Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New or Used CPAP?
New or Used CPAP?
I have had sleep apnea for most of my life, but I have not used a CPAP before. I had a sleep test done and I as told I had 455 apneas that night, (7-8 hours). I obviously need a CPAP machine, but I can not afford any more than $700, incl a mask. I know this isn't a lot for a CPAP, but it's what I have to play with.

I found a deal on a Dreamstation Pro with humidifier for $629, but then I will need a mask as well, so I am around the $775 mark. I have read on this forum that an auto machine is best. Unfortunately, those machines are our of my budget.

I found an S9 AUTOSET ELITE model H5i with heated humidifier on Kijiji and they want $440, OBO. It is 5 years old and they say it has been well maintained. If I can get it for $350, and a new mask is another $150, that's $500 and within my budget.

My main question is, can a 5 year old CPAP machine suit my needs? Any experience with a used machine would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ian
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New or Used?
Unfortunately, the life of these machines is about 6yrs. If it has been continuously used for 5 yrs, then no.

Did you check out Supplier #2?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 07:05 PM)Ianmark Wrote: I have had sleep apnea for most of my life, but I have not used a CPAP before. I had a sleep test done and I as told I had 455 apneas that night, (7-8 hours). I obviously need a CPAP machine, but I can not afford any more than $700, incl a mask. I know this isn't a lot for a CPAP, but it's what I have to play with.

I found a deal on a Dreamstation Pro with humidifier for $629, but then I will need a mask as well, so I am around the $775 mark. I have read on this forum that an auto machine is best. Unfortunately, those machines are our of my budget.

I found an S9 AUTOSET ELITE model H5i with heated humidifier on Kijiji and they want $440, OBO. It is 5 years old and they say it has been well maintained. If I can get it for $350, and a new mask is another $150, that's $500 and within my budget.

My main question is, can a 5 year old CPAP machine suit my needs? Any experience with a used machine would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ian

Amazon. New Philips/Resmed APAP's at much less. $440+ IIRC. No prescription. Per folks on the board, evidently you just keep checking Amazon. This is not personal knowledge.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ianmark,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If you bought a used machine, especially at the 5-year-mark, you are getting it close to the end of it's life, that would be risky.
You might check the suppliers mentioned in other posts in this thread for newer machines.
Good luck to you as you search for your machine and as you start your CPAP journey.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2017, 07:05 PM)Ianmark Wrote: I have had sleep apnea for most of my life, but I have not used a CPAP before. I had a sleep test done and I as told I had 455 apneas that night, (7-8 hours). I obviously need a CPAP machine, but I can not afford any more than $700, incl a mask. I know this isn't a lot for a CPAP, but it's what I have to play with.

Thanks,
Ian

Any machine approaching five years is nearing the end of its useful life. Since the machine may not deliver quality therapy as it ages and repairs are liable to weigh heavily on your budget. consider looking at reputable suppliers with repair capability.

The way to look at this situation is to consider it an investment in your health and longevity. Skimp on other things but not your health.

Have you considered a go fund me type pitch? Have you consulted with your sleep physician to see if they have any insured patients stepping up to a higher-level machine (bi-pap, asv) and might be willing to let you have their older machine for a token price?

You do not mention insurance or any community resources you may have approached.

And, whatever machine you decide to obtain, make sure it is data capable and you can monitor your own progress.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I checked many of the Canadian online stores and none of them have an "Auto" CPAP in my price range, but I will keep looking. I have no private medical insurance, and the QC government insurance does not cover CPAP machines. I asked my Dr. about used machines and he said in the 10 years he has been doing sleep medicine, he has come upon 1 situation where there was a used machine available.

Used is out of the question since they are 5 years and older, so thank you for that info.

I'll just keep looking and hopefully, I'll find one that I can afford.

Ian
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe the doctor does not have the exposure to used machines that a medical equipment supplier might have.

I would expect there to be a certain percentage of new users that start off on CPAP and then get changed to a bilevel or ASV when CPAP fails to address their particular issues (so machines would be weeks or months old).

It's too bad that you don't have someone in the US that could take delivery of a machine for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm essentially in the same situation as you, and it took me a month from the diagnosis in April to make up my mind/put aside enough money to get a machine.

Although there used to be some good deals on Amazon a few months ago, they seem to have dried up recently. My plausible conspiracy theory? Thinking-about  The online retailer consortium put the screws on the Amazon sellers, among other things by using the obligation in the US to have a prescription not only for the machines, but also for the masks. The CPAP oligopoly cracked down on the competition they were getting from Amazon. Dodgy

Anywhatsits, I bit the bullet and ordered from the best Canadian online retailer I could find. I got one of their full package specials for an even CDN$900. More than what I initially set out to to pay, but it was complete, fast free shipping, very good customer support and good quality.

Why isn't this covered by the QC government insurance plan? Well, you know, we have so many wonderful things our gov'ts would rather spend all that money they gouge us for in the highest taxed jurisdiction in North America. If it's any thin consolation, there's no sales tax on medical equipment, and you can deduct it as a medical expense on you income tax return.

I'd still look on Amazon from time to time to see what may eventually pop up, but I'd avoid Kijiji for this sort of thing. Not that I haven't used them many times before for other less critical stuff, but I wouldn't for this.

In the end, I just saved up and reconciled myself to the fact that this was going to be an important part of my health and my life, and as is often the case in life, ultimately you've just got to do things for yourself.

All the best to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-12-2017, 04:13 AM)Ianmark Wrote: I checked many of the Canadian online stores and none of them have an "Auto" CPAP in my price range, but I will keep looking. I have no private medical insurance, and the QC government insurance does not cover CPAP machines. I asked my Dr. about used machines and he said in the 10 years he has been doing sleep medicine, he has come upon 1 situation where there was a used machine available.

Used is out of the question since they are 5 years and older, so thank you for that info.

I'll just keep looking and hopefully, I'll find one that I can afford.

Ian

SecondWind? They ship internationally. Also, are you able to go over the border and pick one up?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New or Used CPAP?
My sister lives in Ft. Worth, so if need be, I can have one shipped to her and she can ship it to me. But, that being said, what about warranty repairs? The US dollar is still at least 30% higher than ours, so the US probably isnn't the way to go, but I will look around.

Ian
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.