Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask
RE: Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask
(03-29-2019, 03:11 PM)shuggeman Wrote: I'm new to this forum, it looks great. Been on a BiPAP machine for about 7 months now, and have been unable to use a nasal mask for much of that time because my mouth opens and I breathe through my mouth for the rest of the night. Additionally, because of the high pressure of the BiPAP machine, with a full face Dreamwear mask my mouth gets blown open and I end up mouthbreathing also.

I’ve been experimenting with mouth taping, and it seems to be working as most days I’m able to sleep through the night without drymouth. I’m unable to use the pre-cut mouth tape that has a hole in the middle for a small amount of air to get through and have ended up using 1/2" tan micropore medical tape. It’s less than $5 per roll, and comes off the lips fairly easily, leaving only a small amount of adhesive and irritation in the morning. I know this sounds absolutely crazy, but I’m able to sleep through the night using this method, and the benefits of nose breathing are incredible. I feel better all day.

My concern is that my technician told me BiPAP users should not mouth tape because the pressure is too much for one's nostrils to handle. Has anyone had experience with this? Any problems/solutions?
My doc recently looked at me as if I was crazy too about tape on the lips. 

Being too much for one's nostrils to handle doesn't seem to me like that's completely true. There are members here that don't have issues with leakage through their mouth. Where does that air come in from and go to then if it's indeed too much for the nostrils to handle?
I've seen it recommended though that you put a small slit in the tape in case you get congested while you sleep. But also I think I remember seeing a post about how if you have auto off is a bad setting to have(has shut off on people without intent), but that setting along with a taped mouth with no slit might be a dangerous combination.
Hopefully more will chime in.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had used a full face mask for several years with good success and then I started developing pain on the bridge of my nose and marks and rashes on my face.
These problems led me to try a Dreamwear nasal cushion mask, but I am a mouth breather and the results initially were not very good.  I found this tape called
Snorless online at the largest online retailer in the world (hint: it shares the name of a large river in South America).  The strips work well, my numbers improved
to ridiculously good and I feel much, much better.  The only negative is that the strips leave this annoying residue when you take them off, but this is easily removed
with a warm wash cloth.  I hope this is helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2019, 07:03 AM)capsnut Wrote: I had used a full face mask for several years with good success and then I started developing pain on the bridge of my nose and marks and rashes on my face.
These problems led me to try a Dreamwear nasal cushion mask, but I am a mouth breather and the results initially were not very good.  I found this tape called
Snorless online at the largest online retailer in the world (hint: it shares the name of a large river in South America).  The strips work well, my numbers improved
to ridiculously good and I feel much, much better.  The only negative is that the strips leave this annoying residue when you take them off, but this is easily removed
with a warm wash cloth.  I hope this is helpful.

I've been using the 3M Micropore Tape with Dispenser
from that same site. I have tried 4 different tapes. That one is the only one I can use with full facial hair. It does not stick to my mustache or beard, just my lips. Excellent stuff for me anyways. And without any residue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Would this tape be the same as 3M Nexcare 24mm (width) micropore tape?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the tip on the 3M Micropore Tape, I purchased some and tried it for the first time last night.  I have relatively high pressure (15) on my machine and I found that air was coming through the tape in the middle of the night which was disturbing to me.  Oddly enough I slept fine for almost 5 hours prior to that (not noticing the leak?) and my new Airsense 10 (have been using it for less than a week at this point) told me that my mask fit was good (smiley face icon) for the first time and it recorded 0 AHI.  It seemed really peculiar to me.
I'm using a Dreamwear nasal cushion mask which I'm finding works well for me.  I couldn't use this mask without tape because of the dramatic increase in my AHI previously.  I do like that the 3M tape doesn't leave an annoying residue though.  I think I'm going to have to continue this experiment for a bit longer, it doesn't make sense to jump to conclusions after only one night.  I really don't see myself going back to a full face mask or the F20 because both inflame the skin on either side of my nose.  I really believe the trick is to find the right mask and then find the right adjustment that doesn't make it too tight or too loose which is comfortable and doesn't result in increased AHI.  My natural instinct when I'm experiencing leaks is to tighten the mask up, but I'm finding that this is not always the right choice.  I'm going to continue my search for the happy medium knowing that once I hit it, I'll be fine as I was
before changing machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2019, 01:40 AM)ramphil2019 Wrote: Would this tape be the same as 3M Nexcare 24mm (width) micropore tape?

2" width

3m Micropore Surgical Tape 2" x 10 Yards with Dispenser (Pack of 2)
Post Reply Post Reply
What I got is Commercial URL removed. 3M-Micropore 10 Tape with Dispenser, purchased at Amazon.

I tried it again last night being very careful to be sure that I used a strip long
enough to cover my entire mouth and it worked great.  Best night I've had so far.  I'm happy with the results I got last night.
Good luck.  Thanks for the great tip !

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2019, 10:40 AM)Feedsack Wrote: I am not good at reading charts yet but I am trying. I have found that  I like the dreamware nasal gel masks a lot. I tried their full face but am a side sleeper at times . I tried their nasal pillow mask as well. i keep going to the nasal pillows.

I'm a dedicated side sleeper. I simply cannot sleep on my back or stomach. I've had no issues at all with the ResMed AirFit F20 and F30 FFM.

For me, going to the F30 was an improvement in regards to less air leaks and far less skin contact irritations.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2019, 08:47 PM)SleepFoo Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:40 AM)ramphil2019 Wrote: Would this tape be the same as 3M Nexcare 24mm (width) micropore tape?

2" width

3m Micropore Surgical Tape 2" x 10 Yards with Dispenser (Pack of 2)

Thanks, I think I got it. For now, I had to set it aside since my wife does not agree with taping my mouth, haha.
[Image: 46637880995_a460ca7688.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate your tips on the tape and your thoughts on the F30. I have not given up on my F20 but in the meantime I am trying out other options.

I really like the DW format. I think it's brilliant! So despite little success with the DW nasal mask, I ordered the DW FFM since they share the same frame and elbow. After using it 4 days in a row, I can confidently say that I love it! Comfort and fit were good. It's also compatible with the Resmed heated tubing. 

I attached two latest nights of SH profile using the DW FFM. I slept almost continuously without the interruption of too much air leaks waking me up. I know movements while asleep has a lot to do with mask air leaks, but I'm still happy with what I experienced with the DW FFM. I'll try more nights and if it's still consistent, this may become my main cpap mask. 

[Image: 46637949665_244728b1b6_z.jpg]

April 5, 2019
[Image: 46637833345_2fce36854f_z.jpg]

April 6, 2019
[Image: 46637833305_46484a5eed_z.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 84 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,895 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,562 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 102 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.