Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much
RE: New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much
Thread split as requested. New thread for [Sheepless PLM] find here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...epless-PLM
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Opal
Post Reply Post Reply
oasised, I'm mentioning plm as something to keep in the back of your mind if you continue to see this pattern and have trouble resolving it with pap.

I've attached a screenshot from a bad night that looks a bit like your csr/pb.  I think the pattern I show would be flagged csr by my apap and asv (I don't think vauto flags csr) but I don't think it is csr but rather periodic limb movement. I see this pattern frequently, sometimes punctuated by events (of all kinds) sometimes not.  notice the oa in addition to the ca.  I saw oa and h in addition to ca in your posting.  

while I suspect mine is plm, I don't know that for sure (it's a bit different from the pattern I'm very sure of) and I don't know for sure I don't have heart problems in the making. again, plm in these patterns is just a suspicion at this point, but maybe worth a look for plm in the details of your sleep study.

as far as I know, the causes of most non-csr periodic breathing are largely unknown.  I'm beginning to wonder if periodic limb movement is a more common source than we know, particularly since we're not aware of it. 

Attached FilesThumbnail(s)
[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=24820]    
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys,

Been a bit busy the past few days, I've attached my last 2 nights - still a few CA's. Also, on both nights around 4:20 or so OSCAR reports no data at all - does anyone know what that could be? I've included a close up of that on the night of the 21st. I started using a Nasal pillow mask last night, so was kind of adjusting it here and there - I showed a few CA's 1:10 but I'm pretty sure I was awake fiddling around with it.

Bonjour - thanks for your detailed responses. Am I right in thinking that because I'm brand new to CPAP, that my body is essentially waiting for the CO2 level to build up before signalling to breath? As before, this happened quite regularly but now with the extra Oxygen from the CPAP it doesn't need to trigger this response, and this could be a cause of the CA's / Periodic breathing?

Do you think there is any settings I could adjust to improve this situation?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
at 4:31:30 you had a big inhale and a big exhale, that signals an arousal, next is no breathing followed by a CA event. The breathing that follows is biggeg, more volume than 'normal' and is flushing CO2, subsequent breaths are getting smaller, flushing less CO2 utill your CO2 drops below your apneic threshold which signals your body that your CO2 is low enough that you have no need to breathe. While you are not breathing CO2 is increasing ti just a little above your apneic threshhold and you take a small breath. Still low you take imcrementally larger breaths until you are breathing 'hard' enough to once again flush CO2 from your system and the cycle repeats.

Does that help some.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Bonjour,

Thanks for that, it does make sense. I wonder will that change as I get more used to the device. Do you think there are any settings I could fine tune to make things better for me? 

Below is my most recent night, numbers a good bit higher but have to say I've woken up feeling the best I have since getting the machine.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your EPR is currently set at 2
Let's try EPR=1 that should reduce your CA events and increase your hypopneas and flow limits. Your treatment on this machine will, at least for now be a balance between Central events, obstructive events and how you feel.

Start keeping a log of how you feel and report that here. The answer to that question either here or two your doctor must never be the rethorical I feel fine. Here and by your doc it is a request for issues which are also known as symptoms. Things like I always wake up with headaches, or it feels like I'm breathing through a straw, groggy thru the day.

In answer to your question, sometimes the Central apnea goes away as your body adjusts to a lower CO2 level over 2-3 months.

This means that your best therapy⁷ settings will definitely change going forward.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, do you think clustering of OA suggests a positional issue?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In general yes. Group size definitely the larger the more clear the call.
Did I miss something.
Post Reply Post Reply
No miss but I’ve been seeing small clusters that unusually seem come up when flow limits are low.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First (partial) night, no sleep NewlyDiagnosed 14 238 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  First night with new Bipap after sleep study and 37 AHI mostly CA PandaZA 89 1,575 Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  2 Night on CPAP! Need Advice ed2397 1 107 Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 250 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 476 04-19-2024, 05:23 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 176 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Middle of the night wakeup SteveC 1 146 04-10-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.