Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Leak
Mask Leak
I have Airfit10 mask with ResMed One machine. In-home sleep study recommends pressure of 4-20. When the machine cranks up to max pressure it is almost impossible to keep the mask sealed. The air will leak out from the contact area of the mask with the cheek. When this occurs most times I wake up and make the straps so tight to compensate that my head feels like a grape being squeezed between two fingers. I do have an appointment soon with a doctor but was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to improve this situation with the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Leak
G'day Gimpy, welcome to Apnea Board.

Mask leaks are a real problem and you'll find lots of discussions about it. You might like to look through this thread. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Regardless of the pressure you shouldn't tighten the mask so tight that it causes discomfort. If nothing else it will prevent you getting a good sleep, which is obviously counter productive.
Post Reply Post Reply
finding the right mask for you is the hardest hurdle to overcome for most of us. you could have the perfect mask for you and not even know it, if it's not properly adjusted.

i struggled for months with a mask that was perfect at times and leaked excessively at other times for (at the time) no apparent reason.

then i found this thread...
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED
Post Reply Post Reply
Gimpy, please fill out your profile with machine name, type and what mask you are using.

Masks are one of harder things to get right. I do know that pulling the straps too tight is counterproductive. The straps should not be too tight or too loose.

You will get more responses if you could let us know mask type.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gimpy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which machine do you have?
The mask is the hardest paart of this therapy so don’t be shy about trying as many of them as you need, ‘till you find the right one that works for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your question.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 07:54 AM)Gimpy Wrote: I have Airfit10 mask with ResMed One machine. In-home sleep study recommends pressure of 4-20. When the machine cranks up to max pressure it is almost impossible to keep the mask sealed. The air will leak out from the contact area of the mask with the cheek. When this occurs most times I wake up and make the straps so tight....

Gimpy,

You describe my first weeks of PAPing. Nightmare. The post at the link DeepBreathing and Rob S gave you and one other key takeaway from the Forum solved most of my leak problem as a user of the same mask.

My Rx started at 7 cmH2O, fixed (CPAP), which caused an uptrend in my AHI. Then my DME got my MD to switch me to 5-20 cmH2O, variable (APAP?). Horrible results. But I saw advisors on the Forum recommending raising the lower number. (In my way of thinking, the idea was to give the machine a head start when a block was encountered).

I raised the lower (5 cm) number to 7.8 cm for a dramatic improvement that helped the machine handle its load without hitting the 20 cm pressure. Currently--now a 100 days into PAPing-- it handles my obstructions about 95% of the time near 10 cm and a maximum of 12 cm. As you note, its hard to seal at 20 cm.

I rejected that F10 mask at first and got the DME to issue the Amara View. Same early problems. Then came the F&P Forma. Worse yet. Then, here, I found that linked post and the trick in raising the lower pressure.

Now I alternate weeks between the F10 and the AV and, after abandoning the recliner to get to sleep in bed on my side again (at cost of back pain), I am mostly below an AHI of 1.0, down from about 50. Leaks still occur but are now manageable at lowered maximum pressure the machine automatically sets as needed. Often the AHI recorded is just those at start up or near shut down; sleeping AHI is often zero these past 2-3 weeks.

As others said, the F10 may be wrong for you, even if great for me now. Further, you might ask their advice regarding whether and how to change prescribed pressures. Also, I don't know the ResMed One, whether it gathers data accessible to you...for use in Sleepyhead software. I failed to mention how much help SH has been--a fantastically good and necessary tool.

If you follow those mask fitting directions you will soon feel the amount of discomfort, if any, that the mask gives at the point where leaks stop. If you cannot find a tolerable "sweet spot" where leaks stop, then you have to try some other mask or accessory.

Good luck!

I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
First thing is to get your pressures right.
4 to 20 isnt a "recommendation. Its a heres a machine thats set wide open now go home pay the bill and be happy blow off from your Doc.
Get sleepyhead, work your min pressure up where it needs to be and likely youll never see a max pressure of 20 again.
Unless you need a bipap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 342 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 415 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,476 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 210 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 799 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.