Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Apnea but need guidance
New to Apnea but need guidance
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this sort of thing has been asked before, but it's all new to me, so here goes....I'll try to keep it as concise as possible!

Sleep study Results:

AHI of 15 (right on cusp of light to moderate).  Dr said most likely moderate since the at home machines are less accurate.
Mean O2 sat. = 93%
Lowest O2 sat. = 80%
O2 sat. was <90% for 4 minutes.
I sleep on my back (supine position) for only 5% of the time.
20% of the events are obstructive apneas.
80% of the events are hypopneas.
I snore.

Prescription:

Auto CPAP with humidifier and heated tubing.
Pressure settings of 5cm to 15 cm H2O

First things first, I'm in Canada, went to a private clinic for the test.  Saw the Dr (who is not a private Dr. but visits the private clinics) who explained everything.
The clinic gave me a quote for a machine+mask ($2075).  I left without being given my prescription, did some research, found the machine+mask+heated tubing+regular tubing+filter+wipes for a grand total of $949.  I had to argue to get my prescription from the clinic.  Eventually got the prescription and bough the machine online.

Treatment/Results:

I've used the machine now for 5 nights so far.
During those 5 nights, my AHIs so far are 6.7, 5.2, 4.5, 4.9, 7.3
AFlex is on (I think the setting is 3)
90% Pressure for the 5 days = 9.7, 8.6, 9.6, 8.6, 9.3 (average = 9.2)
Hours of usage = 9:04, 7:07, 7:36, 6:13, 7:34
Mask fit: 100% 

Last night my AHI was worse than the 4 previous nights at 7.3.  It was also the night that my nose kept itching and every time I went to scratch it I broke the seal which caused the machine to blow like a bloody hurricane in my face and had a hard time re-sealing.  So my sleep was pretty broken last night.

Questions/Thoughts:

I installed Sleepyhead on my PC but it's almost too much info!  I'm not sure what I'm looking at really (and I am an analytical chemist, so I'm accustomed to data!).  Since I bought the machine online instead of going through the private clinic, I don't have a Dr for followup yet.  I'm on a waiting list at the hospital for followup care (this could take 1 to 3 months), so in the meantime, I'm on my own for making tweaks to my treatment.  There's obviously an improvement over when I was untreated, but I think there's room for improvement.

Is 5 nights worth of data enough to make any conclusions/decisions concerning how my treatment is going?

I've read that your min pressure should be ~2 cm lower than your 90% pressure.  Since my 90% pressure is ~9cm, should I go ahead and update the min pressure to 7?

Is there a rule of thumb for the max pressure based on 90% pressure value?

What is the Flex value?

I seem to be getting a stuffy nose throughout the night.  Is this due to too much humidification or not enough?

I guess that's it for now! 

Machine:  Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto w/humidifier and heated tube
Mask:  Philips Respironics Amara View

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Apnea but need guidance
(06-14-2017, 10:20 AM)rorielly Wrote: I've read that your min pressure should be ~2 cm lower than your 90% pressure.  Since my 90% pressure is ~9cm, should I go ahead and update the min pressure to 7? 8 would be better.  PR machines are a bit slow to react.

Is there a rule of thumb for the max pressure based on 90% pressure value?
No

What is the Flex value?
No sure I understand your question.  If you mean: what is it set to, then you've not given enough data.  I think the sleephead display should show what Flex is set to. You should also be able to see the Flex setting by the split in the pressure graph.

I seem to be getting a stuffy nose throughout the night.  Is this due to too much humidification or not enough?
Generally not enough.  But it can go either way.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rorielly - Welcome
(06-14-2017, 10:20 AM)rorielly Wrote: I installed Sleepyhead on my PC but it's almost too much info!  I'm not sure what I'm looking at really
Here is a link you should read to better explain the data:
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead

(06-14-2017, 10:20 AM)rorielly Wrote:  I had to argue to get my prescription from the clinic.  Eventually got the prescription and bough the machine online.
You should also get a copy of your Sleep test results for your files.

(06-14-2017, 10:20 AM)rorielly Wrote: I've read that your min pressure should be ~2 cm lower than your 90% pressure.  Since my 90% pressure is ~9cm, should I go ahead and update the min pressure to 7?
Generally that will work for a Resmed unit but the P-R machines are a little slower to respond to OA's and Hypopneas.  They need to be set closer to the 95% number.  I would set it to 9cm.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Thanks to Mongo for pointing out that my original post was incoherent.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rorielly,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
ok thanks for the info.

I'll update my min pressure tonight and see how things go.  

For the Flex setting, I didn't know what it did.  I just read it has to do with making it easier to exhale.  I guess I'll have to play with the setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
You're really doing well for the first week. you're tolerating wearing the mask and able to fall asleep with it on. that's further than a lot of people get. no need to be hasty in adjusting your settings.

I would turn the "opti-start" feature on. this will start the therapy closer to your 90% pressure on its own. no need to manually up the epap.

Flex is a comfort feature. A small amount of pressure relief when exhaling. higher the number, more relief.

Stuffy nose...increase humidity.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
ah ok thanks.  I'll look at turning on opti-start before making any major changes.
Post Reply Post Reply
good luck with your therapy.  I believe this link can give you the basics on the flex setting:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid206250

I do think that you can get a good setting by selecting min pressure at the greater of two values:

Median pressure
or
2 cm below 90% pressure.

Opti-start uses 30 hours of data to select a good start value, so will take longer than most of the forum nozzle-faces can stand.  I gave up on mine and turned it off.  It also didn't pick the pressure very aggressively.

A bit more about your AHI, please - can you tell what portion of your AHI is obstructive (OA), hypopnea (H), and clear airway (CA)?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
this is a screenshot of my sleepyhead stats.  As you can see, it's mainly hypopneas I have.  sorry, I had to figure out how to post an image.

This is last night (min pressure changed to 8):
[attachment=3585]

This one is from a couple of nights ago when it was set to min of 5 and no leaks.

Post Reply Post Reply
it turns out optistart was on, so I upped the min pressure to see how that works out.  It went ok, but I still have to tweak the mask fit as it has some small leaks that are annoying and waking me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 302 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 616 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Pressure] Looking for some pressure guidance lavenderlate 1 137 03-11-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Another new user needing guidance Unathletico 1 168 02-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: grubsztyl
  Brain Fog - seeking guidance in optimizing my therapy deocder 42 5,382 02-20-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: deocder
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 6 497 01-17-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  [Treatment] UARS With BiPAP - Looking for Some Guidance Sleepy541 2 414 01-07-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy541

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.