Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows - leaks
New to Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows - leaks
Ask for your fitting advice.
Experimenting with P30i (std frame, M pillow) for first time and even using the MaskFit test on machine while it starts out with green within about 7 seconds goes to red and unhappy face.
I know that with the nasal mask I have used quite successfully for a year that gentle contact with nose and above upper lip is best for good seal.

With P30i pillows are pushing on my nostrils with just a bit more pressure than one would use to seal a mailing envelope. At the top of headgear centered on skull contact is there but not firm; without any difficulty I can slip a finger under headgear.

I don't have unusual shaped face or nose nor a very large or very small head (male 5'10" 150#) so don't think anatomical factors are the issue but it is my technique.

I have fit kit and not yet tried S pillows but DME indicated I am clearly M on sizing chart and not near the boundary between sizes.

Thanks for any suggestions of how to experiment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows - leaks
I don't have the P30i, but I have the P10.  And although I am a large on the size chart, I actually use a medium pillow when I use the P10 as the fit felt more comfortable.

I feel like the size chart is for guidance and not an absolute.  Masks are so personal, that you need to do what feels right and doesn't leak.

I also found that a nasal gel like Ayr (saline with aloe) lightly applied to the nose helps with any irritation from the pillows...

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just started using this mask as well. I really like the freedom I get from it. I have found that the tilt of the pillows on the nostrils is important. Likewise, the angle between the top part of the frame (pull it back or forward) and the cheek part of the frame (hold it in place or tug on it a bit) needs to be widened or narrowed to get the fit that is just right.  Then, of course,  tighten the head gear.

The real challenge for me keeping the head gear from riding up. I have found 4 or 5 tips on the boards here. The ones that look to be sure: attach an elastic along the hear gear, attach a string from gear to a collar or something around your neck or invest in the Phillips dreamwear attachment with arms. Haven't tried any of them yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for helpful tips on tweaking mask as while I feel it has promise, I haven't even briefly found the sweet spot for myself to avoid massive leaks.

Especially appreciate the Ayr (saline with aloe), and while I use aloe quite a bit I had known of Ayr and that combo as I've always used it pure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recently switched to the P30i mask as well and love the top hose connection and delivery of air on both sides.  As a side sleeper with one side always compressed there is still full air supply to pillows.  Initially I started with the Large Pillows and now trying Medium (last three days).

The leak rate is total leaks and if your like me and open your mouth after going to sleep you can't tell where the leaks are coming from.  Now I tape my mouth using  3M Nextcare tape so I can see the mask leaks.  In my case their from the right pillow getting dislodged slightly as I only sleep on my right side.  Its a difficult balance to tighten the mask straps just right. Too tight and your nostrils wont like it!

I think that the headgear needs some changes to make this mask more stable (at least for side sleepers).

Good luck finding a solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with above. The nurse suggested me to use S for the P30i, but I found M works better. Also do not make it too tight. I got a couple of pimples around my nose due to the tight fit...
Post Reply Post Reply
Again thanks for all of the helpful comments. @Roy I am side sleeper as well and haven't even begun to experiment with that position as I can't even get leaks under control trying things on my back. I also mouth tape with same brand of tape. While I might experiment with loosening tension on mask but is already fairly loose, and try the small pillows, my sense is that this mask might for me have a small range of tension and positioning that could lead to frustration (and already has). Since my current nasal mask has become a very good tool there probably wouldn't be that much advantage (if any) for me with P30i, and I find the air delivery via pillows to be a bit claustrophobic. Glad that is a mask that is really working for some of you as is true in many vendor reviews and on the forum review area.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you’ve tried all of the sizes and they aren’t sealing with your nostrils, you can try the nasal cushion.  The N30i is interchangeable. Maybe that would work? As a side sleeper, lanky lefty reports that the pillows are better. Yet a blog post at CPAP reports the N30i is best for side sleepers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I followed advice from posts here. I bought the Respironics rear strap that drops lower on the back of my head. It fits perfectly in my ResMed P30i and N 30i masks.

It helps me alot. mask is more stable on me; less leaks.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I am a side sleeper too, and find it helps if I put my head on the "end" oft he bel pillow, such that my head is on the pillow but my nose is off the end. In my case, that means the CPAP pillow is not pushed by the bed pillow - so fewer leaks. You may want to try this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 48 3,075 1 hour ago
Last Post: Domino96
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 282 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,764 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,564 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 137 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 160 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.