Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New on Bipap ASV, have a few questions
RE: New on Bipap ASV, have a few questions
I agree with SleepRider that your Hypopneas are the residual of an incompletely stopped Central Apnea. There is a thing called Central Hypopnea. This is identified by the lack of breathing effort which are identified by those stress sensors that you wear around your chest and waist during a sleep study. Unfortunately, most sleep studies do not split these out, I haven't seen one yet. I think that nearly all your hypopneas are central hypopneas. The purpose of the backup is to trigger a breath when you have a central event, and in ResMeds case maintain a "constant" minute vent.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are very likely right and my assumptions are probably wrong, I didn't even know Central Hypopnea was a thing Smile You definitely have much more experience.

I might still try the backup off for one night, just so I can lay that theory to rest Wink

With all that said, it seems my central are not properly treated, and more pressure didn't seem to help with that (and caused aerophagia), it almost sounds like the solution would be to use a resmed with the faster response then ? Is there something else I should try with this dreamstation ?
Post Reply Post Reply
So I have tried without BPM and ... it was a mixed bag, but I'd like to hear what you make of it.

Removing the swj before 11:45 the AHI was under 5 which is good for me, and I do feel like I slept pretty good.

OTH, more CA for sure but much less Hypopneas (which may confirm your theory), from the graph I can see that my breaths dropped very low (single digit), during some CA's, so yeah I probably do need some backup rate to prevent those., seems I stop breathing a few times :-/

My natural breathing rate seems to very low (9-12 or so), don't know if that's normal, I always have a low heartbeat too though, if its related (40's at night, 60's day time).  So a backup rate is probably good for me, but it might need to be set low to not interfere constantly with my "normal" breathing rate ?

Even though the AHI is better, CA's are probably worst than hypopnea right ?

Anyway does this give you any useful data, any other settings I should try ?

Post Reply Post Reply
I think turning off the backup rate has shown that the hypopnoeas is caused by the machine trying to induce a breath and failling to induce a full one due to the limited pressure rise as we suspected earlier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, that makes sense, that pressure rise is not configurable though, is it ?

It sounds like the resmed could potentially really help me if that's the main issue .... there seem to be a lot of stories of people having much better results with the resmed than they did with the dreamstation for some eason.

I did find a better liked DME that can get me a resmed machines provided I get my prescription and study from the clinic (trying to), so I might try to return this machine and then switch to that new DME to get a new one, hopefully Resmed.

If I was using the backup rate consistently (say 12) do you think it's possible/likely that my body would adapt to it overtime ? maybe that's what the Dr was after.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your median rate 12 and your range is 8 to 19 your backup rate should be slightly slower than your normal rate. Try backup rate of 10, a bit lower than your med is an.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I had set it to 10 for that reason a few days ago, see post #34
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried changing the Ti setting, a value around 1.8 seems more comfortable fo me than 1.2 ... but in any case it had no effect on the hypopneas.

I'm near 0 on CA's and OA's but with still tons of those "hypnoeas" (or mistreated CA's)

Is there anything else I can do about those ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I might have to go to the clinic in person, i messaged them and talked to them on the phone, but so far haven't been able to get my study data and raw prescription (with equipment code) ....
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope you get these items. Just don't take a hammer to them. I can't travel well right now so I'd be unable to visit you in jail.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 158 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 254 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.