for information, tips, and just plain support. One thing I can recommend, check here before you accept just any machine (if you find it's needed). The people here can make sure you get a machine that has the capabilities (data) to help you manage your treatment.

Please keep us up to date and post any question you have!
Post Reply Post Reply
1 - What jd said. Bilevel PAP is not better than CPAP, just different.
The wiki is here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home
various acronyms are here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

2 - what jd said

3 - you may find nasal pillows are easier since they don't cover the nose or rest on the face. They insert slightly into the nostrils. Most don't have anything that goes up between the eyes. Others feel that nasal masks are less claustrophibic because the space feels more open vs the pillows which are close.

The only other advice is to not get stressed about the sleep test. Hard to do with all those things on you but the more you relax and sleep, the better the results.

Oh, and

Welcome
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also new to treatment having spent 17 nights with a Bi-Flex machine. Yes the mask is intrusive, especially if you were a tummy sleeper. The good news is I feel soooo much better in the morning after a good nights sleep the reward offsets the intrusion. Just left my ophthalmologist office and he told me the increase in night time oxygen would benefit my entire body. I've fought progressively increasing sleep apnea for the last 20 years and am so glad I finally went for treatment.

You've found a great forum, I've learned so much from this site is a very short period of time...

Relax and good luck,
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome mrldragon! I'm a seasoned veteran of almost 9 months now LOL! You've come to the right place. I knew very little about sleep apnea 9 months ago and am still learning. This site will help you shorten the learning curve immensely in gaining an understanding of your condition and how to effectively treat it!
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the replies and kind welcomes. I'm actually anxious to have the test, because I'm so sick of being sleepy by 8 p.m. and waking up with a headache every morning. Plus I know the other things this condition can be doing to me. I'll check out the Wiki! Look forward to hanging around.
Post Reply Post Reply
PAP therapy is the most effective treatment for OSA and it,ll help you to breathe easier, sleep better and live healthier but its not a miracle cure it require commitment and the patience of Solomon to make it work. There will be some teething problems along the way but if addressed quickly and promptly it,ll become part of the nightly routines just like putting on your pyjamas or brushing your teeth.
Best of luck with the sleep study .....keep us posted Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the group MRLDragon! Looks like you've already got good info.
Most people do take a little bit to adjust and even longer to get comfortable with the idea that this is your sleeping partner for life! This treatment helps me tremendously! I know because I am one of those who got tired of it after a year or so and threw it in the closet for a number of years. I'm back to it!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Cool
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum MRLDragon, good luck with your test..
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 498 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,560 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,014 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 458 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 429 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.