Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New product for dry mouth
New product for dry mouth
I read about a new product for dry mouth today. It's called XyliMelts and is available from Amazon now and from Rite Aid in March. While I was pricing this product on Amazon I saw they had many products to treat dry mouth. I used Biotene gel last night and had improvement in my symptoms this morning.
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New product for dry mouth
Interesting Mary... thanks.

From Amazon, it currently sells for $17.05 for a box of 80 mints. Walgreens sells the same box for $19.99; CVS sells 40 mints for $9.99.

From the Amazon Product Description:

Amazon Wrote:The mint that's good for you. 80 domes of XyliMelts Mints for time-release of xylitol (500mg) in the mouth with mint freshening to promote oral health and reduce risk of blood infection. Xylitol suppresses harmful bacteria that cause plaque, bad breath, tooth decay, gum disease, and heart disease. The time-release technology of XyliMelts most effectively delivers xylitol in the mouth for the greatest anti-bacterial effect, meaning XyliMelts will outperform any xylitol gum, mint or candy on the market. Use XyliMelts daily as part of your oral care routine for a fresh, healthy smile!

Has any one tried these mints for dry mouth? If so, how did it work for you?

[Image: 781649257_260.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon Wrote:... Xylitol suppresses harmful bacteria that cause plaque, bad breath, tooth decay, gum disease, and heart disease ...

Heart disease is caused by bacteria? Can I get an immunization?
Post Reply Post Reply
JJJ, yes heart disease can certainly be caused by bacteria. That's why dentists routinely give antibiotics before major dental work. IV drug users are prone to this type of infection. The bacteria travel to the blood stream and lodge in the serous membrane that lines the inside of the heart- endocarditis (I looked it up). The only way to prevent it is to keep your mouth- gums and teeth in good shape with regular trips to the dentist

Post Reply Post Reply
I am using Biotene gel in my mouth and Ayr in my nose. My compliance and sleep have improved VERY much. Even with humidity I was continually waking up due to dry mouth. I think Biotene Gel is a super product and really works. Wish I had tried it long ago!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh great. I'm gonna die now if I don't get $20 worth of mint candies....

*snerk*....*giggle*.....

Laugh-a-lot

...Ok, I'll try some. I have the dry mouth disease too, even with the humidifier on max.

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2013, 10:50 PM)JJJ Wrote:
Amazon Wrote:... Xylitol suppresses harmful bacteria that cause plaque, bad breath, tooth decay, gum disease, and heart disease ...

You might debate "caused" vs. "aggravated," but the docs seem to think bacteria in the mouth is bad for your heart.

There are lots of "experts" claiming that flossing adds 6 years to your life. I suspect media hype about some study that wasn't really that definitive, but there is probably some truth to it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2013, 11:19 PM)archangle Wrote:
(02-05-2013, 10:50 PM)JJJ Wrote:

You might debate "caused" vs. "aggravated," but the docs seem to think bacteria in the mouth is bad for your heart.

There are lots of "experts" claiming that flossing adds 6 years to your life. I suspect media hype about some study that wasn't really that definitive, but there is probably some truth to it.
Myth that gum disease causes heart attacks debunked

The popular belief that gum disease can lead to heart attacks and strokes is a myth, experts say.
Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/health...unked.html

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2013, 11:41 PM)zonk Wrote: Myth that gum disease causes heart attacks debunked

The popular belief that gum disease can lead to heart attacks and strokes is a myth, experts say.
Read more: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/health...unked.html

I was a bit skeptical. However, one article/expert saying "no" isn't necessarily any more correct than the articles saying "yes."

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Heart disease is not the same thing as a heart attack. There is a big difference when the lining of the heart muscles the endocardium, becomes infected and an actual myocardial infarction. I think we would all agree that it is far nicer to kiss or sleep with someone with nice pink gums and no visible plaque or gunk on their teeth than someone with dirty teeth and bad breath. Above all else I strive to be kissable!

"Unlike other sweeteners, xylitol is actively beneficial for dental health, reducing caries to a third in regular use, and has been shown to reduce the incidence of acute otitis media." From Wickipedia- xylitol will actually help remineralize teeth and reduce ear aches.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 37 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 380 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 808 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,166 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.