Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP (~2 months), still struggling
RE: New to CPAP (~2 months), still struggling
I would buy (and I did buy) a slightly used (mine had 1 month on it) ResMed VAUTO from Supplier #2 from the suppliers list on this site. Top ribbon. Great machine and a great company and it does come with a warranty. $799
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Your sleep study identified 11 CA and 8 H events in single pressure titration between 4 and 9 cm. I think your earlier results in this thread showed significant CA events and characteristic complex apnea. Your titration was with CPAP and while not a singel obstructive event was noted, your brilliant physician signed off on a diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea and recommended a fixed pressure of 9.0.

I agree you will do better with fixed pressure, but it won't fix the problem. Turn off Flex, and use the prescribed pressure of 9.0. We will see what we see.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2020, 09:08 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I would buy (and I did buy) a slightly used (mine had 1 month on it) ResMed VAUTO from Supplier #2 from the suppliers list on this site. Top ribbon. Great machine and a great company and it does come with a warranty.  $799

What in the results show that using a VUATO would be beneficial to me?
I know bonjour had suggested I get the same in the past.

Also, what about these alpha-intrusions?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2020, 09:59 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your sleep study identified 11 CA and 8 H events in single pressure titration between 4 and 9 cm.  I think your earlier results in this thread showed significant CA events and characteristic complex apnea.  Your titration was with CPAP and while not a singel obstructive event was noted, your brilliant physician signed off on a diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea and recommended a fixed pressure of 9.0.  

I agree you will do better with fixed pressure, but it won't fix the problem. Turn off Flex, and use the prescribed pressure of 9.0.  We will see what we see.

Thanks for that. I'll turn off flex before bed tonight.
Is it worth seeing a different sleep doctor for a better diagnosis? I'm not feeling super confident in who I have now.

Edit - Flex was already off.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the majority of your apnea events remain elevated and consist of centrals and hypopnea, there are relatively few options to improve that result using CPAP. We normally try using lower, constant pressure and this sometimes provides the needed airway stabilization against obstructive events and airway resistance, while avoiding excess ventilation that can induce hypocapnia and result in crossing the apneic threshold. Put more simply, increased ventilation in some individuals, flushes the CO2 from the pulmonary system and reduces respiratory drive. This is often seen as periodic breathing, along with CA and H events. When manipulation of CPAP settings does not resolve the problem satisfactorily, the appropriate response is to consider ASV (adaptive servo ventilation) therapy. ASV works by adjusting bilevel pressure support on a breath by breath basis to even out the breathing volume and rate.

If you are going to work with your existing or a new doctor, the path forward is to discuss that your tests and CPAP therapy both show central apnea as the predominate problem, not obstructive. You need to learn about ASV and why it is used, and be able to discuss your interest in resolving an unacceptably high AHI and unsatisfying sleep by using ASV. A good starting point is to read the Resmed Sleep Lab Titration Guide focusing on the flowcharts for CPAP and bilevel (VPAP) and the proper response to central apnea. https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf This source will also show you how ASV works. The other thing you need to understand is that all patients with sleep disordered breathing are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, regardless of their actual clinical presentation with central or complex apnea. All are started on CPAP and must fail CPAP in order to move on to the next higher level of therapy. This approach has been institutionalized by insurance companies to supposedly minimize costs by diverting all patients to the least expensive (CPAP) therapy first. It works! Many complex apnea patients with a mix of obstructive, central or therapy onset central apnea, end up frustrated, untreated and quit. Only those that know the game will move on to complain and get a titration study that progresses from CPAP through bilevel and trials ASV. Even the multi-mode titration study can be tricky because central apnea is "consistently inconsistent" and it is common for apnea events not to occur at some point during the titration, long enough that the test concludes that a successful titration has occurred. That is what happened in your last titration, and it will invariably fail when used at home long-term. See our wiki on Justifying Advanced PAP http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...P_Machines
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 54 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 269 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
Gross [Diagnosis] Moved from APAP to BPAP and struggling Spicykielbasa 1 221 03-10-2024, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Spicykielbasa
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,643 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 484 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.