Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New sleep study results - Central Apnea
New sleep study results - Central Apnea
Hi all - I got my at home sleep study results back and would love recommendations/insight...

AHI - 9.1 (Obstructive 1.2, Central 5.2)
ODI - 7.5 
151 snores
10.5 avg breaths/minute
90% lowest oxygen saturation with avg at 95%
Avg. 40 pulse, min 40, max 78

I'm a 27 year old male but have had bruxism for many years and a history of fatigue as well as TMJ/fibromyglia ever since I developed an open bite at the age of 19. I also have had two serious cases of pneumonia in the past 9 years.

I saw an ENT doctor over the summer and found out that have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates. 

The sleep physician who ordered the test doesn't want to start any treatment until I get a lab study to confirm the results but at the earliest that will be November 15th (assuming insurance gives the authorization). 

Anyone have similar results? What worked and what didn't?

Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New sleep study results - Central Apnea
Some one with better knowledge of this will come along, but I will say that your saturation isn't that bad.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like you to post a copy of your Sleep Study.

You said "AHI - 9.1 (Obstructive 1.2, Central 5.2)"
The numbers here definitely do not add up and they should.

You have Central Apnea apparently as the major portion of your Apnea, though at a fairly low level.  This level will typically make it hard to get an ASV machine.  Insurance wants to give you the cheapest solution and an ASV is among the more expensive.

There is not enough info to advise you in more than a general way.  

First Read the content of the links in my signature.
Your next Sleep Study is an opportunity to try several different masks on.  Make sure you try several, you will not get many opportunities to try masks on, push and try several.

The Mask Primer will help with a strategy to try masks.  Masks are very individual and MUST be tried on.

Also a lot of guidance in what you are about to go through is in the links.

Please ask any questions that come up.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think any home study like this that shows a higher incidence of central apnea needs follow-up investigation. The home sleep studies are notorious for under-estimating events, and when they show centrals, there is no way a CPAP should be prescribed. Getting a full PSG will confirm or reverse this finding, and a more appropriate recommendation can be made. The HST did its job of identifying a potential problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2017, 04:43 PM)bonjour Wrote: I would like you to post a copy of your Sleep Study.

You said "AHI - 9.1 (Obstructive 1.2, Central 5.2)"
The numbers here definitely do not add up and they should.

You have Central Apnea apparently as the major portion of your Apnea, though at a fairly low level.  This level will typically make it hard to get an ASV machine.  Insurance wants to give you the cheapest solution and an ASV is among the more expensive.

There is not enough info to advise you in more than a general way.  

First Read the content of the links in my signature.
Your next Sleep Study is an opportunity to try several different masks on.  Make sure you try several, you will not get many opportunities to try masks on, push and try several.

The Mask Primer will help with a strategy to try masks.  Masks are very individual and MUST be tried on.

Also a lot of guidance in what you are about to go through is in the links.

Please ask any questions that come up.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
personally, with a min desaturation of 90%, it is in the normal range. Is the ins. going to approve a sleep study?
I think any xpap would be optional, depending if it can directly help your bruxism and TMJ. some find an xpap does help bruxism. but it's normally a byproduct of treatment, rather than the goal.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 45 10 hours ago
Last Post: nikkib9899
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 49 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 155 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,478 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.