Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Board and Desperate!
RE: New to Board and Desperate!
(06-20-2012, 09:16 PM)CHanlon Wrote:
(06-20-2012, 08:56 PM)sunsethealthman Wrote: The only other issue I have is GERD from a hiatel hernia. That and a lousy job that I hate going to every morning.

There've been a number of studies done that show links between GERD and OSA - as both a contributing factor and a symptom. I used to suffer from GERD pretty frequently... a few times a year. Haven't since I started CPAP 2 years ago... YMMV.

For a simple Gerd solution: try eating about half of an apple before bed. Red delicious helps. Any apple works Or. 1/4 cup aloe vera juice, and even a tsp of honey alone or in a cup of hot water with real apple cider vinegar. Gerd can wake you and be silent and you don't realize why you woke up. I also take one 5 HTP 100mg to help me go to sleep. If you have insurance, I'd see another doc and have a new study.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try raising the head of the bed by about 2".
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Although this website focuses on apnea, you really have to look at the overall picture. If your AHI is less than 5, I wouldn't necessarily be running to get another titration study done. You say you can't sleep, or not long enough. You say you can't fall asleep after awakening. You say that you hate your job. You say that life sucks.

In addition to everything else that has been discussed already here, have you been checked out for depression? OSA can lead to depression and depression can lead to more sleep issues. Sometimes, antidepressents can be helpful in breaking this cycle when CPAP alone isn't doing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2012, 08:56 PM)sunsethealthman Wrote: but the medical supply salesman stated that there was no way a person's mouth could come open, in that the air pressure to your nose would somehow hold your mouth shut!

Okay, you do realize that this sales guy is an idiot, right?

Secondly, even though it can be a very difficult thing to do, you might want to heed BabyDoc's advice and look into getting evaluated for depression. I know there are stigmas still attached to any sort of mental help being required and I think that us guys are probably the worst about admitting it and seeking out help, but honestly, sometimes we all just need a little help. You wouldn't hesitate to ask for help picking up the sofa... You will find that a lot of people around here have various other health issues besides just OSA and I'm positive I am not the only one who has struggled with depression. It seems that the more health issues someone has, the easier it is to slip into depression, at least that is my take on it. Good luck!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a complete solution, but I would also encourage you to get outside and enjoy the sunshine and have some relaxing recreational time in nature.

The "time off" diversionary period will help you immensely and the sunshine will help your Vitamin D levels, which should help somewhat with any tendency towards depression.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-21-2012, 07:50 AM)BabyDoc Wrote: Although this website focuses on apnea, you really have to look at the overall picture. If your AHI is less than 5, I wouldn't necessarily be running to get another titration study done. You say you can't sleep, or not long enough. You say you can't fall asleep after awakening. You say that you hate your job. You say that life sucks.

In addition to everything else that has been discussed already here, have you been checked out for depression? OSA can lead to depression and depression can lead to more sleep issues. Sometimes, antidepressents can be helpful in breaking this cycle when CPAP alone isn't doing it.

If you do seek treatment for depression thru medication, be aware how certain antidepressants can affect sleep, especially REM sleep. Welbutrin (bupropion) works fairly well for me with no ill side effects, but I once switched to Celexa when I thought the Welbutrin wasn't working. The Celexa wiped out my REM sleep and left me so tired during the day I almost felt I could die from exhaustion. A switch back to Welbutrin and I could get enough rest to function again.

Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, for many people their anti-depressants need to be changed every 2-4 yrs. The brain thinks depression is normal and will fight the medication until it can figure out a way around it. Eventually, the medication will no longer work. So by switching between 2 or 3 anti-depressants, the brain never has a chance to beat the medication.

Currently I am on Wellbutrin but it has been 3 yrs. It's past time to switch to another or add one. Wellbutrin works well by itself but it is also great at augmenting the benefits of other medications. Now I'm wondering just which one to switch to! I've never considered my sleep apnea would be effected by these medications but it makes sense.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,453 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 596 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  New to Board. Need help interpreting OSCAR Travel2BFree 23 1,748 12-07-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 762 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 527 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [News] Apnea Board News 2023 email copy SuperSleeper 0 678 10-10-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 698 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.