Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

RE: New member
Welcome I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried both the nose mask and the nose pillows and personally, the nose pillows are more comfortable and intuitive to use. Don't mind the nose mask, but I hate the feeling of something over my nose. I can't imagine what a full face mask would feel like. Hope that once you get fitted into your unit, you'll have the opportunity to try out a few types of masks. It's weird at first but you'll eventually get used to it. The benefits outweigh the weirdness factor associated with this type of treatment. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome- hope your test went ok.
"1. Which is better CPAP or BiPAP?

2. How hard is it to adjust to the mask?

3. I'm claustrophobic. Will a mask be a problem for me?"

Neither one is really better than the other- sometimes it's a comfort decision, sometimes OSA responds better to one machine or the other. I believe simple is better- straight CPAP.

If you get a well fitting mask it should not be too difficult. It takes great patience. If you're claustrophobic brush up on your relaxation techniques, or get a prescription for a small dose of an anti anxiety drug to get you through a couple of weeks if necessary. Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Mrldragon, WELCOME to the forum.! I'm fairly new here and have learned a lot so far. Don't be afraid to ask any questions as you will get plenty of help here. I hope your sleep study went okay; it will be great to find out how it went. Good luck on your treatment.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2012, 09:53 AM)mrldragon Wrote: Hi! I'm new here. I haven't been diagnosed yet, but my test is tomorrow night and I fully expect it to be positive for sleep apnea.

I know that I'm coming in late here - but I have to ask...

Did you study for your test? Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome - I am relatively new to CPAP about 3 - 4 months I have lost count now - I have had sleep apnea forever... finally got it diagnosed this year. I was really worried that CPAP 1. wouldn't work for me or 2. I wouldn't like it and couldn't keep it up for the rest of my life. I have been told I am one of the lucky ones but I loved it from the 2nd night onwards! (my first night was just weird not bad) by the 2nd night I thought it wasn't working properly because I had already stopped feeling the pressure of the airflow. I have had a few leak issues with my mask but using a really soft pillow fixed most of that for me and learning how to adjust the mask evenly and not too loose and not too tight... I now look forward to hooking up every night, my family think I am crazy but I sleep so well now and have felt more alert some days than I think I ever have so it is definitely worth it!! I have had 2 cold/flu's since CPAP and that is a challenge, unfortunately I have had to sleep upright on a couple of nights without my mask... hated it.

I have loved this forum and I enjoy reading other peoples experiences or hearing opinions and advice. You will love it here.... Dancing

Post Reply Post Reply
If your sleep study confirms that you have sleep apnea, you have come to the right place. It takes a while for most of us to fine tune our therapy, whether it is an interface change from mask to pillows, pillows to mask, or pressure changes, or chin straps, or humidity changes, or whatever. We will help you with all of this and the whatever.

Welcome to Apnea Board!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 197 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 524 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,079 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,607 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 1,057 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 487 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog
  New Member Intro and OSCAR charts DaveInDenver 2 453 08-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: DaveInDenver

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.