Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New patient, AHI still high and I'm still snoring
New patient, AHI still high and I'm still snoring
Pressure was fixed at 8 and my ahi was averaging 23. They programmed it to vary between 8-12 and I'm still showing ahi of between 9-18 and I'm still snoring. My original sleep study before treatment was averaging 19 (but 31 during REM sleep).....so it seems nothing is helping me. I'm a 50-yr old female weighing 120 lbs. I wear the mirage liberty mask because I can not have anything on he bridge of my nose due to prior broken (crushed) nose, and I am a mouth breather. Can not sleep on my side due to shoulder and back pain. Do I give up on cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New patient, AHI still high and I'm still snoring
maybe you still need a higher dose of air to keep that airway open! don't give up yet, try everything!!! Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI was still high the first two weeks. It takes a while to get used to the therapy. You may want to try a different mask; AirFit P10 is popular here as well as the Fisher and Paykel Pilairo Q, and Respironics Nuance.

With that level of AHI during your sleep study, you need this to work for you; find a comfortable mask and it is much easier!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, its helping.

Just not enough yet because you are not fully dialed in and you are new and have not adjusted physically yet to the therapy.

I had a home test at 57.7 AHI, and under therapy my AHI was ~20 for the first few days. Now it is well under 2.

It might be worth while to get SleepyHead software and figure out from that where your events are happening, pressure-wise. This can inform the therapy and let you make strategic changes to the pressure based on that.

Folks here are most-familiar with that software, so if you post your overnights here, there are a lot of smart folks that can advise you.

Going from a straight 8 to 8-13 seems to show a reduction in AHI, so that is a possible indicator that your minimum pressure should be raised a little bit. But we need the big picture to really know.
Post Reply Post Reply
Give up on cpap? no, you know better than that. Wink

You have a good mask for the pressure you are currently on. How long on therapy? Are you experiencing leaks? How do you feel in the morning? Are you pulling the mask too tight? If your machine has it, are you using ramp? EPR? There are a lot of variables. The Liberty does loosen up a little more when you lay on your back. This will increase leaks. You'll need to tighten the mask a little more than normal but not so tight you feel your pulse under your nose. I recently changed my pillow and now I'm able to sleep on either side and back with minimal impact on the mask. I know you said you can't lay on your side but could you if you had the proper support?

I will agree with the consensus and check out Sleepyhead and try other masks. See if your DME has the Amara View in yet. It's close to the Liberty but doesn't have pillows and doesn't come up as high as other full face masks.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
But what was her lab-titrated recommended optimal pressure?

Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2015, 05:13 PM)Daisylouu Wrote: Do I give up on cpap?
As John McEnroe would say .... you cannot be serious Smile
Seriously, giving up is not the answer, only compound the problem

Your pressure might be some adjustment buy you'll need the software to see whats exactly going on

You'll find out whether having large leaks and if pressure maxing out
Also, the breakdown of AHI events, obstructive, clear airways, hypopneas
If clear airways predominates, pressure adjustment is not going helps
Best, get on the phone and schedule an appointment with your sleep doc, asap

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Daisylouu,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but don't give up on it. The mask is the most difficult part of this whole thing so don't be shy about asking
to try different masks 'till you find what works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine tuned.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW, PR System One Auto have something called ... auto-trial and CPAP check modes
Read about here: http://www.medical.philips.com/pwc_hc/us...ndAuto.pdf

If you have done so already, the clinical manual available via email, provide information about your machine, msissing from the user guide
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

PRS1 setup http://www.apneaboard.com/pr-system-one-...structions
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel so clueless and virginal in this world of cpap confusion!! I like my liberty mask and adjusted pretty well to it (it was my 4th option on my titration study night). It took me 3 days until I could sleep all night and I have zero leaks.

My machine sends reports to my doctor, and I can check my ahi. But forgive me, but what is SleepyTime? How do I synch it with my machine and will it screw up the current wireless that monitors my machine??

Also, what is "periodic breathing"? Mine says 3%

I have an ap on my iphone "Sleep Talk" and it records my sounds sleeping....I snore pretty consistently from 11:00 PM until 1:00 PM. Then quiet down and have about 10 few-second snores/gasps the rest of the night until 5:30am.

My ahi is less earlier in the night when I'm snoring....and increases later in the night when I am quieter and not snoring as much.

Doctor wants me to try this for 6 weeks. Is that too long to wait until they adjust again?

Sorry for sounding so uneducated

Also, is there a way to see how much pressure was used during the night? When I turn it on, it just says 8.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 704 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,490 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.