Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reading the leakage stats
Reading the leakage stats
Hi

Just a query on the leakage readings on my Resmed Airsense 10

I usually just check the on machine summaries and average around 19L/min over one year.

I don't usually reference the data on my PC using the Rescan programme. However when I did this morning the leakage rates graph show - medium, 95 perecentile and max. I assume the main indicator is the " median". Would that be correct ??

Another odd thing happens every so often. After a full nights use the screen display may only record a short duration eg 48 mins this morning ! Noted on this Forum that some one suggests that the machine has been inadvertently (unconciously ?) switched off during sleep - possible I guess.

Have used the machine for around six years now with pretty good results. I do notice though when I get one nostril blocked I have to change from the P10 pillows mask to the Nasal type as this allows for normal breathing - albeit, the nasal mask expels a lot of air out of the vents whereas the pliilows mask does not !

Thanks

Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reading the leakage stats
Ronl the issue with the short sleep session shown on the display of the machine is likely due to either the time you woke or the internal clock set incorrectly. Resmed starts a new day at noon. So it’s likely according to the internal clock that noon was 48 minutes before you woke up.

Also for leaks anything under 24 is fine on a Resmed
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello jaswilliams

Thanks for the feedback. Smile

I think the clock setting is ok as last night it worked fine - initially a period of around seven and a half hours until around 4am then I switched it off and looked up some Iphone news etc  for around half an hour and switched it back on and awoke around three hours later - around ten and a half hours total.

I am just starting to look into the Rescan programme again after basically not using it for over five years - certainly a lot of good data there !

Last nights graphs off the Rescan looked very good. 10.7 hrs, leak 12/L min, ahi 0.8 - very low volume snore rate but infrequent.

As indicated I mainly use the nasal mask now as, for some reason , the pillows type just won't allow proper airflow with one blocked nostril that now seems to be "most of the time" for some reason !

Something else I just started doing was changing the pressure from the usual 8 to 7  - no problems at all with the nasal mask. (started off with the pillows but had to swap after about five minutes - and I had the pressure set at 9 for the pillows !). For myself at least it is rather interesting as to how much better the nasal mask is even though it does expel a lot of air through the vent. This can be a bit annoying when the air hits blankets, pillows etc. Obviously the "expelling of air function" of the nasal mask does not translate into leakage figures for some reason - very diffent design parameters between the ResMed Swift FX Nano (nasal) and the ResMed Airfit P10 ( pillows mask).

I am guessing that the lowest pressure you can comfortably use translates into lower leaks also.

Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
What is a "normal" leak rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
Really an update, but I took too long.

What is a "normal" leak rate? Does it depend on the mask?

I've been playing musical masks for the last month trying to find the right one for me. The main criterion for a while was the number of "large leaks" (defined as any leak that exceeds 25 liters per minute). I just looked for the gray shading that indicated a large leak, and ranked the mask as good or bad. Lately, though, I've been sorting through masks with no large leaks, so I just looked at the Leak Rate graph, and wondered why they all looked similar. Today I noticed the axis scaling on the Leak Rate graphs and it was different every day -- so even though the charts looked similar, the scales went from 0 to 11 to as high as 0 to 105. The "scaling mode" was Autofit, but I don't know how that's determined.

If I change the scaling mode to, say, 0 to 15, that then applies to all sessions, past and present, so I can change it to allow easy comparison. So I changed it to 0 to 100, to see how bad the large leaks really were, and there were many leaks over 25 l/m that didn't show up as "Large" (i.e. no gray shading), so I remain moderately confused. Looks like the "large" designation is applied as a qualitative measure only.

Note: using OSCAR 1.1.0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 137 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 106 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 20 992 03-08-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 370 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 260 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 347 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Help with reading OSCAR and adjusting settings deirdrepen 2 240 01-24-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: deirdrepen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.