Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to ASV-Need help getting more symptom relief
RE: New to ASV-Need help getting more symptom relief
So how do I get rid of all the hyponeas like I did the OA and CAs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jteetie,

I suppose it depends on whether your titration study showed you needed Min EPAP of 12 to eliminate hypopneas.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2019, 08:25 PM)jteetie Wrote: So how do I get rid of all the hyponeas like I did the OA and CAs?

Depends on the nature of the hypopnoea and why it’s being scored. The PS of the ASV will blast through Hypopnoea
Post Reply Post Reply
You might fix the H with more min epap and bring your PS to the Med/median, by the left column. You could try min epap 7 and min PS 4. I'd leave the max set as they are. Then review.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2019, 01:30 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: The PS of the ASV will blast through Hypopnoea

Agreed that PS tends to blast through Central Hypopneas, but in ASV titrations Min EPAP is commonly increased until Obstructive Hypopneas are no longer present.

ASV Titration guides from both ResMed and Philips have said the Min EPAP setting should be increased until obstructive events are no longer present.

ResMed Titration Guide: https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

Philips Titration Guide: https://www.sleepapnea.com/downloads/100...fGuide.pdf

If an ASV titration resulted in a prescribed Min EPAP of 12, the implication is that on the night of the ASV titration Min EPAP of 12 was needed to eliminate these obstructive events.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second this, It is also suggested by resmed titration, that H are treated with epap on an ASV, as opposed to PS with a normal bpap. Where increasing PS is the norm
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the info. Really helpful. But what if the EPAP of 12 is too high for me to actually sleep? That was the reason we lowered it. I couldn't fall asleep at that pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
The main point of therapy is to resolve sleep disordered breathing to an extent that you can sleep with minimal disturbance. Your efficacy is currently acceptable, and the objective of eliminating "all hypopnea" is not as important at this point as achieving good rest. The point of making adjustments in therapy pressure is to trial a setting to determine if it works better from BOTH a therapy and comfort standpoint. It is not unusual to go beyond the optimal pressure, then drop back in response to comfort or therapy findings.

I don't know if you are familiar with auto mechanics, but we often use slip gauges (thin pieces of metal with a known thickness) to measure the gap in spark plugs or valve lifters. We insert increasingly thicker gauges into the gap until we get to the one that won't fit, then the gap is determined to be the last one that fit. This is like pressure titration. We will often keep trying more pressure until we find one that doesn't work as well, and conclude the previous setting was the better option.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this is heresy around these part to suggest this but my sleep doc said something that stuck - use ramp from a comfortable pressure to get you off to sleep and then once asleep it doesn't matter what the pressure is....you're asleep and won't notice it.

If you set the ramp as t+1 where t=how long it takes to fall asleep then you're golden !

Rob
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 160 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Muggzy's Therapy Thread - My quest for relief Muggzy 6 598 01-07-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Muggzy
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,647 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Pressure] relief from high pressure sistrunk 3 385 08-20-2023, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Millstone50
  Desperately seeking relief - Pressure help robporky88 13 1,024 03-12-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  BIPAP vs Expiratory pressure relief KReardon 5 759 12-02-2022, 04:58 PM
Last Post: KReardon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.