Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to APAP & Need Advice
RE: New to APAP & Need Advice
(09-24-2022, 11:09 AM)Dormeo Wrote: I'm sorry I missed the post just before this last one.  I'm glad the conversation with the pulmonologist went well.  I imagine he's figuring that with less pressure and less EPR you might see a reduction in CAs without too big a risk of a lot of OAs.  It's an experiment worth trying if and when you feel like it. If you want to stick with your current settings for now, though, I think that's fine too.

Did the doctor speculate about why you mostly see the CAs later in the night?

I didn't specifically ask if he had any idea as to why the CA's were happening later in the night.  I should have but tend to forget to ask the right questions in the less than 5 minute time that he spoke with me.  I may send him a message about it.

In one of your prior posts, you suggested eliminating the EPR altogether and see if that helps with the CA's.  What's the theory behind this?
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump to see if anyone has any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart CAs and your question, "In one of your prior posts, you suggested eliminating the EPR altogether and see if that helps with the CA's.  What's the theory behind this?", are both related to CO2 washout.  

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  Just searched the Wiki for C02 washout and found very little.  What changes to my settings do you suggest?  I could reduce the EPR to make it more difficult to exhale and therefore retain more C02 which will drive me to breathe.  Maybe take a small step and reduce the EPR to 1 so I end up with pressure support of 1?  My doctor also said that I could try min=max=5cm and leave EPR where it is so I get the same pressure support of 1?  I really don't know which approach to take?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart looks as if you were hyperventilating. EPR doesn't enter as a consideration during those events. Leaving your machine set to Auto and setting the min to equal your max will provide you with a static pressure (like CPAP mode) and also still report your flow limitations, which the CPAP mode does not.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can't hurt yourself by reducing or eliminating EPR. You could just see how comfortable or uncomfortable you felt. CAs are highly variable (consistently inconsistent, as some people put it), so you might want to take plenty of time to see what happens with each experiment.
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP4ME,

I just saw you thread and read it.

About the CA bunched together, maybe it is a positional thing, bending your neck rolling in your back, semi awake state.

I agree, EPR turned of and 6 to 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I haven't made any settings changes yet and last night was even worse. See the attached OSCAR data. I'm going to try some sort of change tonight.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Three nights ago, I reduced the EPR from 3 to 1 while leaving Max=Min=6 unchanged. I have attached OSCAR screenshots from these nights and still see a lot of CA events. These CA clusters seem to be happening as I'm waking up. Should I give it more time at these settings or shut off EPR entirely? Any ideas as to why I'm seeing these clusters of CA's? If it wasn't for the CA's, my AHI would be very good.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, things seem to be getting somewhat better. CAs will often sort themselves out. But why don't you experiment with turning EPR off and see what happens? There's no harm, and there might be a benefit. Whenever you get stabilized, you can try re-introducing EPR gradually.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 110 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 24 1,048 04-22-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 198 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,299 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 190 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 150 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,610 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.