Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to ASV, new to SleepyHead
RE: New to ASV, new to SleepyHead
(05-01-2016, 04:05 PM)tmoody Wrote: The other thing I wonder about is how they arrived at a recommended PSmin of 0, when there's no further mention of PS in the entire report.

One of these nights, I'm going to put my machine in CPAP mode at 11 and see what happens. That's the setting I had for nine years, before I had any idea what AHI was. I sometimes wonder if nine years of constant pressure trains the brain so strongly that it can't adjust to anything else.
Hi tmoody,
Your machine handles the higher pressure settings automatically when it provides the "timed breaths". It can go up to the max setting of your machine. The EPAP and PS are for issues that are handled at the lower pressure range of your settings. My machine is set at EPAP 6 with a PS of 2. I don't have the complex apnea issues that you suffer so I don't need to fine tune the lower settings. It seems worth a try to see if an exact setting eg. 7.5 might be helpful. The trouble is that, as others have pointed out, things change from night to night. So you might want to try a range using a minimum of PS to see if that helps your average night.

Regarding your 2nd idea: I did this very thing when I knew I had to return my S9 bipap machine. I did a night each at a different setting starting at straight 5. I got some great data that I was able to show to my new Doc. No question that I needed an ASV machine.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 07:28 AM)richb Wrote: Hi tmoody,
Your machine handles the higher pressure settings automatically when it provides the "timed breaths". It can go up to the max setting of your machine. The EPAP and PS are for issues that are handled at the lower pressure range of your settings. My machine is set at EPAP 6 with a PS of 2. I don't have the complex apnea issues that you suffer so I don't need to fine tune the lower settings. It seems worth a try to see if an exact setting eg. 7.5 might be helpful. The trouble is that, as others have pointed out, things change from night to night. So you might want to try a range using a minimum of PS to see if that helps your average night.

For the past couple of nights, I've been at PSmin=3 and EPAPmin=7.5. AHI 4.7 and 3.5, with a couple of centrals, the rest hypos. This is pretty typical at just about all settings I've tried. Possibly it's as good as it gets. I'll leave it there for the rest of the week before I contemplate any other changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for the hell of it, I made a table of my ASV data, with EPAPmin along the columns and PSmin along the rows.

click

In each cell with multiple entries, I've calculated the average for that combination of EPAP and PS.

Obviously, due to the small sample size, especially in some of the cells, the data don't mean much, but I thought it might be useful to update it from time to time as I experiment with settings. And since I enter the AHIs in calendar order, I can also see whether there's a chronological pattern, such as higher AHI immediately after a change.

But based on the weak data I have, my best combination so far has been EPAPmin=8.5 and PSmin=2.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this sort of thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 12:06 PM)tmoody Wrote: Just for the hell of it, I made a table of my ASV data, with EPAPmin along the columns and PSmin along the rows.

click

In each cell with multiple entries, I've calculated the average for that combination of EPAP and PS.

Obviously, due to the small sample size, especially in some of the cells, the data don't mean much, but I thought it might be useful to update it from time to time as I experiment with settings. And since I enter the AHIs in calendar order, I can also see whether there's a chronological pattern, such as higher AHI immediately after a change.

But based on the weak data I have, my best combination so far has been EPAPmin=8.5 and PSmin=2.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this sort of thing.

All I see is a SH screenshot.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 01:09 PM)richb Wrote: All I see is a SH screenshot.

Rich

Fixed it: click
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 01:12 PM)tmoody Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 01:09 PM)richb Wrote: All I see is a SH screenshot.

Rich

Fixed it: click

I like your spreadsheet. This is a good way to document your own titration. Can you add data and have it recalculate the averages?

Rich

Download Sleepyhead
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2016, 03:24 PM)richb Wrote: I like your spreadsheet. This is a good way to document your own titration. Can you add data and have it recalculate the averages?

Rich

Nah. That can be done with a spreadsheet, I guess, but I just did the table by hand. It is a useful way to eyeball the record though.
Post Reply Post Reply
As another update, I'm currently trying EPAP min 8.5 and PSmin=1. After four nights, this is the best setting so far, as can be seen from the table (link in previous post). It's still not a lot of data, but between this and the combination of EPAP min=8.5 with PSmin=2, I have 12 nights with that EPAP setting, with lower AHI than any other setting I've tried. So I'm getting some degree of confidence that 8.5 is a good EPAP setting. It'll take more experimentation to see what difference changes in PSmin make. But I'll leave it alone for a while before making any more changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes the lower PS works. Everyone presents a puzzle that usually gets sussed out. You've worked hard to get here, so enjoy, and take some time before making more changes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be useful. I don't know if it's been posted here before.
[/quote]
Hi Tmoody!

Thanks!! I found the Carolina Sleep Society document presentation (above)regarding the basics of ASV incredibly helpful! The chart comparing Respironics and ResMed ASVs was truly enlightening.

I've found that the AHI data that I've gotten from "ResMed Air" using the ResMed Aircurve 10 has been inconsistent. With the highest AHI, yet, of 16 on Monday night to an AHI of 3 last night, I have had at least five AHIs above 10 in the last two and half weeks, Do you think it's reasonable to switch from the ResMed Aircurve 10 to the PR System One Bipap Auto SV Advanced? My pulmonologist seems to think so.

Since we have very similar treatment histories, I hope you're sleeping much better these days!

Best,

Jeffo1
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.