Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to APAP Dreamstaion - Resmed F20 Mask
RE: New to APAP Dreamstaion - Resmed F20 Mask
So looks like you guys were right!  Thanks

I had a low AHI, no mask removal episodes, only thing is the amount of times I woke up. Pressure at 9 seemed a little high, exhaling was slightly difficult. It was as if the machine couldn't find the rhythm so I lowered it to 8.5 just before going to sleep. Attaching charts, 2 of the larger leaks were from me having a itch directly where the mask was, so I had to break the seal to get to it. These are known times when I had woken up.

I ordered the heated tube last night as well. Though I did not experience the cold mouth area as I had been the last week or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the graphs, the times where I had to lift the the edge of the mask to scratch, these did not even registar. The leaks were 30+ minutes at a time, has to be from side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Philips Large leak is different to Resmed in that the machine reports total leak and not Unintentional leak you leaks may not be a big issue. Can you check in Sleepyhead File=> Preferences => CPAP => Flagg Leaks over threshold. You may be better pushing that value up to 70 as a conservative figure rather than the Sleepyhead default of 24.0 L/min
Post Reply Post Reply
Those charts look much improved. My suggestion would be to leave the minimum at 8.5 for at least 3 nights to see if it is correct. Based on this one chart it might be a bit high, and on an earlier one a bit low. So leave it where it is until you collect a few more samples. The 14 max is not hurting anything, and again after a few nights you may be able to lower it to 13 or even 12. 

There is still something weird about the start pressures. It looks like you have a ramp set from 6 cm to the 8.5 minimum over about 10 minutes. That is good. What is strange is that it looks like pressure spikes up to 8.5 cm for a few seconds right at the beginning. Perhaps it is just a Dreamstation quirk. I would just check your settings to be sure they are OK. It seems to behave like it wants to go directly to 8.5 cm, and then the ramp says, "no you don't" and brings it back to 6.

Now you just need to solve your mask leak problems and all will be good!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed ever since installing Sleepyhead the program tells me I have leak issues. These are reported even when the machine tells me I have 0% leaks.

The machine does start directly at 8.5, I have to press a Ramp button to get it to drop to 6. I will look at settings again, I think it was named "Smart Ramp" and set it for 6 instead. I hope last night wasn't a fluke, as I feel a lot less tired so far this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
jaswilliams mentioned the large leak rates on dreamstations being different and he's right. The Dreamstations go by total leaks. If you look at your mask manual you'll see a graph for vent rates at different pressures. The ballpark figure for your mask vent rate is around 30 l/min. So with a leak rate of zero your total leak rate would be 30. Now the Dreamstations usually don't show a large leak until you get above 70 l/min. So what you can do is go into sleepyhead file-preferences-CPAP. On the upper right side there is a Flag leaks over threshold setting. If you change that from 24 l/min to 40 l/min that should give you a pretty close redline for the actual Dreamstation large leak point.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2018, 09:27 AM)sickntired Wrote: The machine does start directly at 8.5, I have to press a Ramp button to get it to drop to 6. I will look at settings again, I think it was named "Smart Ramp" and set it for 6 instead. I hope last night wasn't a fluke, as I feel a lot less tired so far this morning.

See bottom of page 4-22 and top of page 4-23. Set the ramp time first to 10 minutes or whatever you like. It should have a ramp, triangle icon, with an arrow along the bottom. Next set the Ramp Start to 6 cm. It is the ramp icon again but with an arrow pointed down to the start of the ramp. There is a Smart Ramp, but I would leave that turned off. Perhaps do that first, so you can set the ramp time and ramp start manually.
Post Reply Post Reply
Better yet don't use the ramp.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2018, 06:17 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Better yet don't use the ramp.

We all have our opinion, and mine is that it is much more comfortable with the ramp. Can't think of a reason not to use it, if it is well set up.
Post Reply Post Reply
So back home from work, I have changed the leak setting in SleepyHead and I went from major leaks to no leaks reported. I was also playing with the ramp setting. It seems I must hit the ramp button in order to start the ramp on the machine. This is because the machine is set to "auto" if the machine is set as "CPAP" then I can set ramp to start on it own. At least that is how I understood the manual, and how the machine is acting with the settings. I dont mind hitting the ramp button for now. If the machine is set as CPAP instead of AUTO would it function the same?

edit...I do like the ramp feature myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,992 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,227 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 155 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 227 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.