Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to APAP & Need Advice
RE: New to APAP & Need Advice
The attached OSCAR report from last night is pretty bad. Any suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm reloading my OSCAR data from this morning and also added in the O2Ring data. Hoping that someone can take a look at last night and provide some insight into why I'm having so many CA events. If it wasn't for the CA's, my AHI would be pretty good.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, I'm sorry to see this. CAs are variable, and I had hoped you were done with these big clusters toward the end of the night. I recommend eliminating EPR and sticking with min = max = 6. Let's see how that goes.

I remain hopeful that your body will adjust and the CAs will settle down. If they don't, there are other options to consider, but one step at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.  I'm going to give it another night at the existing settings and report back tomorrow.  Hopefully tonight is better.  I have a follow-up in November with the pulmonologist who ordered the APAP and I'm expecting to get yelled at for taking it upon myself to change the settings.  From strictly a compliance and AHI standpoint, I probably did better on his original settings but I find it is more comfortable at max=min=6.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't explain how my numbers were so good last night but terrible the prior night. I hope this continues.

Post Reply Post Reply
You have good days and bad days in life. Apnea therapy follows the same rule. Enjoy the good days, forget the bad!

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So glad to see such a good night! I'm hoping those clusters of CAs will soon be a thing of the past. Keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night was not as good as the prior (exceptional) night but I'll take it. I have attached the OSCAR report and you can see that the CA's are back. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

I didn't realize that my first follow-up appointment with the pulmonologist who ordered the APAP is next week. I'm expecting a pretty unpleasant conversation when he realizes that I've changed the settings on my own. How did you handle it?

Post Reply Post Reply
It's been a while since my last post and want to provide an update. This week, I met with the pulmonologist who is in charge of my CPAP therapy. Overall, he was impressed with my 100% compliance and therapy results. I discussed the aerophagia and the bouts of CA events that I have been experiencing. I expected to get lectured about changing the settings myself but he was OK with it. He was good with my current settings of max=min=6cm with EPR of 3 which essentially provides a pressure support of 2 (working as a 6 to 4). He said that I could try max=min=5cm with a pressure support of 1 and see how that goes. I told him that I'd keep the settings as-is for a while longer and see how it goes.

I have attached an OSCAR screenshot from last night and you will notice that I'm still struggling with the CA's. Most nights (if not every), the higher AHI numbers are driven by the number of CA events.

I'd appreciate any advice to get the CA's under control. Also, what do you think about the doctors suggestion about changing to max=min=5cm with a pressure support of 1?

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry I missed the post just before this last one. I'm glad the conversation with the pulmonologist went well. I imagine he's figuring that with less pressure and less EPR you might see a reduction in CAs without too big a risk of a lot of OAs. It's an experiment worth trying if and when you feel like it. If you want to stick with your current settings for now, though, I think that's fine too.

Did the doctor speculate about why you mostly see the CAs later in the night?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.