Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New s9 Autoset user
New s9 Autoset user
Hello to everyone
I am a new user of s9 autoset with h5i My old machine is resmed s9 elite.
New machine is great but feels like i am not getting inhalf air during the apnea.
Last night i changed to old machine
What happens is (i think)when i stop breathing new autoset needs some time to detects my breathing and gives air for me to start breathing again but this little time wakes me up and this does not help i wake up tired.
Do u think if i change some settings will make differance or i go back to faithfull old s9 elite
Thanks in advance
Whomever helps
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New s9 Autoset user
(09-26-2014, 06:29 AM)orkunbey Wrote: Hello to everyone
I am a new user of s9 autoset with h5i My old machine is resmed s9 elite.
New machine is great but feels like i am not getting inhalf air during the apnea.
Last night i changed to old machine
What happens is (i think)when i stop breathing new autoset needs some time to detects my breathing and gives air for me to start breathing again but this little time wakes me up and this does not help i wake up tired.
Do u think if i change some settings will make differance or i go back to faithfull old s9 elite
Thanks in advance
Whomever helps

Changing your pressure may help. But first you need to know what you are doing. What pressure is your Elite set at? Is the AutoSet in CPAP or APAP mode? What pressure or what range of pressures is the AutoSet set at?

Next get some software and look at what has been happening. SleepyHead and ResScan. There are some great folks here that can help you understand what the data shows you.

Once you understand where you are THEN you will be in a position to decide what you need to do to make your new machine more effective for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, put in all of your settings and start checking with SleepyHead and/or Resmed software (I use both since each excels at showing SOME key elements.)

A wild guess -- EPR.

You MIGHT try cutting it down or increasing it depending on what the current setting is. Most likely it is at 3 as an initial setting so that might involve reducing it.

Many of us turn EPR off fairly quickly.

Are you using ramp? Many of us also just disable ramp.

This doesn't mean these are YOUR problems but really are just mildly wild guesses.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
hi orkunbey,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What everyone has said so far.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy and get your new machine set up.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 07:29 AM)SleepyDreamCatcher Wrote: Changing your pressure may help. But first you need to know what you are doing. What pressure is your Elite set at? Is the AutoSet in CPAP or APAP mode? What pressure or what range of pressures is the AutoSet set at?
Next get some software and look at what has been happening. SleepyHead and ResScan. There are some great folks here that can help you understand what the data shows you.
Once you understand where you are THEN you will be in a position to decide what you need to do to make your new machine more effective for you.
SleepyDreamCatcher is giving you excellent advice. We shouldn't attempt setting changes unless we know what our setting are and what results we are getting. If you are unable to make these determinations alone, perhaps you should contact the sleep doctor/clinic that provided your prescription. Please try to give the forum more complete information so folks can share their experiences with you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Then again, in the name of "patient empowerment," if you find out your Doc/DME took the easy way out and simply sent you home with a machine set at it's factory defaults, your minimum pressure is 4 and your maximum is 20. Do you plan on making a blackbird pie anytime soon? If not, that 4 could well be the source of your difficulty.

I like a range and I very much like the S9. But I think it should be a fairly tight range. For instance, if your old machine was set on 10, I would like a range of perhaps 6 to 14 to begin with. Other defaults on the S9 include setting the ramp to 45 minutes, when the best setting for it is "off."

Download and install Sleepyhead so you can start monitoring this stuff too.

But first, find out if your low pressure is set at 4 and if so have it raised or raise it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2014, 11:31 AM)retired_guy Wrote: ...Other defaults on the S9 include setting the ramp to 45 minutes, when the best setting for it if "off".

RG I have to disagree with that statement, which I think is bad advice for people new to CPAP. The ramp setting is there for a reason - to allow you time to get to sleep while the machine gradually builds up to its operating pressure. That time will vary widely, depending on a whole range of factors, including what the working pressure is, how quickly you get to sleep and how well adjusted you are to CPAP. You may find that you don't need the ramp. I need about ten minutes. Other may need longer periods. Some find that the starting pressure of 4 is too low and have to turn it off, but I don't have any problems starting at 4.

Each person is an individual; we're not all the same. We all have different situations and need different settings of pressure, humidity and ramp time. There is no "best" setting for any of these things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, you're right Paul. I just function from when I first started and had to gut through however long it took for the machine to "ramp" to a decent pressure. The other issue I have with it is when they leave it on the 45 minute default, that's 45 minutes before any apnea treatments will begin. Maybe it takes a lot of people 45 minutes to fall asleep, but I doubt that too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2014, 11:31 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Other defaults on the S9 include setting the ramp to 45 minutes, when the best setting for it is "off."

I don't use the ramp feature because I like to adjust the mask on my face with at least minimum pressure before I fall asleep. I wiggle the mask around, allowing the cushions to inflate, while centering the harness and checking it for lightest tension that will stop leaks. Then ZZZ. But that's just me.

Post Reply Post Reply
You need to check your machine settings.

When you feel air starved, look at the display on your machine. You may need to turn the humidifier knob a little to make the light come on.

In tiny little text at the bottom, it should show you the pressure.

It's probably low. You should probably turn off the ramp function, if you're using it. It's also possible your machine is set at auto 4-20, which tends to leave you air starved until it autos up to a workable pressure. Most of us are more comfortable if the minimum auto pressure is close to the therapeutic pressure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 46 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 106 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  New Resmed Autoset 10 User - OSCAR & Settings Can80an 3 666 02-08-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Melman
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,385 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,861 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 755 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,237 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.