Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP
RE: New to CPAP
Thank you all for the instructions and the welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

So my first night on CPAP went relatively well I think, I have a question and I am sure you guys will be able to point me in the right direction. I have my settings set at min 6 max 14, the doc set a ramp up time of 30 mins. I tend to fall asleep very quickly and found as I am having to sleep on my back (which I have never done before as the apnea wouldnt let me ) I would get an event and the mask would shake as I presume the pressure is too low and this would wake me. This went on for 3 hours until I managed to sleep through the shaking. Is this because the pressure is too low for my minimum? or is there another solution? When I woke this morning the pressure was at 10.7.

On the positive the 4 hours I did sleep I averaged 12 events, which considering I was over 60 without, for the first night I was quite astonished. The machines little report said the mask seal was good also. I have downloaded sleepyhead but I.T are out today so this will be installed tomorrow and I can post my readings if needed.

Many thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
the shaking mask is the machine working out why you stopped breathing, if it was a clear or blocked airway. It sends a pulse down I think after 4 or 5 seconds? and reads the return to work it out.
try it tonight when you go to bed. I would also get some sleepyhead charts up, the program is at the top of the page. With a 95% pressure of 10.7, I would raise to 8 and see how it goes for now.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ajack,

Many thanks, I will see how it goes tonight hopefully it will settle in quicker and not keep waking me just as I start to fall asleep Shy .
Post Reply Post Reply
Swiss, change your ramp to Auto or turn it off. With a starting pressure of 6 you don't need it anyway. The pulsating air is the FOT (forced oscillation technique) used by Resmed to determine if apnea is central or obstructive. It's pretty clear that if you are having obstructive apnea (OA) as you fall asleep your pressure is too low to start. If it is central apnea (CA) then this can be a normal sleep transition as breathing gets handed off to the autonomic nervous system. It eventually goes away, but software like #Sleepyhead will tell you what the machine determined to be happening.

My advice is to turn off ramp so the machine begins immediately to respond to obstructive indicators like flow limitation, snores and volume changes and increases pressure before these events occur. I'm certain after you have about a week of baseline information we can zero in on a more effective therapy pressure range. Another plug for therapy using nasal pillows, the FOT pressure fluctuations are not noticeable because the mask will not shake.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am guessing that your brain is still alert to the presence of an alien attack, and is assessing whether the thing attached to your face is friendly.  once the APAP machine demonstrates it's willingness to help, the brain settles down a bit.

when you raise your start pressure, you have even less events right off, and the machine pressure does not shutter as much.  this too allows for you to ignore the few shakes better.

good luck

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks both,

At least I know what the shaking is now and that's another thing less to think about. 

I will give that a go, I will chat with the doc about the nasal pillows although he seemed pretty insistent that I need a full mask, I will chat with him again to see what he says.

Definitely an alien attack lol ! Actually it really wasn't as bad as I thought although I need to find a way to sleep on my side without causing a leak as sleeping in my back is super strange. 

Once the software is loaded on my computer tomorrow I will do some downloads and more than likely ask on here for your thoughts. 

Thanks again, great having a forum for something I have no knowledge on.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are asking very good questions,

Read the links in my signature to learn more about Apnea and your treatment.  No hurry.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have adjusted the machine to no ramp as suggested and I will let you know how I get on. 

Interesting links bonjour thanks, great for a newbie !
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Swisssleeper, welcome to the forum. I'm thinking that you will be more comfortable and get an earlier start on your treatment with the ramp turned off. 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.