Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New pressure causing mask errors
New pressure causing mask errors
Hi all, I had severe central appnea and went for another sleep study and the results had the doctor change my settings from autoset with a pressure of 5 to 7 to cpap with a pressure of 12 and ramp 20 minuets. I now have lower centrals (from 30 - 50 down to <10). Now I have mask errors every day. I have a nasal mask.

Thanks to all in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New pressure causing mask errors
G'day Whatda, welcome to Apnea Board.

Can you explain what you mean by "mask errors"? Are you referring to leaks? If so, the Autoset can cope with leaks under 24 L/min. However prolonged leaks can disturb your sleep so it's best to reduce or eliminate them as far as possible. If you are experiencing large leaks above 24 L/min, the machine won't be able to cope. Any apnea / hypopnea scores during large leaks are regarded as unreliable.

I'm interested that you are on an AutoSet for central apnea - this is not a normal course of treatment. But in your case, it appears to be having some success. Perhaps you have mixed or complex apnea with both central and obstructive events? Normally for severe central apnea I would expect you to be on an ASV machine (eg S9 VPAP Adapt). However, these are expensive so The System may require you to progress from CPAP/APAP through bilevel to ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, It indicates a bad fit and I havent downloaded but I suspect its leakage as I have more than normal. I have it autoset turned off and just using direct pressure. just dont know how to reduce the leakage.

The doctor originally had me purchase the autoset machine then the sleep lab said it was the wrong machine so just making it work the best we can without getting a new machine. The new dr. suspects things will work. I used to have both apneas ant they were doing the other study to see if I needed the vpap and they found during the study that increasing the pressure to 12 greatly reduced the apneas so now I have to figure out hope to cope with the increased pressure.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend trading in the nasal mask for nasal pillows. They are far more comfortable, and the direct application of pressure may allow you to reduce your CPAP pressure by 1-2 cm. Also, you might want to try different EPR settings to see if you get improvement or if it aggravates the centrals.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What model of nasal mask is it? How long have you had the cushion?

Does the leaking start while you're still awake? (Wondering if it's just that the mask isn't handling the pressure or if it happens, say, when you turn on your side in your sleep.)

Does your machine have a "check mask fit" function? I'm thinking not, but I'm not sure. If you could get the machine up to 12 cm while you're still awake, you could figure out where the leak is coming from.

I used to use the Wisp nasal mask. After some amount of use, the cushion would usually start leaking at the bridge of my nose, and I'd have to get a new one.

But that's what I'd recommend. Lie down, get the mask adjusted, and apply the full treatment pressure and see what you're dealing with.

Or you could switch to nasal pillows, as Sleeprider suggested. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi whatda,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you in getting your leak problems straightened out.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 447 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 251 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 405 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,600 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 341 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
  Mask for High Pressure on ASV PamVT41 8 527 12-16-2023, 02:43 PM
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 301 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.