Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to Board not to Sleep Apnea
New to Board not to Sleep Apnea
I found this forum in my research on my sleep apnea and CPAP machine.

I was diagnosed in 2005 with sleep apnea and was given what you folks call a CPAP brick. No SD card, just a simple air pump. Oh what a relief it was! How I got diagnosed is a another story fro another post.

In 2012, I went in for another $1,800 sleep study and $900 later for my current CPAP machine. My current setup is a Phillips Respironics RemStar Pro C-Flex+ with humidifier and the Respironics Nuance nasal pillow mask. The original cmH20 was 9 and in 2012 it was upped to 10. The current 30day AHI is 1.45 and I haven't figured out what all the other stats mean as I just started using the sleepyhead software.

I started this latest round of research due to the fact that every year for the last four years, I have had serious infections that I have had to battle. The current one started as a cold, turned into acute sinusitis then into acute bronchitis. Don't want it to become pneumonia. Doc gave me a handful of prescriptions to fight this.

I am not the best at keeping up with cleanliness of my mask and suspected I am getting myself sick this way. I just replaced hose, headgear and mask. And even after reading the negative remarks here about SoClean and positive remarks about it elsewhere, I bought into that system as well.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it!

Bruce
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to Board not to Sleep Apnea
I need 4 posts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Bruce!! First, have you ever been evaluated for acid reflux? I had non-symptomatic acid reflux which created post-nasal drip which had me regularly getting sinus problems followed by bronchitis followed by pneumonia. For 6 years, twice a year, I was getting bronchitis and every other time pnemonia. Since I started on the 40 mg. of Omezoprele (Prilosec equivalent) daily 4 years ago, I stopped getting the post nasal drip, the bronchitis and the pnemonia. The sinus problems are less as well although they have another cause. Anyway, I'm just putting that out there as a possible cause of your problems. I'm currently focusing on losing more weight to hopefully eliminate this acid reflux once and for all, but it's a tough long haul.

Mask cleanliness IS an issue - the PT at the hospital regularly has patients who have respiratory issues due to not cleaning their masks and equipment. She is talking about MONTHS of not washing. I wash my stuff somewhere between once a week and every 2 weeks. I know lots of people rinse their nasal cushions once a day, but any wash basin is on the other side of the house, so I get to it when I do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another factor in respiratory conditions is if you have any sort of reactive airway disease -
When others have a simple cold, do you get a greatly exaggerated version of it?
Do you have asthma?
Do you have inhalant allergies?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Lifting the head of your bed can help some if you do not slide off.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dr Bobs Patient,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I clean my mask, humidifier tank and hose in warm, mild, soapy water once a week.

Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I too am new to this forum so welcome aboard all the way around!

I never focus on cleaning anything about my machine or tubing/mask and never have had an issue.  There have been times that my gear has not been cleaned in 6 or more months with the exception of the nasal pillows cause they start looking yukky.  Once in awhile my wife would do it for me just cause.  Once in awhile I will take a wet wipe and clean the nasal pillows if they look gross however.  It's not hard to keep things clean but easily forgotten!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 193 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,827 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 445 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.