Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Apnea / CPAP - Avoid DME and Go Straight to Online Purchase?
RE: New to Apnea / CPAP - Avoid DME and Go Straight to Online Purchase?
A couple things,  THIS is your thread, post a redacted copy of your sleep study.  That way we will see the details and I can almost guarantee we will see more than just OSA, we will help you to understand it.
Download SleepyHead v 1.1.0 from the top of the page.  This is what we need to work the magic.  You will also need an SD card 2  - 32GB (Cheap is fine) to transfer data from your machine to your computer so if your computer does not have a SD Card reader you will need to get one (under $10) (plugs into USB)

Post charts (see my signature) and Organize them because there are far more of them than we will initially need.

And Mask, if you don't have a good mask that properly fits you get the ResMed P10 Nasal Pillows FIT KIT mask.  That contains small, medium, and large pillows, start with the large.

Read the links in my signature that contain a lot of good info, especially for a beginner.

And most importantly, ask questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2019, 04:43 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote: IMO there's no reason at all to use the DME, especially if it requires long travel times.  You can get very good help here on AB from the chart-interpreting experts, after using your machine for a little while with an SD card in it to collect data for the ... OSCAR! software.  Or the Sleepyhead software for a few more weeks, anyway.

at a way Fats Dancing Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops, I forgot to say: Also known as TAFKASH.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
Yes, that's what I'm sensing here as well. As long as I go for a Dreamstation or ResMed I'm better off just working with that machine and learning it rather than going back and forth with DME and whatever pricing/leasing options they might have. I'm leaning toward just getting one of those machine bundles online with a reliable site in Canada and cancelling appointment with DME. Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you by chance in Ontario?

The Ontario Health System lists the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her (incorrectly) as a CPAP making the cost significantly less than the Autoset (no for Her) which is listed as an APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great. Okay, that's what I'm reading when I read between the lines here on the forum. Educating oneself here and purchasing online is as reliable (or more possibly) a process as going through the DME trial/buying process. Especially since I'm not tied to insurance and can write off the costs through my business. Thank you. Now back to the ResMed vs. Dreamstation research. Hard to know which one to go with. They both seem solid and the headgear for the Philips gear just looks like it would work better for me and my sleep style. Thank you again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2019, 05:04 PM)dreamstream Wrote: Now back to the ResMed vs. Dreamstation research. Hard to know which one to go with.

Ha! If you only knew ... Smile

(no offense intended at all, by the way)

Have you read the two posts by Sleeprider that I pointed to in an earlier reply? One reason (in two parts) to buy an Air10 instead of a Dreamstation. For real ... serious.biz, bro. Read 'em. Then you'll know.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid281361

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid273655

(Hint: It's not about which machine can also be a bedside clock.)
Post Reply Post Reply
In British Columbia, Canada and nothing is covered under our provincial health care program outside of the sleep study and diagnosis itself. Which is unreal to me. You can get diagnosed but you're 100% on your own for treatment for a condition that is basically almost for me debilitating since I don't/can't drink coffee or other stimulants to offset the fatigue symptoms even a little.

Reading ResMed posts now. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2019, 05:04 PM)dreamstream Wrote: They both seem solid and the headgear for the Philips gear just looks like it would work better for me and my sleep style. Thank you again.

You can use Philips masks with Resmed machines so don't let the headgear influence your choice of machines.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know if I understand right, your concern is with the headgear. Headgear & mask will fit either Resmed or Dreamstation machines the tubing being standard for all machines except for some mini traveling machines.  

Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,527 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleep Apnea, CPAP, and rough early mornings middleraven 4 387 02-02-2024, 03:59 PM
Last Post: middleraven
  Sleep apnea monitors without cPAP LVH115 14 958 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 581 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  A slightly different way to avoid chin tucking Deborah K. 4 998 12-12-2023, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.