Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to ApneaBoard—Question about processes
Sad 
New to ApneaBoard—Question about processes
I have been reading old postings and trying to get a sense of how you do things around here. I am analytical by nature and like to be active in my healthcare, especially with a disorder so serious as sleep apnea. 

My understanding is that you use Oscar, sleep studies, and titrations to help improve sleep outcomes. If you adjust pressure settings without a prescription, do you get permission from your doctor to do so? Or, how does that work?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to ApneaBoard—Question about processes
A really good way to get acquainted with how we feel about issues like changing pressure is to read our wikis, and one you should start with the CPAP setup manuals at the top of this page https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual I'm certain you will find your answer there. We have covered many topics in our Wiki and you can find the links I think are most helpful to new members in a list of links in my signature.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Geoffrey.

Quote:If you adjust pressure settings without a prescription, do you get permission from your doctor to do so? Or, how does that work?

In my part of the world (and I believe in most parts of the world) you don't need a prescription for CPAP treatment, pressures or whatever. You might need a letter of "medical necessity" for insurance purposes.

In my part of the world we don't need permission from doctors to do anything. We are responsible for our own health - we turn to the doctor for diagnosis and advice, but whether or not we take that advice is our own call, and our own responsibility. The doc might scowl and get exasperated if we don't follow "doctor's orders" but there is nothing they can do about it. Of course, having paid for the advice you'd need a strong self-justification to ignore it.

Personally I haven't seen a sleep doc or RT in over six years - Doctor Apnea Board provides the knowledge and guidance I need.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your input.

You Thank you for your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are a couple things...

Read the sticky of what to do before getting a machine. If you are going to use CPAP, get an APAP (Auto) if you can. It runs as a CPAP too, and it is easier to figure out adjustments to your therapy. I have been using Resmed machines since 2001. And make sure you get a machine that gives data.

IMO, get a hard copy of your prescription if you can and just don’t have your doctor send to some DME. You may not have an option, but I wanted to pick my own DME, looked up reviews, called them, etc. You have more leverage with a prescription in hand. Also be aware that DMEs are notorious to want to downgrade, so get the model number of what you want. If they won’t give you the right machine, walk.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you John. Either fortunately or unfortunately, I am on a Medicare Advantage Plan, and as a result, I am stuck with a DME supplier. I am hoping for a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet as per the suggestions on this site. I want to get a heated hose as well. Hopefully, that will work out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2019, 05:01 PM)Geoffrey Wrote: Thank you John. Either fortunately or unfortunately, I am on a Medicare Advantage Plan, and as a result, I am stuck with a DME supplier. I am hoping for a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet as per the suggestions on this site. I want to get a heated hose as well. Hopefully, that will work out.
Insist on it.  There is more than 1 DME that you can use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2019, 05:01 PM)Geoffrey Wrote: Thank you John. Either fortunately or unfortunately, I am on a Medicare Advantage Plan, and as a result, I am stuck with a DME supplier. I am hoping for a ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet as per the suggestions on this site. I want to get a heated hose as well. Hopefully, that will work out.

I don’t know your situation, but I understand you have limitations.  Your plan may show multiple locations for the same DME supplier, (ex. Apria), if that is the case, try to find out which location has the best reviews, which might be moot.  I don’t think a 20 mile drive is very far, which I did because the DME got reviews that were off the charts.  My prior DME was 35 miles away.   I would drive 50 or more miles for a good DME.

With a prescription in hand you probably have more leverage, and if you can, get it in writing before you hand them the prescription.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
The pulmonologist sends a prescription to the DME and then they send out a respiratory therapist.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the accumulated Apneaboard wisdom on the ForHer algorithm? cathyf 2 712 04-03-2022, 04:34 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,425 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
Smile [CPAP] Diagnosis + prescription = Frustration... ApneaBoard + experimenting = Salvation! OldVet 8 2,452 11-28-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: OldVet
  Finally! Somebody is posting a battery/DC power thread to ApneaBoard! OMyMyOHellYes 3 3,824 06-29-2016, 08:04 AM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes
  Today is my One Year Anniversary on Apneaboard Forum SaldusMiegas 11 2,659 04-13-2016, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  ApneaBoard Appreciation Thread H2Daddy 1 1,517 03-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Last Post: truetopath
Thumbsup ApneaBoard.com move to new server a SUCCESS SuperSleeper 4 3,515 05-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Rritch

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.